3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.  (Read 9024 times)

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 New York Deer hunting thread.
« Reply #640 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Went this a.m. to Letchworth state park with my bow,only saw one lone yearling,too far for a shot,deer have been tough to see lately,I am still taking my T/C cal. muzzloader most of the time,I would like one more deer for the freezer.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #641 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Good Luck guys.

Yesterday while driving back from Buffalo, I saw a decent buck feeding with a group of 3 does.  There were in a small wood lot between the Thruway.

I will be headed to the Adirondacks with Ron Saturday.  I want a snowshoe hare in a bad way.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #642 on: December 12, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I've been hunting hard. Mostly having nice young bucks hanging around. I can't count the number of spikes, 4's, 6's and 8's I've been passing up. At least 20 different bucks and many of the same ones over and over. One 8 I passed would have gone 120" all day long but he was only 2.5. I hit a monster non-typical in the shoulder 2 weeks ago. 3 inches over and he would have been very dead. Only the head penetrated and I'm sure he'll be fine. I know the deer and he is at least 8.5 years old and this was the first encounter I've ever had with him while hunting. Really hoping to catch up with some doe this week.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #643 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
One of the spikes that keeps coming by

A 6 that I've had at 20yds 3 times

A nice 8. It's hard to see is g2's in this pic but they are as long and the g3 you can see. The second pic is farther away but you can see his g2's better

« Reply #644 on: December 13, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
I'm going back at it this weekend, until the weather deteriorates. Put some memories in the freezer next to my black powder doe, if nothing else!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #645 on: December 13, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
I really enjoy following you guys in the woods on this thread. Its so cool to hear about hunts in a place so much different than where I live. Kinda funny though as you guys have the same ups and downs as we do here...just a bit colder and have not seen where any of ya`ll have seen a SNAKE.Hope ya`ll continue to post your hunts and those "snowshoe" adventures . I enjoy reading them. Good Luck and Happy Holidays,RC.

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #646 on: December 13, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Greg nice pictures..Good luck..

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #647 on: December 13, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
...just a bit colder and have not seen where any of ya`ll have seen a SNAKE.
Not this year.  Last year I did see a rat snake while out bowhunting - a first ever in October.  Also mosquitoes!  

Global warming.     :archer2:  

This year has been above normal.  Last year was freakishly warm.  Several years ago it was -15°F on the first weekend of late archery - which will be coming around again this Saturday.  We hit 63°F last week.  Wild!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline YankeeRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #648 on: December 13, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
I really enjoy following you guys in the woods on this thread. Its so cool to hear about hunts in a place so much different than where I live. Kinda funny though as you guys have the same ups and downs as we do here...just a bit colder and have not seen where any of ya`ll have seen a SNAKE.Hope ya`ll continue to post your hunts and those "snowshoe" adventures . I enjoy reading them. Good Luck and Happy Holidays,RC.
Me to RC since I cannot be there I have been really enjoying this thread. Going back and forth between this and Woody's Campfire   :campfire:
I love New York I really do !!!!!!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #649 on: December 13, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tdog:
Greg nice pictures..Good luck..
Thanks buddy. Not too bad for a camera phone

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #650 on: December 17, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
Had a good season so far. Killed a nice 4 point toward the middle of early bow season. I was fortunate to have dozens of other oppportunities at many other small bucks and does, but just didn't choose to shoot any of them. I did take many pictures of them though. I wanted to get out at least one more time in hopes of adding a nice young deer for the freezer. I left work at 3:15 PM and my hunt lasted all of 5 minutes in the stand. I was meat hunting and when the young deer walked in I didn't hesitate and it was over very quick. I had the nice sized deer field dressed and loaded in the truck by 4:15. I forgot my boots and hunting pants so I was hunting in my black work shoes and dress pants. Sometimes things are just meant to be. Had an amazing dinner of fried deer heart. Not a bad day for a rainy and drizzly work day.  Been so long since I've been on here that I don't know how to post pictures. I'm gonna give it a go for the last day of our season tomorrow after work.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #651 on: December 17, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Maybe I have to start hunting in my dress clothes!   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #652 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Good job Terry,I love it when people can put it all together near the end of the season,nice. I will be going out in the morning,going to a bow only area in Letchworth Park,almost had a shot at one the other night there but she saw me starting to draw and didn't hang around long enough to get killed. Good luck to all on our last day here in the southern zone.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #653 on: December 17, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Congrats Terry   :clapper:  

Good Luck Gerald.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #654 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Congrats brother....you make it seem so easy sometimes   :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #655 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Wow Terry, lucky your tie didnt get caught up in your string   :saywhat:   . When a man knows hunting it doesnt matter what hes wearing. Congrats and glad to see you back. I hope to see you in person soon. Hope the kids are all enjoying their new endeavors.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #656 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I made it out for the last day of the season. The rain actually slowed to a light drizzle and it was rather nice. Temperature was mild and the deer were moving. I saw 15 deer including an 80" 8 point that I've been passing up. Nothing wandered within my comfort zone, so there are still plenty for next year. Been a fun year but a little lonely without any my kids as hunting buddies. They are spread out all over. Tyler in Brazil, Emily in Manhattan, Jeff in Utah, and Jen in Utah a couple more months until she leaves for Southern France for 18 months. Life goes on....

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #657 on: December 18, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Well N.Y. bowhunters it's over for another year.Thanks so much to all you guys for keeping me informed on all your deer hunts throughout the season,it was fun to follow you all this year, with Guru and his son's first year to everybody and there ups and downs.I ended my year in my pop up blind at Letchworth park tonight,like Terry I saw 15-18 deer, 3 bucks, some close but no shots taken. The Lord has blessed me with a great 29th year of bowhunting, blessings to you all Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.    Gerald

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #658 on: December 18, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Slow down there! It ain't over for everyone! Westchester is open until the end of the month. Lol

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #659 on: December 18, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
I'll be trying to get out for the last few in Westchester.  Got a bad cold though!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©