3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anyone actually scout anymore?  (Read 928 times)

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anyone actually scout anymore?
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
My hunting spot is 1 hour and 15 minutes without traffic so 40 minutes seems like paradise to me.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
What can I say?

I grew up hunting behind my house in the back 40.  If I cant do that, I dont do it.

Exceptions can be made of course (obviously Im gearing up for the Hill Hog Hunt, but that is more for meeting folks and commradrarie really) but my hobbies have to be convenient or I dont enjoy them.  I switched from hunting to wood and leather work.  Still shoot the bow in the back yard though.

I still choose to contribute here even though I am not a Trad Bowhunter necessarily.  I have done it and I can still speak the language.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
No need.  Most all of my hunting occurs in small pockets of timber between houses/ housing plans.  I already know where the deer are, the hard part is sneaking up on the deer or getting to your stand without being detected.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by WidowEater:
What can I say?
  I still choose to contribute here even though I am not a Trad Bowhunter necessarily.  I have done it and I can still speak the language.
If you've ever drawn back on a critter with a stickbow in real life or in your head, you'll always be a tradhunter at heart.   :thumbsup:     :campfire:  

Heck, I shoot at bee's and mosquitoes in the backyard, LOL!  I hope my suggestions did not offend, I have had limited opportunities myself and am anxious to offer any help I can.   ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
No offense taken ever my friend.

We all make different choices for different reasons and I even find myself taking pot shots at the occasional squirrel or raccoon in my back yard.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I just gave a couple talks at the QDMA national convention in Nashville last week. I might have ruffled a few feathers in the fact I'm of the opinion there are more ways to hunt bucks than sitting over a food plot. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of food plots in order to nutritonally help the herd during rough times and/or to keep some local deer out of sight in order to discourage drive-by shootings, etc. But I fear many of todays young hunters are bypassing the fundamental woodsmanship skills  learned only through time spent in the woods. We all need the practical experience. There's no substitute for it. It's fine to read all the books, watch the videos and listen to the seminars, but then get out in the woods for the practical application of what you've learned. You'll likely learn something new and develop your own opinions. Your greatest weapon is your mind. It will turn shooting into hunting. And in doing so you will develop a more personal relationship whether intended or not. You'll feel a special bond during the pursuit. This bonding with nature is a closeness I feel a lot of hunters are cheating themselves out of. And some modern technologies are eroding these basic woodsmanship skills along with the foundations we need to be nurturing. The future of our sport will depend on it. BW

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Amen to that Barry. "Turning shooting into hunting"....you miss soooo much of what hunting is all about unless you learn the ways of your prey and just the experiences you encounter being in the woods. It is getting to be more about the kill than the experience. "Immediate gratification" comes to mind.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
I am very familiar with the area that I hunt and the deer's behavior. It doesn't take me long to determine what foods are available and I can almost predict how the deer will move given that info. I am also becoming more convinced that the use of trail cameras, while they offer really useful information, can be detrimental to your hunt if you check them frequently. I used to believe that checking the cameras would get the deer "used to me". However, I am more convinced as time goes on that they pattern me better than I pattern them. It also doesn't take me very long to check on the major trails to determine how the deer are using them. Despite all that, as the season progresses and variables change so does the deer movement. So, how and where my stands are on day one may be very different by the last day of our 3 month long season. Things are very different on Dec. 15 than they were on Sept. 15.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Ryan. I am with you on that one too. I normally do very little scouting in the summer. But I do scout new public areas in the summer simply because I have never been there before and I figure some familiarity with the area will be beneficial. Mostly my scouting in August consists of glassing food sources to see what is in the area. Barry. Great post. That answer is perfect!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
I find that in the swamp that I typically hunt, every year there are changes and you need to walk it to see them.  Things grow out, things die, things fall over.  The neighboring farm plants corn, or beans or alfalfa and that changes things.  Oaks have acorns aplenty, or none, and that changes things.

ChuckC

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Well, IMHO, all valid reasons Pro and Con. In my case I use one really good camera and set that camera after I scouted an area. The camera is my tool to record and capture the game species or activity I expect is in the area. Sometimes the camera confirms what I expected and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised of what the camera captured. Oh, and I do not go and check every day...I have left my camera out for weeks, months and even two seasons, before I get the SD to view the pics. And lastly, I use the pics to have a rough inventory of the wildlife for my own use and part of my management plan for my property.

JL   :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I scout a lot whenever checking out a new area but normally hunting old haunts very minimal.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
I try and do my scouting in the winter/ early spring. Love walking around then. Then I go in about 2 months before season opens, hang my stand, trim shooting lanes and get out till the season opens. I use scouting cameras as well and is a very useful tool. I agree, nothing like doing a little walking
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I did a little looking around yesterday and this morning..in the 50's this morning. Found some white oaks dropping in S. Il.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I'm with Ryan R. on this one.  My scouting schedule is just about the same as his.  I hit it hard after deer seasons are over until greenup time.  I hang my stands in July and stay out of the timber until I'm ready to hunt.

I'm blessed to have a farm to hunt here in Iowa where I'm the only bowhunter allowed to hunt it for the past twenty nine years.  I'm also very fortunate to own my own piece of paradise in Wisconsin that gets zero pressure except by me and my son Jay.  I'm very, very thankful for these hunting opportunities.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Barry, not only did you hit the nail on the head you "hammered"
it with your comments!!!!

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
The Federal land I hunt does not allow camers to be left out. and they only let scouting from Sept 1 from noon until sunset till the end of bow season which is Jan 31.
I normally walk in to areas that have been good to me in the past and find acorn tree that are dropping.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I was in a bit of an arugument with a fella last year concerning baiting deer in Ga. Its legal and nothing wrong with it if thats what you want to do but i believe a lot of bow hunters here will now trade their scouting skills for a bucket of corn.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©