3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9053 times)

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #500 on: November 05, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Great job guys!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
I had to pass a nice eight point at ten yds  sunday morning , looking for a doe now .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #502 on: November 06, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
This is why bowhunting is so great...and frustrating. Strong north wind, dry leaves, a few new scrapes and I settled in my ambush location at 2pm. Haven't hunted this spot since the Hurricane.

Large trees had fallen courtesy of Hurricane Sandy and the only spot I couldn't shoot was to my right. A small knob that deer travel, maybe 15 yds from my spot. I catch movement in a small field 60 yds out. No mistaking that super white muzzle...I glassed the deer and he was a nice 6pt.

He stops, staring in my direction he starts to trot my way. Bow ready, eyes focused...then...maybe 40 yds in front of me, a large doe comes bounding..straight at me. She hangs a left (5 yds away), tops the knob and is standing behind this massive blowdown no more than 8 yds to my right.

Praying the 6pt would follow, I concentrated where she just came from. Not to be...he decided to "cut her off" and comes trotting in at an angle to my right, spooking her off and HE decides to stop...exactly where she did.    :scared:

Here's this deer, eight yards away, eyeballing the doe and I'm kneeling there eyeballing him. Maybe a  minute or two passed when he turned left and continued after the doe, offering no shot.    :mad:

Darkness came and I eased over the stonewall fence and cut away a bunch of limbs. Now I have a clear 15 yd shot to my right. If I hunted this spot a few days ago, I would have seen the mess and cleared out a shooting lane. We'll see what happens the rest of the week...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Good Luck Joe.  Must have been neat to witness!  I think tomorrow will be a good day in the woods!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #504 on: November 07, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
It's only getting better..The more time you spend out there the better your chance will be...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #505 on: November 07, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Had a fantastic mourning......saw 8 deer, 2 real nice bucks, a nice 8 pt. His rack is either goofy on the right side or it's broke up. Then at 9 AM I saw a slammer    :eek:      :eek:     ......20"+ wide G-2 and G-3's are 8-9 inches with excellent mass all along the main beam. No shots were available but what a way to start the day. That big one is 130+ class and a heavy weight!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #506 on: November 07, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
You  better be careful, Ron. Wouldn't want you to  break your streak of  not killing a deer in how many years? Actually I am looking forward to seeing you with some horns in your hands and a smile on your face.     :pray:
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #507 on: November 07, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Ron, you sure you aren't just describing the picture of the deer I showed you on my phone last night?  :biglaugh:  Sounds like a great morning! Thanks again for the limbs and the good chat, to bad it was getting late, would have liked to talk longer.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #508 on: November 07, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
It was a great morning...wish i could have stayed till dark but other commitments and rapidly deteriorating weather compelled me to leave around noon...still saw a couple of deer that passed behind my blind...no shot opportunity but always great to see deer when i hunt...tells me I'm doing something right..lol

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #509 on: November 07, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Jason.......nice deer you showed me on your phone last night....but he is a pup compared to what I saw this mourning.....Mr. Carlsen......how you doing, just so you know....I don't need horns....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Hey Ron - you start baiting this year or something? Lot of deer being seen....    :)
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #511 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
You are getting real close Ron!  I hope you close the deal soon, my friend.  I had a real good day at work.....uhhh, actually it sucked!  I'd rather be in the woods   :biglaugh:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #512 on: November 07, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm sorry ronp, Maybe your day at work will better tomorrow.......   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #513 on: November 07, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
had two little ones around my stand for about 15 minutes, a button buck and a fawn, my mouth was watering thinking about those tender backstraps, but I just couldn't pull the string back, must be getting soft  "[dntthnk]"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #514 on: November 07, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Larry: I always question myself when I shoot a young one. That is until I sit down at the dinner table.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #515 on: November 07, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Have the next five days to hopfully get the deal done.  I am heading out early in the morning and ready to rock and roll good luck everybody.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #516 on: November 07, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Rut is pretty good down my way. Went to a good rut spot in a swamp that boarders State Land. I immdiatly realized there was no scrapes or rubs which is odd the place is usually torn to pieces. I found out why after sitting for about 35mins I hear an audible bleat call. Its someone on a Can Call not 65yds away! Wind was good for me but where he was sitting it was blowing right into the bedding area! I snuck out went home and had a beer. I cant believe the bad luck im having!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline YankeeRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #517 on: November 08, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
Great job there Gerald!!!
I see alot of steaks and roasts on that buck.
You Da man   :notworthy:
I love New York I really do !!!!!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #518 on: November 08, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
Larry: I always question myself when I shoot a young one. That is until I sit down at the dinner table.
Exactly    :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #519 on: November 08, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Those young ones aren't only tender and tasty, they're easier to drag out of the forest!!!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©