3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9070 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #400 on: October 26, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Bow only zone in the AM.....Haven't seen a deer there yet but tomorrow maybe the day......I keep my fingers crossed!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: October 27, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
The saga continues in the bow only zone of Albany Co. Not a deer to be seen yet. Shared my area this AM with a Hawk who was giving the squirrels fits....pretty funny to watch the whole show! Looks like the weather will be bad for a few days with this hurricane Sandy deal, hope everyone stays safe and dry!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: October 27, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Glenbo...whereabouts in Sterling?...I hunt there all the time...if I ever run into you it would be the first trad bow I;ve ever seen there except for my brother's and my own..lol

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: October 27, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Went bow hunting after work Thursday with my 21st street longbow and woodies. Found were a young buck had made a string of scraps down an old roadway across the road from my house ( one always does! }So I decided it might be a good opportunity to see if I could bag him from the ground, just me and my bow, no blind natural or other wise. So anyway, I walked down that old roadway to a spot were the road edge banks down steeper towards the creek. I chose a tree large enough to hide my torso when I stood in front of it, and decided to just stand there and see what would happen. As I walked to the tree, Two doe started running toward the south pretty much straight across from were I would be standing. Well I got to the tree, which was only about five feet from the old roadway and stood there watching without moving my head. Sure enough after about a half an hour here comes that young buck. He was walking on the same side of that old roadbed that I was standing on, and right down from the exact direction I had walked from. He gets about ten feet from me and stops, looks a round a bit and then looks right at me. I thought for sure he would make me out,and that would be that. Instead he started gaiting again right toward me and right past me at six feet away. I thought," how awesome is this" so he gets past me and goes about another ten yard occasionally dropping his head to smell the ground. Suddenly he stops, smells the ground and picks up the smell of his lady friends. Turning south with his nose to the ground, he jogs over to the other side of the roadway, giving me a perfect, slightly quartering away broadside shot. Well the rest is history because I sent a 160 grn. ace right threw both side of that deer at seven yds. He only went twenty yds. before laying down, and I waited a half hour before backing out for a return recovery. Wow, what an awesome hunt. My plan this year was to get another buck from the ground, but I thought I would be using more cover than just a tree trunk. The buck is just a year and a half old seven point, but he's a trophy to me. I was hoping for a larger buck, but the size of the hunt outweighs the size of the rack in my view. Anyway, I thought it was a good hunt to share with everyone. Enjoy your season and best of luck.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: October 27, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
David, that is AWESOME man!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: October 27, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Pretty cool!   :thumbsup:

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: October 27, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
me and Manny sat for 8 hours and did not see a deer. he did see turkeys but no shot. i am hunting harder this year then i have in a long while and have only saw 3 does running across a field. still LOVE to be out there with longbow in hand playing the game!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: October 27, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Congrats David.  Thanks for sharing your hunt!  Keep at it Ken.  It'll pay off eventually.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: October 27, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Way to go David   :thumbsup:   I went out around 2:30pm this afternoon and deer were already up and moving. Jumped 4 on the way into the stand. Did see one small doe about 40 yards away and had a hawk land in the tree in front of me. That was cool to say the least!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: October 27, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Pointer,I usually head over 17A towards Greenwood Lake.I m hoping to check out some of the archery only areas come gun season.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: October 28, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Very well put Dave " The size of the hunt outweighs the size of the rack". Contests on the harvest.

Down in Westchester it has been very slow. I've seen a could deer while on post. Got one shot. Clean miss. One of my buddies saw a nice buck in the area. No a rub to be had. Weather has been way to warm for me. I hunted yesterday from 6:00-12:30. Took a high point in the rocks about 15feet above the ground. Had over a 250 yard view of my entire area. Not an animal. I started pooping and snooping at about 10:00 and nada.

Silver lining of the coming storm, all leave will be down, giving better visibility
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: October 28, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
David - that was congratulations on your harvest! Darn auto correct!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: October 28, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Very well put Dave " The size of the hunt outweighs the size of the rack". Contests on the harvest.

Down in Westchester it has been very slow. I've seen a could deer while on post. Got one shot. Clean miss. One of my buddies saw a nice buck in the area. No a rub to be had. Weather has been way to warm for me. I hunted yesterday from 6:00-12:30. Took a high point in the rocks about 15feet above the ground. Had over a 250 yard view of my entire area. Not an animal. I started pooping and snooping at about 10:00 and nada.

Silver lining of the coming storm, all leave will be down, giving better visibility
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
David, fine job.  Good for you!!
I usually make it up in your area around Veterans Day.  With the impending storm, I'm looking forward to it.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: October 28, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: October 28, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words, Like all my fellow trad hunters, I enjoy being in God's great nature and hunting with my traditional equipment. A harvest is just icing on the cake. Hunting Deer is a great love of mine and helps me keep my perspective on life. I truly wish you all a fantastic season.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: October 28, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Anybody see any chasing yet??Went out this morning late jumped one going in .Nothing the rest of the day.Found some great sign on acouple ridges.Lots of scrapes.I bet as soon as this bad weather passes things should start to happen.Its been to darn warm.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #417 on: October 28, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
I have seen one scrape, it was not fresh!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: October 28, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by 3Feathers:
Anybody see any chasing yet??Went out this morning late jumped one going in .Nothing the rest of the day.Found some great sign on acouple ridges.Lots of scrapes.I bet as soon as this bad weather passes things should start to happen.Its been to darn warm.
Young bucks been chasing, seen lots of scrapes not so many rubs
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: October 28, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
congrats David   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©