3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9029 times)

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #600 on: November 18, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Great morning with a bit more activity for a change.  Had a small basket 6 move past the stand at about 30 yards early in the morning.  The rest of the morning was quiet until about 11:00.  A doe came out of a nearby field and trotted past my stand at about 20 yards, but was moving just a bit too quick to chance a shot.  10 minutes later, one of the larger bucks I've been seeing on this property, a 130-135 class 8 point, appeared in the field and entered the woods at the same point as the doe.  I could tell he was on her trail and got ready.  As he took the same path as the doe, I could tell something looked a bit strange.  He's now HALF of a 130-135" buck!  He broke off the right side just below where the brow tine juts out.  Anyhow, he comes in right to my tree at about 14 yards and stops.....hard quartering toward me.  I had tension on the string, but a quick turn and he was behind a tree in front of me and was back on the path of the doe.  It stayed quiet for the next half hour, so I got down.  Had to get back to the house and let the dog out!!

I've been seeing more movement lately around mid-day and I'm guessing the less mature bucks are trying to get in on some action!

Good luck everyone.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #601 on: November 18, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Tony, Sounds like a good morning.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #602 on: November 18, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Good Stuff!  Tony, you have put your time in, it will happen soon!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #603 on: November 18, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by J.Williams:
Greg,my son showed me a pic. of the buck you just got.WOW!Good for you...again!
Thanks Jeff.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #604 on: November 19, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Congrats Greg.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #605 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Back from Georgia ,now I can get back at it.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #606 on: November 21, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
Let's finish up strong boys! Good luck to all. A little over a month left here in Westchester.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #607 on: November 22, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Happy turkey day all, killed 2 with my  .45 cal T/C pro hunter this morning. A 4 pt. and a doe, I will be going to Letchworth Park tommorow with my bow, can only shoot does there.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline YankeeRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #608 on: November 23, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
SWEET longrifle filling the freezer for the fam.  :thumbsup:
I love New York I really do !!!!!!

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #609 on: November 23, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
I had decided that today would be my last day trying to kill a deer with my recurve amongst the pumpkin clan. Then I wake up to see that my wife is heading out "Black Friday" shopping and leaving me with the kids all day.     :banghead:   Oh well,  I guess yesterday was my last day trying to get it done the hard way.  Monday I'll me out there trying to poke holes in the lungs of a big fat buck with my Black Hawk.
   Congrats to everyone who has taken deer this year with trad equipment. And thank you Izzy for starting this thread.  I read it every morning with my coffee.  There's some great guys at this "cyber camp"    :campfire:   God Bless.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #610 on: November 23, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Bear with me...Worked Thurs night, got home 3am. A few hours sleep and I had some errands to run. See,
my mom's 60 yr old furnace died. Won't get the new one until Tuesday. So, had to make sure space heaters were keeping her bedroom was warm.

11:00am..just leave the bank to head home, my truck won't start. Dead...just won't turn over. Call my AAA and get some women from Latin America who I can't understand and she can't understand me. After yelling some choice words in the phone, I hang up and call my buddy....owns a tow service.

He brings me and truck to my Mechanic..."Could be the starter but I won't get to it until Monday morning."...He takes me home and to relax, start shooting the bow outside. My mind really wasn't on bowhunting but I figured what the heck...what else could go wrong....   :rolleyes:

So, I head behind my mom's house to hunt her 5 acres of over grown orchards. This is right across the street from my home....I nestle in at 2:30 and sit there until 4:30 with no action. couldn't entice anything in with my doe bleats and grunts.

I pack up everything in the Catquiver, grab the bow and stand up. Bingo...taking his time and walking by at 40 yds was a decent 8pt. Maybe 16" wide, small tines but large body. You could read his mind...I'm leaving here and heading over there, get outta my way.

Now..over there means across mom's small field, across the road, across my front lawn then into the field behind my home which is 300 acres of overgrown orchards and hardwoods. After letting him pass and outta sight, I hurried to the back of mom's lawn and watch the deer walk around my home, take a few minutes to rub a sapling, then head off.

The only thing left to do was head home, shoot a few arrows in the shop, take a hot shower and pour a large Sangria. Tomorrow morning is another day...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #611 on: November 23, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Go get him Joe!!!!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #612 on: November 24, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
I spent the last two mornings hunting an archery only area across the river.It is about an hours hike up from the truck so I usually start out in a tee shirt and long johns and finish dressing as I cool down. Thanksgiving morning  I was set up in a rocky cliff overlooking a hardwood ridge. Had a doe and a decent buck by my low standards come in but never got closer than 40 yds. Walking out I had a staring contest with three does at 30 yds until they had enough of me. They must have known they were off limits.
Yesterday I headed up again. About 300yds up the trail I realized my bow was on the roof of my truck...back down I go. Sat till 10:30 and only saw one doe. Two beautiful mornings weather wise but no venison yet. Hopefully I will be back Sunday morning. Still time left. Trying to stay positive.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #613 on: November 24, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
the orange army killed a 160 class buck right out my back door, yes it was the one i had been bow hunting..... saw the deer and it is 160 green scored....
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #614 on: November 24, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Can't seem to catch a break, can you, Ken?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #615 on: November 24, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Bummer Ken!  Think positive 'cause there's another one up there with your name on it!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #616 on: November 24, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Ken, that sucks.  I hope you get his brother, or father!  Hopefully he bred plenty of does this fall and spread those good genes.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #617 on: November 24, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Ken, that super sucks!  :(

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #618 on: November 24, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
You had to know Ken that it was going to happen, just from the track record of the locals......   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #619 on: November 24, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Bummer.  I have a neighbor with a permanent disability who finds time in his schedule to hunt seven days a week through bow, gun and muzzleloading season and scout for months prior and usually ends up with the local bruiser every year.  Sometimes the top two.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©