3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9030 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #580 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Well my season is pretty much over.
I may try another day or two but unlikely.

Had a great time this year but no venison.
I missed a fat doe, had a staring contest with another fat doe at 12 yards and yesterday another contest with a fork horn buck at 20 yards.

Lots of bucks in my area since the 3 point rule which I love. Got 5 different rack bucks on trail camera and this is the biggest pictured so far. 50 yards behind my house. Never seen him before! He's got some age and the belly to prove it.

"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #581 on: November 14, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
My season pretty well ended today also Phil..I never dropped the string and its entirely my fault....
This morning a nice 6 point is coming down the trail, headed right towards the mock scrape and scent wick I placed about 18yards from my blind. I can see him approaching from a good 75-80 yards so I had plenty of time to plan for a shot. ..I stand when his head is obscured by a small group of trees and get into position...Based on the wind direction and his travel route I can see he's not going to reach my mock scrape or scent wicks so I have nothing to stop him and I don't like moving targets if I can avoid them.

Anyway, he passes into the opening and I grunt to stop him....three times!...and he never broke stride!!It's like he was deaf or something

By the third attempt to stop him he's starting to get beyond my range so I decide I'm going to make a try for him becaue I've been shooting the bow really well this year....I can't believe he busted me but I barely made it to half draw and his head whipped around and I had to freeze...

We played that game for a few minutes with him constantly picking his head up to catch me moving but I wouldn't shoot at an alert deer...its just asking for trouble..

Hopefully I make it out for the late season but I never know for sure if that's gonna work.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #582 on: November 14, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Let 4 does feed by tonight around 4:30, then a small 6pt came ambling by just at dark. let him walk too. Tomorrow is another day.....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #583 on: November 14, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Good for you Charlie!Happy for you bud.I'm diggin' the hat too.  :thumbsup:
I've had some close encounters with some decent bucks but no dice.Today I watched the biggest buck I've seen all season pass on the bench ridge below me.When I climbed down I did some scouting down there and found 2 fresh scrapes where he came through.Gonna try and set up on it tomorrow if the wind is right.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #584 on: November 14, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Good Luck Jeff!  I bought it at Denton Hill!

I hope you get another look at that buck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #585 on: November 15, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
I put some time up at Sugar Hill yesterday afternoon and this morning.  Weather was good, plenty of fresh sign, only the sign makers were missing.  Watched a big bodied 8 pointer this morning feeding his way across an open field.  I couldn't reach him with the grunt call.  Thought he would come into me, but he decided he was safer walking the field than coming in where they normally do.  
All in all, a good NY trip.  Will do it again next year.
Shick in Pa.
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #586 on: November 15, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
What "bow" should I use Saturday morning? My Winchester or Kanati?  :dunno:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #587 on: November 15, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
That last day of regular archery can be a good one, Good luck to all my fellow NY Trads who haven't scored yet.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #588 on: November 15, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
What "bow" should I use Saturday morning? My Winchester or Kanati?   :dunno:  

... mike ...
Winchester makes a bow?!?  ;)

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #589 on: November 15, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
The clock is winding down on another early N.Y.archery season.I hunted all day today,saw3 different bucks and heard another grunting but,couldn't see him. Saw 7 does, and heard my first chase of the year going on down the hill from me,lots of crashing,but never saw the deer. I will go tomorrow evening just to end it properly. Then it's time for the T/C pro-hunter .45 cal. muzzleloader. It's not over til it's over.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #590 on: November 15, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I finnaly got my first trad buck!! Crazy story I made the shot on Halloween night just a hair back but looked pretty good. I backed out which turned out to be bad because it rained and I lost all blood. I looked for the deer for hours with no luck I was pretty dumbfounded. Yesterday my Uncle goes hunting on neighboring property and runs into one of the hunters that have permission.

He said he seen a 4pt come screaming by his stand with a pack of kiyotes right on him. They killed the deer in front of him and it turned out to be mine! Explains why he didnt lay down the coyotes are getting worse. They ate my whole deer but I was lucky enough to salvage the rack.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #591 on: November 16, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Nick thats wild man. Better start shooting/trapping those coyotes. Imagine that, seeing a pack of coyotes kill a buck right in front of you. I'd be having deer and dog stew.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #592 on: November 16, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Don't discount the gun season, even opening day for bow/trad hunting. Alot of guys out on opening day are the one day a year guys. They won't be doing much but pushing deer around. They'll go in for lunch and half wont hunt sunday.

Stick with it (no pun intended) and theres plenty of opportunity in gun season, remember 90% of the hunting pressure will be down after opening day. Personally I'll try and set up in tight cover where I know the deer feel concealed, you know those tight deer runs through the thickets. Get in a stand or a blind overlooking a fun runs like that and let the city dwellers drive the deer to you.

Last year my hunting buddies convinced me to take a gun out for opening day (never killed a deer with a gun, I always take my bow) as luck would have it I forgot how to gun hunt and always end up setting up for bow hunting, ended up with a button buck at like 7 yards. For those of you who do as little gun hunting as I do; apparently 7yards is well within the effective range of a 30-30 winchester.

Anyway, good luck to all. I know I'll be in NY for opening day -  thanksgiving and I'll be out with a hickory selfbow.

Cheers

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #593 on: November 16, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Ive only seen it in videos I found it hard to believe at first. Weve killed a few durning deer season but now that shotgun is opening tomorrow I have a hunch a few more dogs will bite the dust before season is over  :)
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #594 on: November 16, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Well it's over people,had a wonderful season, saw alot of deer this year,had many close encounters, and had a ball hunting on the ground.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #595 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Not over yet.......Bow only zone and the late season. Still some time before we have to get ready for next year.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #596 on: November 17, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Unproductive sit this morning in my red plaid camo.
Nothing moved in my direction and I only heard about 6 shots....from 6:45 to 8am. Working this weekend so I won't get out again until Wed afternoon.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

« Reply #597 on: November 17, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Sat dawn to dark yesterday with nary a sighting. Took an average doe this AM w/ my muzzleloader. Now I can get back to bowhunting!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #598 on: November 18, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Down here the movement has slowed down a bit. All the bigger bucks are locked down with does and the rest of the does are hiding. Now's the time to sneak into a secluded thicket adjacent to doe bedding areas and travel routes. I've killed quite a few bucks over the years as they were with the doe they were breeding. I took a great buck this way on Friday morning after spending 35 hours after him this week. I used the training wheels though.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #599 on: November 18, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Greg,my son showed me a pic. of the buck you just got.WOW!Good for you...again!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©