3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mininum draw weight  (Read 359 times)

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
mininum draw weight
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
not thinking of legalitys here but what would you guys consider the bare mininum draw weight to hunt bear and deer with a 2 blade head assuming you have 10gpp arrow  of what ever draw bow it is

this is ethical draw weight also
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mininum draw weight
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:00 AM »
I know Oregon is 40# minimum on the legal side but personally I would prefer 50# or more but it also depends on the size of the bear.  I've not taken a bear with traditional tackle only rifles and compounds and I've been amazed at just how tough they can be.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:09:00 AM »
also ill answer
 in my mind ethical bear rigs start at 55#

dont chastise me

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by ericmerg:
also ill answer

dont chastise me
Eric, whats the lowest bow weight you've killed  bears with? Personally I don't get hung up on a number, there's just too many variables other than a simple number. I would put a well tuned arrow and  brodhead sharpness first on the list.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
I would hunt black bear with my Grizzly. It's #50 @ 28.

Never bear hunted though.

Not sure this thread will last long.   :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:01:00 AM »
This set-up passed thru every deer I have shot with it (6).
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
here we go yet again.

look, aside from the gear legalities of yer hunting location, shoot the heaviest bow you can consistently, accurately handle and then check yer hunting ethics.  you wanna hunt bear with 40# or 45#, that's yer business, but you better know what yer doing or you might end up as bear supper.  :D

how long will this thread last .... ?
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
I would not chastise anyone for hunting black bear with 40#.

Lots of posts on bear and deer kills here.  If you took and Calculated the average recovery yardage on both I would bet you'd find white tailed deer are very tough critters and bears don't last so long with holes in their lungs.

Rob makes a good point though, although rare on both, the instances of deer charging when wounded are far more rare than bear.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
What bow?
What draw length?
There is no magic one only number.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by ceme24:
I would not chastise anyone for hunting black bear with 40#. ...
neither would i.  depends on the archer/hunter's credentials and mental status.

all of this stuff is VASTLY subjective, and each of us know what's right or wrong ... for each of us.  there is NO one, simple, perfect answer to the op's question.  which makes threads like this reasonably meaningless.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
QUOTE]Originally posted by ericmerg:
also ill answer
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Brad Arnett:
Eric, whats the lowest bow weight you've killed  bears with?  
On those two notes....how many big game animals have you killed with a trad bow Eric?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
in maryland its 30 lbs BUT I would never shoot that weight.check your local game laws.an shoot as much as you can. 40-45 will take deer just fine.but for bear I would want more

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Numbers on the bow is kind of abstract at best.  I have a recurve that is 45 at my 27" draw that will shoot a 520 grain arrow faster than my friends longbow that is more than 10 pounds heavier. Even that comparison is pointless if the arrow is optimal.  How much one deflates with buck fever or bear panic is a big one.  A strong confident shot with a 45 pound bow is always deadlier than a struggled shot with a heavy bow.  I heard of a young guy that thought he should go up in weight for elk, he practiced hard, just to find that he could not draw a 65 pound longbow back when shooting at an elk.  His 52 pound bow did just fine for him three days later.  For bear accuracy and a good arrow reign supreme.  I have been close to many black bear over the years, I hit one on the nose that was trying to sniff through the wall of my canvas tent, I never got the impression that any of those were planning on eating me.  Anyway, when watching bear that were mere feet away, while they were pretending that I did not see them and they weren't planning on trying to grab our food pack, two  things I considered when judging them to be a target for  an arrow.  1. Hair, it varies from bear to bear, some have a gnarly mass of it right where the arrow should go. That would explain some of the failures I have heard from hits with mechanical broadheads, where the simple file sharpened Hills seemed to be so devastating. 2. Fat, some bears look like they are on a pancake, gravy and bacon cheeseburger with fries diet. With a real fatso bear would my single bevel Hill get lost in the fat and would I be better off with a Delta or a Deadhead?  Then comes the poundage issue, how much will that Deadhead require over the single bevel Hill?  Don't know that one.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
With my 30" draw length, I have no hesitations when it comes to bowhunting deer with a 35# bow and black bear with a 42# bow.

This is why both of my two recurves are low poundage bows. My bowhunting experience spans 48 years......and counting.    ;)
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Moj, I have a 26&1/4" draw with longbows, my buddy draws over 27" with his longbow, no short drawing on either of us, he is under 6 feet and I am 5'9" the last time I checked, but I may be shrinking. Anyway shooting left handed I open up my form a bit because my neck does not like to turn that far to the right, used to draw over 28" with my right hand target form, but I looked like I was trying to fall over backwards. That Grooves Spitfire is flat out fast.  I would bet that there are a number of bows that could challenge it for speed today. For those with lighter weights or shorter draw lengths, I always like to suggest going for quicker designs.  It makes a difference.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Minimum bow weight is like a minimum speed limit.  It is legal but who drives it and feels comfortable doing it?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
I have never hunted bear (only deer), but I agree with the guys who put skill and well tuned equipment ahead of a specific number. The lowest poundage I have killed a deer with is 45# and the heaviest is 78#. Those deer are equally dead, so it is not the poundage per se that makes the biggest difference.  I would guess that whatever weight you are are most proficient at for deer ought be be good for bear, too. Currently, I shoot 65#, because that is the most I can shoot well.
Sam

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
i will openly admit that i have yet to kill a big game animal with trad equpitment. this thread isnt about what is the real mininum its all about what each persons views are as im new im just trying to get a feel for what the trad community feels is needed.

thats why i said "in my mind" is all opinions.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Ethical to who,,the bear or the guy shooting it?  lol

Offline collofthewild

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
Look at the thread with animals shot with 45# set-ups, that should alleviate any doubts with "lighter weight" and somewhat larger animals....

Atleast it did in my mind.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©