3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9088 times)

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Its supposed to be dry this afternoon. At least in my area. I'm going out and hopefully meet up with this guy. I checked my camera on the way out of the woods yesterday and had this pic.

The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Going with my best friend after work for our 1st trad hunt together. Last year was his 1st year with stickbows but life prevented us from getting out together. We'll be hunting rensselaer co.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Going with my best friend after work for our 1st trad hunt together. Last year was his 1st year with stickbows but life prevented us from getting out together. We'll be hunting rensselaer co.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: October 14, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
pouring here right now but i'm heading out to scout, move a stand and stump shoot!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: October 14, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Well, The Boys have gone... They have long drives ahead of them.

First and foremost, I would like to thank them for coming to share thier time with Tyler and I!!! Tyler was "absorbed" right into the "Gang" and had the time of his life!!!!! He feels 10 feet tall right now!!! These men, VERY Dear friends of mine, are my Brothers. They took Tyler under thier wing, and did everything they could possibly do, to make it a very special time for him!!! We are VERY Blessed to have these fine men in our lives,and I am a VERY LUCKY man, to have these men of such high caliber, as my Friends!!!!!

The Gang got here friday night around midnight,and it was like a "family reunion"... Tyler was introduced to everyone and they were instant friends! Charlie brought Tyler a green&black Woolrich shirt,and a wool sweater. Also, Manny presented Tyler with a BEAUTIFUL, M.L. knife, That Tyler absolutely loved!!!!! (the next day Tyler told me that he was AMAZED that Manny gave him such a beautiful knife!!! I explained to him, that it is "good luck" on both ends, to give someone a knife) Beer and laughs, along with hunting plans, lasted untill 2am... Then it was off to bed.

Saturday morning was clear and cold... (FROSTY was more like it!) The plan was to hit Stewart Airport by 6am,so we would not be able to sample Nathan's wonderful cooking untill later. Well that didn't happen. When we got there, they had already opened the gate and we had alittle difficulty finding a parking spot. We found 2 close spots by a few standing corn fields. The plan was to hunt the field edges untill about noon, then "regroup"... None of us saw deer that morning, but it was a wonderful morning anyway. Tyler and I met Manny and Charlie back at the truck around 11:30, while Nathan and Drew were still hunting... (napping?) A "Squirrel Stalk" for Tyler, turned into a stump shoot!!! LMAO (isn't that always the way? us traditional bowhunters, just HAVE to shoot at something!) When Nathan and Drew met us back at the truck, plans were made to get lunch and head for another piece of property that Nathan said was "crawling with deer"!!! Well, he wasn't kidding!!!!! We parked the trucks and split up. Tyler and I headed up the mountain. By the time we got 1/2 way up, Tyler was getting one of his Migraine headaches. I set him at the base of a tree, with instructions to just close his eyes and try to relax. I headed over to a fallen White Oak that made an almost perfect ground blind, on the edge of a bench. Tyler was soon sleeping, and the squirrels were apparently concerned that he was no longer a threat... He even had 1 climbing onto and over his legs!!! LOL About 5:30 I caught movement... 2 big does,and 3 little ones, came up the mountain and onto the bench. I could not get a clear shot, so after they moved on up the mountain, I quietly hustled over to get Tyler. "Wake up Buddy, The deer are on the move!" Tyler woke up and his headache was RAGING!!! Still, he quietly hustled over to the deadfall blind and never complained!!!!! Unfortunatly, we did not see anymore deer... About 6pm, we headed down the mountain to the truck.

Drew came back with Nathan, and they had both seen deer. Nathan asked if we had seen anything, and I told him about the does and fawns. The only thing he really cared was "did Tyler get to see them?" When I told him that Tyler had a headache and was sleeping, they were genuinely dissapointed!!!!! When I told them about the squirrels, they couldn't have laughed harder!!!

Charlie and Manny got back shortly after... Charlie had seen a bear!!! It came to about 15 yards, then put his front paws up on a stump, and tried to wind him. He didn't "spook" but knew something wasn't "right" and he moved off. Manny, got to whatch the whole thing unfold, from up the mountainside!!!!!

