3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9022 times)

Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #620 on: November 25, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Out with the bow yesterday PM, howling wind and the start if a snowstorm @ 29 degrees. Sat for 2 hours-- saw a decent 4-pointer but he wouldn't be tempted to come any closer than about 60 yards. Keep at it, I guess......snow camo today!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #621 on: November 25, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
I was planning on bowhunting this weekend but am sick.

Good luck guys, the Orange pumpkins didn't kill everything.

Ken, keep at it, with people in the woods and the rut being on, these big bucks could travel 10 miles a day and then hole up tight.

The farmer on our property in WI was bailing corn stubble, said he saw a huge buck, it was so tight that it wouldn't move from the field until he bumped it with the tractor tire.  the orangies are all hunting the woods and here this bruiser is in the "open". When I say bruiser, this deer was BIG.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #622 on: November 25, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Been a tough season for me this year, mostly because of time.  I used 2weeks for bears this year, so I'm not really complaining.  I passed on a large bodied spike about two weeks ago.  I had a real nice buck come in just before legal shooting light.  He was right under me.  I didn't have a shot as it got lighter.  My time should be freeing up a little, so Ill give it he!! The next few weeks.  Good luck everyone!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #623 on: November 26, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Keep at it Sean, they will come in wanting to look at your new bow   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #624 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
A neighbor two miles down the road just sent me a picture of his 11 point gun deer.  Hokey Smokes!  I hope he put down some genes before he expired.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #625 on: November 28, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Well, last night I did a coin flip, take the gun and try to fill a DMU permit or grab the bow and go to the bow only zone.........the bow won. Beautiful mourning, 28 degrees very little wind so I set up my pac-seat where I have been seeing some activity and at 7:30 I see movement! Grab the field glasses and pick apart the woods. And there it is.....a nose, then an ear, I keep looking and behold it's a buck. He's not moving but I can see he has Looooong Spikes with tiny forks on top. He's at 60 yards and not coming any closer, as he walks away I can now see 2 brow times so he's a 6 point. Stayed till 9:30 and no more action. That's the 6th buck I have seen this year and total of 19 deer, with 3 close encounters. My best year in a long ,long time!   :wavey:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #626 on: November 28, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Ron wish you all the luck go get em.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #627 on: November 28, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Taking my wife in the a.m. with a gun,trying to help her get her first deer, then it's off to the park for a doe only bowhunt in the evening.Let's keep at it guys, i want sooooo bad for someone to get one during the gun season.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #628 on: December 01, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Back to the bow only zone in the AM.....taking my lone wolf climber this time and maybe ,just maybe I'll get lucky. The River Runner is ready to go, so it's off to bed and up early to try to get it done. This will be my 22nd hunt of the year......can't say I ain't trying!    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #629 on: December 01, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
good luck Ron, at least your on them! i have saw 3 deer this year, 3 does running at around 150 yards....
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #630 on: December 02, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Well ,I think everything slept in this mourning except me......lol! Never saw a living thing, went to bed it was 32 and it was 37 degrees at 5:15, 40 by 8:30. Crazy weather.......Maybe it just wasn't meant to be........

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #631 on: December 02, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Same thing here ronw.A heavy fog rolled in after 1st light,lasted maybe an hour,and I sat out 'til 11 and saw nothing but a couple treerats and tweety birds.Scrapes have just been hit,fresh scat and tracks but nothing.Just getting over a full moon,maybe mid-day would be better.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #632 on: December 02, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
While driving yesterday the deer were definitely out mid day every where I went.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #633 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Iv' seen them out mid day yesterday also, but not any Bucks, just Does. Dannnnn-it
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #634 on: December 03, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Hunted most of the day today. Saw two Deer, actually one, the other one I heard when it heard me. Both Deer were near or at recent blowdowns from the sally storm. I knew it wouldn't be long after the onslought of gun hunters, that the deer would move in on those tender morsels. Maybe now I can harvest another Deer.I find most Guys say they don;t target wild Deer foods as a place to hunt.Keeps working for me    :thumbsup:   Hope everyone is having a fun season.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #635 on: December 12, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Been awfful quiet, guys.  

I haven't seen anything but antlerless at a distance.  Starting up Southern Zone late season now.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #636 on: December 12, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
Will be hunting this afternoon, Thurs and Friday. Long night here at work. I'm hoping my "Freak" buck made it through gun season but I won't get too picky this late in the season.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #637 on: December 12, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
I think I'm throwing in the towel...... I may get out one more time but it's not looking good. Had a better than average season seeing 19 deer, 6 of them bucks and one of those was a conservative 130+.I think I'll go for snowshoe bunnies on Saturday.....just for something different! My Northern Mist needs to meet the Adirondacks....LOL!

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #638 on: December 12, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
I'm hoping for some good luck this weekend. Last Saturday the wind was perfect for a stand in a woodlot where a nice big 8 point is bedding. I got busted by him in early november and then last Saturday evening i thought i was going to get my chance. He came out following a spike at 4:30pm and they sparred for fun for a little bit and then the spike started to head south to my stand. he chose a closer trail in the open woods and picked me up in the bare tree about 15 yards away, did the head bob and then contiued on. Now comes the big 8 point and he picks me up also, did the head bob thing then turned quickly and headed to the right, i ws hoping he would turn left on the farther trail which would have given me a perfect 20 yard broadhead shot. But of course he heads down to this fence line by the houses 60 yards away and feeds for 15 minutes and then turns left and heads south. If I had been in my other stand location which is 15 yards in front of this stand and if the buck did the smae thing i would have had a 15 yard shot if he came behing me. Unfortunately this stand is real close to the main trail i thought he would be using.
Come Saturday I'll be hunting this stand hoping he comes from the south to go to his bed. If not I'll be hunting Sunday evening in a stand where i saw him come out of the thick stuff. The problem is there are no large trees in the area with any cover.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #639 on: December 12, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
I'm going to give it one more shot up in the Bath area.  Will head up tomorrow before noon.  More than likely stay until Sunday morning(unless I'm lucky).  This will be the first time I'm hunting this later season.  Good luck to all.
Shick in Pa.
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©