3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9061 times)

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #440 on: November 01, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Good luck Ron.  I won't be out until Sunday morning due to work and family obligations.  But I just found out I have Monday off, so that will work!  I just have to find the does.  Good luck everyone!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #441 on: November 01, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
hey guys...I've been away from the board for a while...

Earlier this year I started researching finding land to lease in NYS but could never get any of my fellow Mass hunters to bite on joining in....and 1) I hate hunting alone and 2) not made of money so looking to share costs and such...

does anyone need a partner on a lease in eastern NY for the 2013 season?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #442 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
there is a LOAD of public land that i hunt, you are welcome to hunt with me or learn the land for yourself. the Northern zone is hard hunting and few deer. the Southern zone in places has a good population.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #443 on: November 01, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Ya, a lease would be nice but Ken is right, there is a ton of state land available.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #444 on: November 01, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Hey Ken where are those places with a good population?????????
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #445 on: November 01, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
i had between 50-100 turkeys by me but not close enough for  a shot.  On the way out I put the stalk on a nice mid size buck.  when I ran out of cover I tried to call him in but he didnt want anything to do with me.  after I wheezed at him, he turned and walked the other way quickly.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #446 on: November 01, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by 3Feathers:
Hey Ken where are those places with a good population?????????
:saywhat:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #447 on: November 01, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Seen 4 does this morning and the biggest spike I ever saw. He's not a young deer either and those spikes have to be 16" straight up...

Hit the woods around 4 tonight. Eased into my "fence corner" ambush spot. "Sandy" took down some large trees and I was interested to see if the deer pattern would change. Had 9 Turkeys ease by in the rain, a tad too far out and too many eyes.

5:20 a doe and yearling come bounding by to my right...no more than 10 yds. Stop, then trot right behind me. Wind was perfect so I sat tight. Sure enough...here comes another set of legs...a small 4 pt chasing them. This guy decides to "cut them off" and bounds by me no more than 5 yds.

He never saw me as I had to laugh...just before dark, here they come again. All three passed in front of my spot, no more than 10 yds. I waited 15 minutes, then eased out. Luckily the rain made the  woods a nice quiet carpet.

Heading out in the morning, then going to Jersey to bowhunt with Bamboo and Southpawshooter Sat. The Tri-State Terrors looking to put some added venison in the freezer....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #448 on: November 02, 2012, 06:01:00 AM »
Good luck Skipper, you'll need it with that crew   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #449 on: November 02, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
3 hour sit this AM......SLOOOOOW, not a thing was seen. Same spot where I have been seeing a few deer, wind was good.......just nobody home!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #450 on: November 03, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
SOOOOOOO Close.......Went to the Bow only Zone again this mourning, had been using a ground blind but decided to free style it today. Got in before daylight and set up on a high point over looking a gull and woods road and to my right a hard wood flat. Wind was good and I settled in....it was chilly. At 7:30 I pick up some movement and I see an era flick....deer! The doe fed towards me and I thought she would catch my wind at any second. She turned and dropped on to the woods road a started down.......can this be happening!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #451 on: November 03, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
So as the doe walks down the woods road I slowly move into a position where I can draw and shoot. She goes behind 3 big Hemlocks that are close together........I think to myself, 3 steps and she'll be in the shooting lane, I come to full draw and can feel my anchor lock in! One step, two steps, one more and it will be a green light....She bolts!!!   :scared:    :scared:   I have no idea why she bolted, she took two jumps and went back to casual pace and started browsing again.   :dunno:    :dunno:    I sat there and tried to think what could have made her do that.....have no idea. At 8:30 I looked to my left down in the gully and there is a deer feeding, up goes the head....it's a buck!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #452 on: November 03, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
He's feeding along ,I'm watching my wind indicator and him and all is good. He starts up the bank and it looks like I'll have a 20 yard shot, maybe a bit more. He goes behind a clump of trees and I get ready.......he never comes out....LOL!! He must have walked straight away from me and I never saw him again! I think he was a 4 pt. or a real small 6. One hour later 9:30 ...............I see a UWD  [ unidentified walking deer ], it was so far away I don't even know how I saw it. Even with the binos I could just pick up a leg ,an ear or a flick of it's tail. BUT......not a bad mourning hunt!   :thumbsup:    :coffee:

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #453 on: November 03, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Happy for ya Ron! That kind of action would make my day too! Gonna miss another weekend in the woods due to Sandy... The job is holding me close... Darn Hurricane!   :p  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #454 on: November 03, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Great Morning Ron   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

keep cracking, It will happen!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #455 on: November 03, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
I didnt see anything.  I sat in an observation blind and watched. Think I scared one on the way in but it was windy. I did notice a bunch of new scrapes. I am having a hard time figuring these deer out.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #456 on: November 03, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Sounds like you have seen more deer already this year than most years. Keep at em. It has to be a matter of time.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #457 on: November 03, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Sounds like a close one Ron, I'm heading out with Joe shortly.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #458 on: November 03, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
saw a doe flying by at 20 yards just as you could start to see, don't know if she winded me or a buck was pushing her.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #459 on: November 03, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
I missed four days of work due to the storm,so after cleaning up the yard I did get out for three sits. Wednesday morning I had a large bodied deer cross 35 yds or so before light.I could make out headgear but really too dark to study horn. The rest of the morning all I saw was a hen at fifty yards.Went to a different stand Wednesday afternoon and saw nothing. I did hear another hunter rattling every 15 minutes exactly till dark. Thursday afternoon I took my climber to a hardwood ridge close to the Thruway.I was set up at three and at 5:30 I looked to my left and had a decent 9 pt come in to 20 to25 yds. He went behind me and just cruised away. No shot opportunity but nice to see deer. This morning I got set up in the same tree at 5:45 and watched a truck on the power lines spotlighting. I was glad when they left. Had a small buck pass at seventy yards or so,and that was the morning. Heading down to Sterling Forest in the morning. Good luck brothers and be safe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©