3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anyone actually scout anymore?  (Read 931 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Does anyone actually scout anymore?
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I have noticed since trail cameras came out that I see less people out scouting both right after season and before season on the public areas I hunt.  Don't get me wrong, I like it.  Solitude is important to me.  I use trail cameras mostly for the enjoyment, but in my opinion they in no way replace boot leather on the ground.  We have had some cooler weather here lately and I have been having a ball scouting new public areas without the interference of other people.  It's getting close guys!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anyone actually scout anymore?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I don't scout as diligently as I used to. I have my own piece of property that I am very familiar with, so I know pretty much where the deer are as I am out there a lot all year long (except in this last heat wave).  I do go out ahead of the season to see if any stands need to be re-positioned and if they are all in good condition.

I do try to notice if the surrounding land owners do anything that might alter the way the deer would move through my place.
Sam

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Yes. Constantly.
David M. Conroy

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I think you would need a couple dz. cameras before you could slack off on scouting.
Hap

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
yes absolutely, as often as possible.
I walk the trails just to see why they are there, h2o or food or cover.  check the water holes for tracks and, well, I need the exercise. Elk live in very high and steep country.....
Also I get to shoot stumps...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline AZWarts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
yup. I can barley afford to scout let alone buy cameras. I find a lot of neat stuff out here so it makes it fun.
A superior pilot uses superior judgment to keep from using his superior skills.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Sam, yea I know what you are saying.  On my small places I can hunt, I have scouted them to the point I just about know every tree on the property.  In that case it gets to the point where alot of scouting just is not necessary.  I get bored when I do not have enough places to scout.  I love a new area whether it be private or public...although I would prefer private ground with limited access!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Spending tomorrow morning hunting squirrels and looking for deer.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
Strangely I'm too lazy to run cameras but not too lazy to hike and find deer on foot. Maybe I'm just cheap and don't want to risk money on having somebody steal my stuff.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
Constantly scouting as I hog hunt...which is several times per week.  My brother uses trail cams on a couple of pieces of property we hunt but not really as a scouting tool.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Yes. I just wished I had more days to go.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
By the way...not trying to knock trail cams.  I use them and get a great deal of enjoyment from them.  Just noticed that it seems alot of people have used them to replace actually on the ground scouting.  Which is good for me!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Year round for us, Cams, Shed hunting, scouting, field watching and boot leather.   :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Tracy, me too.  I know the question is kind of a trick question on this site, since there are so many passionate hunters here.  Im just noticing all of this in general with the bulk of the hunters out there!   By the way, you always have excellent pics that I always can't wait to see!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
I scout as much as I can; cameras are a good tool and work well in conjunction with scouting.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
I'd bet the folks that use trail cams in lieu of scouting never did much scouting in the first place.  Scouting is one of my favorite things to do.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
I love to get out and scout. Not happening very much this season with a 4 month old at home, so unfortunately my camera does most of my scouting. BUT like said before, a camera doesn't come close to getting out there and doing it right.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Never had or used a trail cam. I think it makes a person lazy, gets them thinking hunting is always easy, and way too selective. Kinda like a plug and play for hunting. Most of the places I hunt for any season I've already been on and know where to go without scouting. New place always starts with a topo map and if possible google earth.
Aim small miss small

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Im with you guys.  Scouting is the hunting in my opinion.  Its so much fun!  I hope the younger generation of hunters coming up these days are not missing out on this!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
I look at it differently I guess. Yes you can bye a Trailcam find a trail or pond or what ever and put the thing up and get a few picks. Nothing hard about that and yes it makes some people lazy or cocky.

Thats not how we use them, We want to know were every bedding area, water hole, bench or saddle, fruit tree's, nut tree's, Main scrapes and rub lines are as best we can. Some of that we learn from scouting, Some from Google Earth but most of it is from getting out there and doing some good old scouting and breaking in new boots.

I've seen many a person on here down grade the cams at one time or another. Then a buddy loans them one or they bye one at a garage sale and try it. Some of them have not a clue how to set them up just like picking the right stand location and never get many picks.

Then some get lucky and pick the right spots and low and behold they find a bunch of deer or just one that they had no idea were even on there property. Then they start getting turkey picks, coyotes, bobcats and they say hey these things are pretty cool. All the sudden there the best things out there when really there are just another tool for the bowhunter to use.

It just depends on how you use them and how hard you want to work at it. Nothing will replace getting your boots on and getting your butt back in the timber and seeing everything with your own eyes.

Good luck this year everybody!  :thumbsup:

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©