It was a Good Day!!! Before getting in the truck, I looked to the sky and thanked the Great One, for blessing me with such fortune!!!!!

When we got home,it was time for "food & drink"!!!!! Nathan Started cooking, and Drew took charge of the grill. Venison backstraps, (of which Tyler ate probly half) and Buffalo chicken quaisadias, (sorry Nathan, I can't make them and I sure as hell can't spell them!!!) Plus, of course... More beer!!! It had been a LONG DAY, and it was an early night. The next day promised rain, so the probible outcome was to check the weather, then probly load up on a delicious breakfast, then see if the weather would be cooperative...

This morning was cloudy and warm, and the weather map showed Ulster County practicaly covered with rain. No, problem!!! Nathan worked his magic, and we had a HUGE delicious breakfast of Blueberry pancakes, Bacon, and Coffee!!!! By the time we were done eating, it was raining here in Poughkeepsie... So, we just made another pot of coffee, caught up on old times, and made future plans for new ones!

The rain let up for us to take a few pictures before they left. Tyler and I said our goodbyes, and I truely believe that you guys made a lasting impression on my Son! I will forever be greatful for this time together!!!!!

Thanks Again, my Brothers... For a WONDERFUL time!!!!!

My door is always open for you, Thanks Again!!!!!   :notworthy:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
wish i could have made it sounds like you guys had a time of it!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Congrats on a great time together!  And Nate's cooking to top it all off!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Hi guys its tyler i just wanted to say thankyou for all the nice things you guys did for me  especially nathan for the awesome cooking, charlie for being an excellent freind and listener,and manny for the knife and awsome times togeather. all of you are great people,and your great freinds to dad and me   :smileystooges:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Not much to add to chucks recap. I am honored to call these guys friends.

I needed the bear to take a couple steps to clear a small bush. It was very still and I think he may have caught a thermal.  IT was a nice beautiful bear, and a great experience for sure. But this is a deer hunting thread    ;)      :p      :smileystooges:      :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Thanks again for having us Chuck, I was honored to be part of such a great group. It was a pleasure meeting you Tyler. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing what's going on in your neck of the woods guys. I enjoy reading it very much.

Just back from the mountains myself and here's what my few days was like.

Good news so far:
Plenty of deer (small bucks so far)and bear by me in Monticello area.

Bad news:
I shot clean under a fat doe at 20 yards!!!!
No excuses. I blew the shot!

And a nightly visitor into our apple trees......

.........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: October 14, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
What can I say on top of Chucks and Charlie's posts    :)  
Great time was had, meeting a new hunter (Tyler) and hunting with brothers!

:wavey:        :archer:      

Until next time, thank you my brothers

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
Truly blessed to call you all brothers!! I'll post a few pics tomorrow.  

Thanks again!!
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: October 15, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Man, I got rained out 2 days in a row.....Out early tomorrow.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: October 15, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Phillip, That looks like a nice Bear.  Better luck next time!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
And now for todays Adventure...LOL! After the encounter with the does last week, I regrouped and went after them today. When I left last time I put a spot across the spot I was in in case the wind was not good. Got there this AM and wind was bad so I went across to the other spot. Good wind so I set up. Should be better because I can see the deer coming sooner and won't get surprised......."WRONG"!! At 8:20 the wind and driving drizzle stopped and I caught movement, but wait, it's coming from the wrong way. I get the bow up and some tension on the string. To late, the Spike horn is my shooting lane and locked on me.........AT 8 YARDS!! Can't move, the stare down begins. He finally gives in and bales out. I'm getting close..........   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Keep after them Ron!!!!! Just a matter of time...

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: October 16, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
That's My Life Story Ron! Then, "close" only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades...   :D   ...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Just got permission from "the boss" to do a long weekend to Western NY in early November.
My buddy has been seeing a lot of deer on his farm
near Arcade.

I can't wait to get up there, thought I might have to miss it this year.
Good luck everybody. It's going to be good getting back to God's country!

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Things have been real slow here in Putnam County on the place I hunt. I just hung a stand today on a new piece of property in Westchester County. While there I saw 2 doe and about 8 turkey. Things are looking up!!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©