3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short Bow for a Short Draw Newbie  (Read 250 times)

Offline RusTia

• Trad Bowhunter
Short Bow for a Short Draw Newbie
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
Hello Gents,

I'm in the market for a short AMO recurve or longbow to suit my smaller stature.  I'm 5'3" and shoot a 40-50lb compound almost daily. My draw length is between 25" - 26" (I haven't settled on my shooting style/anchor points for traditional yet).

I started shooting stick bows at a young age (5yrs old) but switched to compounds as a pre-teen and have been shooting them exclusively since (I'm 26 now).  After visiting with my Dad recently and shooting a recurve again, I'm itching to get into traditional.

The recurve I was shooting was a 60", 35lb - certainly fun, but felt too big for my spastic and wiry little frame  :)

In summary, I'm lookin' for something with 48" - 56" AMO.  At least 35lb rating so I can hunt with it someday (my primary goal). And here's the kicker...I've only got about $300 to spend  :(

What are your thoughts?

THANKS!!!!!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short Bow for a Short Draw Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Buy used for the first bow, just to discover what you like.

Good luck,
F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
x2 on the start used. I started 4 - 5 years ago and I've been through probably 20 different bows. I buy a used bow that sounds perfect, then find something different that I want to try. I just checked and my total cost from the buying and selling and the opportunity to try a lot of really quality bows has been less than $100. Buy one decent bow new and then change your mind and you will be out that $100 or more and will have only tried one bow.

The other , maybe most important thing to do is find a local trad group and try everything they have to offer and you will get a lot of valuable suggestions at the same time.

I figure its one heck of a fun trip and I'm going to enjoy as many stops along the way as possible.

Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Used bow or might want to take a look a Maddog midsize.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
Used.
I am 5'4" and love Kodiak Magnums. You can get them used for around 100 to 200 dollars, depending on year and condition. Tons of them out there in all poundages. They are all 52" AMO.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
I second Killy, I started my nephew with a Kodiak Mag when he was 12 and to this day he favors the Mags over all the customs that I have had. He is now 17 yrs. old and has a 28.5" draw.That's the little guy in my Avatar.Nows he's 5'11" and about 200lbs.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Lots and lots of used bows on the "auction site"(or here in the classifieds) in the 48" to 56" range. One note, brand names other than Bear usually go cheaper .....Browning, Shakespere, Ben Pearson, Wing, Herters, etc. I have the same draw length as you, keep in mind when selecting a draw weight that all those bows's draw weights are marked at a 28" draw, so deduct about six lbs. and you'll have what you would be drawing.

Welcome to the TradGang!!  :clapper:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
HMMM I have a like new Martin Rebel I've been contemplating selling. Just can't convince myself that it needs to go.

Offline RusTia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  My dad's first recommendation was a Bear Magnum too, but the Maddogs are awesome (but I don't know if I can hang on for 10-14 weeks).  

Plenty for me to think about.  Wish there were more trad shops around Western PA so I could put my hands on a few!  Oh well.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Welcome. Bear Kodiak Mag, Wing Red Wing Hunter, Browning Wasp, Howaat Hi-Speed. All available for under 200 bucks, just keep an eye on **** and Craigslist.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Another vote for a K-Mag if its gotta be short.  I've got two and absolutely love them, but I shoot a little longer bow much better.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I'm barely 5'3"... anything less than perfect form will not get me to reach all of my 25 inches draw length. I like my short bows around 54"-56"... though I prefer 60" or longer now. After shooting longer length bows for a while you start to not notice the couple of extra inches.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Welcome back to Trad. For your bow, go used you will need the extra $$ for other accessories. Also, starting out light weight is perfect.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Kodiak Mag >------->
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
I am also a chort guy and have tried many bows and have built 30 some bows. On a good day I reach a 25" draw so I have been trying to find the best between the speed and the smoothness 0f a bow. I finally built a 56" static tip recurve that seems to give me the best of both worlds. You should buy used as they all suggested to see what sort of grip fits the best for you and what length is comfortable. Then you know what direction to go. Just have fun and welcome to the Gang.      :wavey:  

Chort

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©