3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bout to cry.....  (Read 512 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bout to cry.....
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
The bow is fixable...whew...I thought maybe you actually had another encounter with a Rattler..    :eek:  ....and came out on the losing end!     :pray:  
That what I was thinking....darn snakes!! But that can be fixed and be stronger than new.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Sorry about your bow, Robert.  Glad you weren't hurt.  That is a good looking stick... I think I would have her fixed and continue shooting her.  I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it if repaired correctly.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
fixable for sure, I think,  let use knew..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Try Locktite 420, it's thin and will seep/wick into the crack and close the gap. See bowdocs restoration thread for details...

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
I bet super glue would fix u up!Give o whip a shout!
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
In my mind, Robert Carter and longbows just go together... Sorry to hear about your bow but glad to see you with the longbow again...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
You know, Brownells sells threaded brass pins to repair splits in gunstocks. I think some Loktite 420 and a couple of threaded pins would do the trick.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
wow that is a bummer, hope the fix works well.  At least for hunting season, then maybe give her a rest??

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
That used to be a fairly common place for splitting when using the step through method to string a recurve.  Should be fixable with super glue.  You can also drill & glue a small dowel rod across the fracture if you think you need more support.

I've picked up a couple cheap bows like that  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
And the hogs are breathing a sigh of relief! Good luck with the fix RC!
I doubt it Randy, he's got right where he wants them.
Sorry about your bow Robert. You reckon T Bone has been abusing it when you weren't paying attention?
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by jcrafferty:
Be careful with the dental floss in there because if you are thinking about fixing it. you don't want the wax to not let the glue adhere to the wood surface.
This is definitely repairable...But... if that dental floss is waxed you just cut the odds down considerably on getting a good bond without sanding the crack first.... I'd run some 120 grit sand paper into it just like you did the floss a couple times and flip the paper so it sands both sides of the split....I'd recommend epoxy for this repair.

Warm up the resin part of the epoxy real good in the micro wave before mixing the hardener. this will make it easier to "Force" into the split....  The trick to making sure you have enough epoxy all the way through the split is "Forcing" it into the crack from one direction until it comes out the other side. then wipe off the excess using a clean rag with lacquer thinner, and put a piece of masking tape over the side you started from, then force some more back in from the other direction an put some tape over that side too when you are done... let dry 24 hours before sanding and refinishing the riser.

if you are looking for someone else to do the work
please contact me, and I'll fix er up for you...

Question: Is that light colored accent phenolic or glass? or wood?

Kirk

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I fixed a Pearson Mercury hunter for a fellow in the 70s, they were two pieces joined vertically), that had a four inch separation though the grip.  I made two bubinga dowels. Drilled it, spread it a bit to get glue in, then glued the dowels and tapped them in.  After flushing off the dowels and refinishing, the bow was as strong as before, and the 5/16" dots looked like they belonged.  If your crack gets worse even, it would still be repairable.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Good offer Kirk!
Robert,your bow is not lost yet,but a good reason to have a second back up LB.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Fidelios

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that..
My grandfather was a hunter in Africa. He remembered every single animal he harvested. He is my reference.
Bodnik Big Bear #50
Bodnik Kodiak Hunter #50 @28
Samick Spikeman #50 pounds @29.5
Samick Equus #45 pounds @ 28
Ragim Wolf #45 @ 28

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Dang! Sorry to see that RC. I just hate when bows break on me. I've had 2 give up the ghost this summer.

Good luck with that Mohawk!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©