3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: checkering  (Read 369 times)

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: checkering
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
if you do decide to checker instead both Brownells and Midway sell checkering files.  I don't work on long guns so the checkering I do is confined to metal but it's not too hard to do.  Just use a piece of scrap wood to get a feel for the file and take your time.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
RC, Tell her it's for her "crafts" hobby that you're buying it for her.  

Maybe she'll let you borrow it to cut arrows, too.  PM me and I'll take a pic of my simple cut-off jig for a dremel. And don't forget to explain the use of the flexible shaft option "she" needs. It'll work great to sharpen her garden cutt'n tools and keep the Stihl chain cutt'n good too.      :readit:
CoilSpring

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I've stippled grips on quiet a few bows the past few years going by Tim's HOW TO.

Practice on a piece of scrap wood until you get the hang of it......most importantly.....trust yourself and your abilities. You'll be amazed what you're able to do with a little patience and faith in yourself.

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
rc, I know you got bigger fish to fry now, but what about a beaver tail grip? I just got that Mamba we talked about and i think I'm gonna get large James to put some beaver on it.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I just customized my first bow with skins, antler burrs and I stippled the grip as well.  I had been finding it a bit "slippery" feeling.  Not great, but it really helped me feel like the bow is locked in place.  Certainly not a work of art, but I am happy with it.

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I have a different take on most things archery. Checkering or stippling will never show up on my bows. The last thing in the world I would want for my handle is that it would grip my hand. No surer way to transmit torque to the bow than for your hand to be unable to move on the handle.

A smooth handle force you to balance the pull of the string in the crown of the back of the handle.

JMO

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©