3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9058 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Weather today is really crappy, fog rain and misty, got my chores done and had some lunch....I'm off. Going to take the Silvertip for a walk on the State Land to still hunt and scout a bit at the same time. Just some sneak and peek.......It should be silent under foot.....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Good luck Ron!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
sometimes those are the best days afield Ron...good luck

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
All silent in the woods this afternoon, found some really good sign, worth an early mourning trip in the near future. The colors are really coming on and leaves are falling from the canopy. It got real warm and the mosquitoes were out in force!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I just got in from my first Southern zone hunt this evening.I sat for the last two hours,as I get home around 4:30.The only game spotted were seven turkeys around fifty yards out.I hunted Thursday to Saturday in the Northern zone.Four sits and one doe spotted.It is nice to have these early days.Once the time change occurs I am limited to weekends.Good luck to all

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Went down to hunt yesterday and found that some P.O.S. had sliced the ratchet strap on my ladder stand!!!!!   :mad:  I guess the Great One was looking out for us, as I was going to put Tyler up into it opening day, but he wanted to hunt from the the stone cicle.

This individule does not have permission to hunt the ptoperty,and sneaks in through a small piece of land boardering the cemetary. Last season,I had seen his truck parked on a dead end side road, and we found his climbing stand at the base of a tree about 50 yards from my stand. My friend, (a cop) wanted to "confiscate it"... But I talked him out of it. My reasoning was, if you stood where his climber was, and looked toward my ladder stand... You could BARELY make out the sides of the ladder, and we were LOOKING for it. I thought it was pretty brazen to put his stand that close, but I chalked it up to a dumb mistake!!!

Opening day of gun season, I heard him take 1 shot from the stand. I waited about 10 minutes to see if anything would come my way, then headed down to see what he got. Well, apparently he had missed. There was a 12ga shell case at the base of the tree, and a scent rag hanging in a bush. Both him and the climber were gone!!! Apparently he figured he better "git gone,or git caught" and had beat feet outa there... We didn't see any sign of him for the rest of the season.....

What really ticks me off is, why do people sneak into a spot to hunt, then they want the place all to themselves??? It doesn't matter to them if someone gets hurt... "If he's hurt, he can't hunt" seems to be the mentality!!!   :confused:  What if I HAD put my son in that stand???   :scared:  

The really SAD thing is, although there are only a few of us that hunt there, EVERYONE who has asked was given permission to hunt!!!!! We all have each others cell #'s and keep each other posted when and where we will be hunting. It's also nice to know you have help if needed to track or DRAG a deer!!!

I bought a couple sets of ratchet straps and will secure the stand this week. However... I honestly can't say what I'll do if I find his climber at the base of a tree this season.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Chuck,

Shake it off. remove his stand and pin a note on his tree that he can find it with your cop friend.  my guess is that you will get a new stand and never see the guy again. i'm glad no one was hurt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Well I'm off to a slow start in my neck of the woods. I was only able to get out tuesday morning and the only deer I saw was the one I jumped on my way to my stand. I hope the weather cools down some cuz all the rain and warm temps are killin me.   :eek:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
woodchucker, same thing happenned to me but on regular hang on stands. They even stuck the strap into the stand to make it look like it was not cut. I guess they hoped i would step into the stand and it wobble loose and I fall and break my neck. All this for a hunting spot. Simply tragic that another hunter would want someone to lose his life or get paralyzed.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
That's bad business fellas. Id get sadistic if someone tried to do me like that. I always worry about that when my stands are left out for long.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
I had a pretty heavy strap on a ladder stand cut almost all the way through a few years ago.  I noticed it while climbing up.  I always wondered how it was cut.  It was on private property where I was the only one with permission to hunt.  I hated to think someone would intentionally do that.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
A few years prior to that, on the same property, I had my strap-on stand and climbing sticks stolen.  I wrote in a hunting forum for the local newspaper about it and that I had a trail cam set up and got pics of the person taking it.  I said that I was going to Wal-Mart to have the pics printed.  Well, the next morning that stand, the sticks and the strap were neatly placed under the tree.  I guess the guy saw my post.  Oh, I didn't have a trail cam, but my ploy worked.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Now THAT's FUNNY right there!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
It is funny now, Chuck    :biglaugh:  

But at the time, I was searching the trees on opening morning with my "pre-LED" dim little flashlight with no luck.  Once it got light enough to see, I realized I was at the right spot, just no sticks or tree stand.  It let it pretty much ruin my hunt for that morning. I thought that hunting from a tree stand was the only way to go back then.  Now I hardly get up in them!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Well, The woodchucker SCORED AGAIN today!!!!!

(but not on a deer...)

I went down to the cemetary today and resecured my ladder stand with a new ratchet strap that I bought. Then, I sat in it for about 2 hours untill it started to rain. I headed out, put my stuff in the truck, and headed home.

On the way home, I pass right by the GoodWill store.....

(Most of my friends here know how much I LOVE shopping at GoodWill!!!)

So, I pulled in.....

As I was scanning the racks for wool sweaters and such, something caght my eye..... It was Red... and Black... and VERY heavy... and there was a gentleman standing RIGHT in front of it!!! Soon, he moved on, and around to the other side of the rack. I carefully and slowly made my way over to the rack. 1 by 1, I stalked my way toward my target... THEN I STRUCK!!!!! As quickly as my Brother Hawk, I swooped down and snatched my prey.....

It was a brand new, size 46, (just right for Tyler) Red&Black Plaid, insulated Woolrich Mackinaw!!!!! I looked and looked, but try as I might... I just couldn't find a price on it. So, I took it to the cash register anyway. (after all, this is the GoodWill store. How much could it possibly cost???)

I asked the girl at the register, "Do you know how much this costs??? I can't find a price on it"

$8.50 she says!!!!! SOLD!!!!!!!!!!  :bigsmyl:

Once again..... Woodchucker one heap happy Indian!!!!!

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
A very succesful evening, Chuck  :clapper:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I finally got some time off from work. I'll be in the woods in the morning. Its been driving me nuts reading all the posts on here and not hunting myself. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I heard blood has been shed. must get details yet hopefully the rightful party will post up!

Nice find Chuck!!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
C'mon Charlie!!!!! Give us a hint!!!

North, South, or West???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©