3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: feather burner  (Read 156 times)

Offline camodadd

• Trad Bowhunter
feather burner
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
strongly considering going to a burner and quit chopping. When you cut the feathers to length do you taper the quill on the leading (front) part of the fletch so as to give a nice smooth transition? also how do you keep from burning the quill/arrow?  I ve seen some arrows my buddies have done and they have burn marks on them, not really to interested in the burnt look. Thanks....Scott

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: feather burner
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
I set my burner `1/8inch high and trim with a very sharp knife/razer after burning to advoid the burned shaft( you have to play with burner ribbon till you get the right hight(burn or trim by hand) you want. Practice on broke arrows till you get the hang of it(do out side if you want peace in the house)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Fat Daddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
I love my Young burner and have been using it for about 15 years.  With a little practise you can avoid any burn marks. It is all in how you rotate the arrow when you are burning.  Personally, I set mine up so that I have to cut the last few barbs by hand when I taper the front and back of the feather to ensure a smooth transition to between the arrow and feather.  I burn all size of feathers from little wee ones for my kids arrows to large shield feathers that I use on my own arrows.  The burner is also great on feathers that have been spliced together.  I fully recommend a burner.

Good luck.

FD

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
You can put a piece of painters tape around the shaft at each end. you still have to be careful though cause it the tape starts on fire you get an even larger burn mark   :scared: . That only happened on my first one. Once you position the ribbon right and a little away from the shaft you will be golden.

Keep in mind the ribbon expands when it gets hot. only a little bit but practice arrows is \\highly recommended by me also.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
With a little practice, feather burning is easy and I think makes the quietest feather. The burned rounded edges make less noise than the sharp edges of a cut feather. No studies to show it but I believe it.

As far as the smell, it's kinda like Hoppes Number 9. It's a good smell that will bring back a lot of memories. I still burn mine in the basement as I like the smell. Kinda like the fire in camp.
Now my wife and kids aren't so fond of it.

You gotta do a little tinkering with the burner over other methods, but the end result is better than the other methods I have tried.

Good luck!
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Odor is romantic, as it means season is upon us
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©