3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Stu's Calculations :) Experts needed!  (Read 147 times)

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on Stu's Calculations :) Experts needed!
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
A brilliant tool, as I'm sure we all agree.

I'm just about to start putting together some Penthalon shafts, and they come with an extra long 52gn insert (2inches) and a thought hit my noggin:
"Won't inserts stiffen the shaft, thus making my precisely calculated 28" shafts behave like they're 26" because of the 2" insert?
I mean, inserts will keep the shaft from bending, won't they?
Or does the stiffness up front not interfere with the paradox, as the paradox is biggest at the 0% FoC area(around the middle). (or precise FoC?)
I thought about incorporating the insert as a footing in the calculator, will that work?

Thanks for any help, SveinD

As a sidenote:
As I am also using alum footing* on the arrow together with the long insert, how do I work out that problem?
I decided that 1/2 inch footing of 6gns would suffice so I don't think it's a big deal. Just my need for detail, sorry    :)  

*Yononindos aluminum footing that prevents the carbon shafts from splitting up front.
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Stu's Calculations :) Experts needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Im no expert but Stu covers this in his instructions, if i am reading it correctly as far as the insert goes you will check yes in the footing box and under length you should put the length of your insert minus .9"( standard insert length). as far as weight goes,I would just add the weight of your aluminum footing to the insert weight since the aluminum footing is shorter than your insert. hope this helps. Its also been my experience that the calculator usually shows a stiffer shaft than what I actually end up with after bareshafting. hope this helps. SAM

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Yes you have to add the extra length into the footing box in both scenarios. His instructions under "Footing" will explain it better than I could.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick response!
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©