3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow building wood ?  (Read 642 times)

Offline Shadow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow building wood ?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
I would love to get my hands on a couple Hickory peices. Thanks
Shadow Hunter
Hunting in the foot steps of Legends.

Offline Thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
T.J., I'm up near Ashtabula, but not much longer...I get down in your neck of the woods 2 or 3 times a month.  I go to Canfield to Baird Bros. sawmill for my finer s4s, etc. stuff.

OK, I called last night and talked to one of the sawmills I deal with in W.V.  Told him I was looking for minimum of 20 sticks hickory and 10 of black walnut in something like 2x2 or 3x3, all six foot long minimum.  Said he'd start laying aside for me, and my next trip down I will pick it up.  Now as I said before, that'll be a while...according to my orthopedic guy yesterday, I'm laid up for another 3 weeks minimum...which puts me further behind in work. On top of that, trying to work out a move to the other side of town over the next few months, including a 6000 sq ft shop.  Anyway, I'll use this thread for reference...to be fair, you'll get the wood based in order of the posts, sort of first come, first served.  When I get closer, I'll give an update on here.  I think the easiest way for me to ship this many would be in pvc tubes via ups.  I'm thinking (just thinking right now) that I'll send an extra stick to anyone that'll make an extra bow for a kid or adult for next year's St. Jude's auction...and I'll cover shipping.  If you just want a stick for yourself, that's fine too...but you pay shipping.  There's no charge for the wood itself.  Hopefully that sounds ok to everyone...or I'm open for other suggestions.

Offline Thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
BTW, I left cherry off the above....because I already have two masssive grade logs laying here ready to go to the mill....so I'll have cherry as well.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
Sounds great Thunder.  I could put all three types of wood to work in a couple bows for the auction.  Also, make sure you tell your guys at the mill that the pieces they set aside need to be straight grained and free of knots.  I assume you knew that, but wanted to make sure it got communicated to the folks there, so they don't set aside stuff that would be used for other woodworking (highly figured).
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
I would also be interested in some hichory 1 in x 2 in x6ft let me know when  :)    :)
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
I would like some hickory too, not sure what size?, just started building bows
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©