3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: .003" or .006"?  (Read 458 times)

Offline pznuts

• Trad Bowhunter
.003" or .006"?
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Can anyone make an argument for the additional cost of .003" arrows? Whether it is 3D or a hunting situation is there anyway that .003" difference would be noticable? Isn't this just a way for the arrow companies to make more money? Your thoughts.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: .003" or .006"?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
pz,  It all depends on your skill level!  For MOST shooters, you will never be able to tell the difference.  It is NOT a marketing gimmic as straighter shafts DO add to accuracy BUT  most of us don't shoot well enough to see or tell a difference.

I see this is your first post, how long have you been shooting?  How good are you (really)? If you are a beginner, just get the arrows you can afford, don't worry about whether they are the "best" you can find AND SHOOT them.  For hunting and 3D, and the associated distances your form and consistency will have a MUCH larger effect than just buying "better" arrows.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Some people want nothing but what they perceive to be the best and are willing to pay more for it (kind of like paying $20 - $30 each for broadheads). Arrow companies sort the straightest shafts and charge a premium for them. As to whether not there's any real value: show me a recurve shooter who can shoot the differemce and I'll show you someone who just got home from London.

Offline pznuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I am alright. If I am shooting 3D I shoot about 80 per 10. This is my third year shooting and I am still improving. My thinking is that anyone who is shooting wood must be outside of these tolerances, so why pay the extra price. I could see if you were in the Olympics, but if you are only shooting out to 30 or 35 yards max what would you buy?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Blems.
But I have only been a shooter for 48 years. And I have a not-so-good learning curve.

Killdeer   :D    :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
If it makes a difference in your head it makes a difference.

The reality is there is a very very very select few who could really tell the diference in their shooting.  I think Jason said it pretty well.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Don't burst my bubble Ferret...just got some .006's and lovin them from woods...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Blems.
But I have only been a shooter for 48 years. And I have a not-so-good learning curve.

Killdeer    :D      :wavey:  
My curve seems to be more like a circle, or a straight line, or both.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Only about 10% of all archers today would be able to actually shoot well enough to see the difference. But as stated above if it gives you extra confidence go with the better.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
I do not think I can tell in a trad bow, but I do wonder if anyone ever checks them to see if there is a real difference.  

Do you really think a company runs two different machines to make the same shaft with one machine set to less straightness?   Or maybe they run them on the same machine but dial the straightness up or down by batch?  Maybe they use the old warn out ties or something to run the less straight shafts.  Do they sort every shaft and put them in different piles? Or just maybe they are all the same shaft.

My inquiring minds actually would like to know the inside scoop on this.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
I do not think I can tell in a trad bow, but I do wonder if anyone ever checks them to see if there is a real difference.  

Do you really think a company runs two different machines to make the same shaft with one machine set to less straightness?   Or maybe they run them on the same machine but dial the straightness up or down by batch?  Maybe they use the old warn out ties or something to run the less straight shafts.  Do they sort every shaft and put them in different piles? Or just maybe they are all the same shaft.

My inquiring minds actually would like to know the inside scoop on this.
The companies make all shafts in the same machines at the same settings. They are then dial checked and matched.

Those which show the smallest variances have premium placed on them.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
You also still have to check the straightness for yourself. They only check the middle 28in of shaft for straightness and they can be pretty crooked at the ends. If that kind of precision is what you're after you might look at aluminum as they are the most ecomical in those tolerances.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Honestly I doubt there is anyone on this forum that tell a difference.  And if they could it would be at distances greater than 40 yards.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Shooting indoor 20 yards I only use .006 carbons and have shot over a dozen 300"s. Not with my stick bow.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Interesting stuff.  I still wonder if they are running short on an order of .006 if they just don't throw in .003's.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Probably right whats been said here, that most couldn't tell the difference...but then who knows for sure. The fact is that .003 is straighter than .006
My personal goal is to strive to shoot the very best I can. So if my thinking is that any of my equipment is but satisfactory, okay or "good enough", I'm afraid that thinking would likely be how I'd view my shooting accuracy too.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I've never shot noticeably better with carbons than I shoot with woodies.   My woods are never even close to .006" straight, bigger differences in weight, and eventhough spined really close, I would think natural grain would make one arrow flex a bit different than the next.

So, either .003" difference doesn't mean anything, or I'm a poor shot with any arrow...hmmm, don't answer that.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Dang, you mean there might be a difference in one of my misses betwixt .003 and .006!!!     :knothead:  
 Actually the majority of us have a lot more problems with our shooting to be concerned with than a few thousandths of an inch in an arrow shaft to my way of thinking. Nothing wrong with seeking perfection but nothing wrong with being the best you can be with what you got either, or can afford.  
 Wooden arrows can be shot very, very well but .003 or .006 has never been a factor to me using them. If they spin straight they be really fine. My carbons spin straight so I'm happy.
 Good shootin'
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline pznuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Maybe someone needs to run a test with a shooting machine and post the results at different yardages. I guess you could start off with the straightest shafts and get it dialed in. Then use the less tolerant shafts and see how much they deviate from the mark set by the straightest shafts. It might be something that could be requested of Traditional Bowhunter Mag, who knows?

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
I know that I can't tell the difference in new shafts between .003" and .006" runout.

Shoot the arrows for a while and check them for straightness; it just may surprise you.
Ken Thornhill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©