3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's important to you in a bow?  (Read 438 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
What's important to you in a bow?
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
What factors are most important to you in a bow when getting to "know" one?
-Smooth Draw
-Quiet shot
-Appearance
-Ergonomics
-Handling
-Hitting where you look
-Fit/Finish
-FF compatibility
-??????
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's important to you in a bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
I'll start with the first answer.
For me, a smooth draw, ergonomics of the grip and my ability to hit what I'm shooting at are first and foremost important.
Scoring well on the other factors is obviously a plus too.
There's few things more pleasing than picking up a bow that feels good in the hand, draws smoothly and hits where I want it to.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
1.  The fit and feel of the grip
2.  Smoothness of draw
3.  Fit and Finish
4.  Wood selection

If these are to my liking, the accuracy etc. will come.
Ken Thornhill

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Hitting where I'm looking is the most important, what good is any bow if it dont shoot well for ya.

Must be quiet, real quiet without putting a scane of yarn on the string.

Fit & finish, tells me the bowyer is proud of what he is building and its probably good quality. Doesnt have to have a $1000 of excotic wood to be finely crafted and finished.

Must be FF compatible, I hate Dacron strings. Its not a performance thing at all, just dont like the feel of them after the shot.

Dont realy care what it looks like, I dont like black galss or natural(blond)bamboo, other than that I can learn to like it.

And which ever category the grip fall into, a good grip is essential.

Other than that not much else matters to me.

Eric

Offline daniel reynolds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Smooth draw and the grip!
Obama,what a joke!

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
1) Hitting where you look
2) Ergonomics, Handling
3) Quiet shot
4) Smooth Draw
5) Fit/Finish and Appearance
6) FF compatibility

A simple way of putting it may be:

I buy a bow to shoot and hunt, accurate is a must, great handling is a must, and being able to make it quiet is a must.  The smoother the draw and better it looks, the happier I am.  Also, FF compatible is nice only because it gives me more options but if an old string works better thats what I'll use.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
I like a bow that shoots where you look first and foremost. Secondly,it has to be whisper quiet. and last but certainly not least, it has to be aesthetically pleasing but not to busy like a pizza with 8 toppings. A cocobolo riser with either osage or yew limbs with no accent stripes & etc. I want a bow that's ready to get a few scratches on it cause it's not to "cosmetic" for hunting ! ... just my preference.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Yes.......to all on your list. If it's right you'll know it in a very short period of time! The only thing that is not "REAL" important to me is if it's FF ready.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Grip and quiet.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
the first thing is how it makes me feel when I pick it up. If it doesn't make me feel good, nothing else matters
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Hit where I look.

I just came in from shooting a beautiful bow with carbon limbs that's as smooth as any I've ever shot. It's quick and quiet as can be and fit and finish is perfect. The grip seems to fit me just right and love the way it feels in my hand.

I've had this bow for 2 months and I really have to work hard to get it to hit where I look. It doesn't come to me naturally at all.

This is the second one of this particular bow I've owned and I thought I may not have given the first one enough time. I really want to like this bow. I've always thought that my brain would adjust to about any bow and has until these bows. I've come to the conclusion that there's some that I just can't shoot well.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
I think how pretty a bow is; is the most important...   :saywhat:    :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
When I put my hand to my bow I fully expect to be transported to "Sherwood" or I'll be switching bows.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
The bowyer is most important to me.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
All of the previously mentioned qualities are important to me too. I would have to include "price" to the list. I do enjoy a low priced, smooth, comfortable gripped bow.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
I like one with a soft early draw, seems the ones that build up early interfer with my concentration.  I know it costs a bit of speed but well worth it to me.  Also like a bow that is quite.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I want it to fit lightly and easily in my hand and to draw smoothly. If it is a hunting bow quietness becomes important. I most prefer (but not always)the classic D shape. I like simple but elegant lines, maybe that's why I like Hill bows so much. Generally, I like dark or at least subdued coloration. Lastly, it needs to point well for me. If it won't go naturally to where I'm looking, I'll soon be looking for another bow. I won't say any one of these characteristics is more important. I need all of them or the bow just won't keep my attention.
Sam

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
For me the most important thing is the grip.  Chris Cox makes the best grip for my hand on his Habu bows so that is what I shoot.  Lack of handshock is the second most important. Handshock messes with my shooting for some reason. Mass weight is also very very important to me.  I simply do not shoot light mass weight bows as well.  I like a bow that weighs well over 2 pounds. Habus and black widows fit that description for me. I also like a large sight window.  On the old habu recurves the sight window is 5.5 inches, and I believe it is the same on a Black widow MA.  I also prefer bows with the limbs mounted on the belly.  A higher brace height is desireable to me.  Less chance of hitting clothing during colder months and also more forgiving in my opinion.  Cosmetics are the least important thing to me since my bows generally take alot of abuse anyway.  For some reason, no matter how hard I try, I cannot keep them away from screw steps when raising or lowering them to my stand!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Smooth draw, grip, consistent-stable-forgiving performance. Fit and finish, and #1=the bowyer.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
For me it must say Schafer Silvertip!    :bigsmyl:

Sorry I couldn't help myself
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©