3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schafer silver tip  (Read 469 times)

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schafer silver tip
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
I have been a big fan of Silvertips for some time.  I have owned a few, but currently I have two 60 inchers, 53# @ 28 and 56# @ 28.  I draw a tad over 29 so I am getting a bit more poundage than marked.

The 53# bow has accounted for more venison than any bow I own.  It was originally 58# and I made a huge mistake of selling this bow to Tim Golder.  He took 20+ whitetails with it before selling it to Bill Webster.  Luckily I got it back from Bill and had it reduced to 53#.  It has been my go to bow since I got it back and the bow still has much mojo. Last year I took a buck and a doe in 20 minutes with it.

I had the 56# bow made when my Mother passed away.  I hadn't hunted with it much so I took it on bear hunt at Stickflingers this spring.  I shot my bear at 12 yards with a 625 arrow and a snuffer.  The arrow went completely through the bear and stuck an inch in a log on the opposite side of the bear.  It will get carried often from this point on.

I also have a couple of Robertsons, a Talltines and a Dale Dye.  They are all great bows. I probably switch back and forth more than I should, but these bows are all similar in style.  However if I get in a shooting slump, the Silvertips come out.

D.P.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
In my Opinion, there is not a Better hunting recurve built than the Silvertip!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Sergio,don't tell me you own a Tip!LOL.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
I am wanting to try a Silvertip something bad. I am supposed to be taking a hiatus from archery but the recurve keeps calling my name. I really liked a camo limbed one that just sold on here but could not swing it to make it happen. I really want to shoot a shoot one to see if I really like it. I have heard nothing but good about the bows and Dave and his wife.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
I just bought a Tip made a deal on one 62" 47@27 I draw 27"
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
ranger 3 please post up some pictures. Great specs.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
I have owned sevral high end bows.the silver tip blows all of them away it is truely in a class of its own.I would probaly not buy any other recurve.unless it was something that just struck me funny about it.I have never shot any of there longbows so I cant speak of them.I shoot alot of 3-d my average score went up 20 points in 1 month.they are pricy an they do take a little time to get.they are some real nice people to work with an are willing to take there time to help you with any concerns or questions.I would buy one new so you can get everything you want just the way you like it.there is no sense getting one on trade because it is a costly purchase an you want everything to be perfect as far as the grip an lenth,poundage.good luck take your time an think about what you want.you will be very pleased an blown away when the mailman shows up.take care ED LONG

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Sergio,
I will have to agree with you about the "tips". I had mine up for sale, but decided to keep it and glad I did.

Grouse

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
I have two and there is not a finer recurve made. Dave and Beth are class folks and great to work with. You can't go wrong with a Silvertip.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Careful there Felix or I will release a Pic of the fine work I did on your bow when I was at Dave & Beth's LOL. Heck I'll post it anyway Hee Hee.   This is Felix's Riser that I did some "custom work on".LOL  Here are Beth and I holdind each of Felix's 2 new riser's. heh,heh. This is just before I reshaped them for felix:-)   Here are the 3 Amigo's Left Dave,Centre me, right Bob Windauer. A fine bunch if I do say so myself!

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
I have had a few silvertips  over the years both Pauls and Daves, they are just great bows for hunting seem to always fit your hand perfectly and shoot where your looking.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 04:00:00 AM »
Those are some 2 serious twins!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Cochise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
I LOVE mine! it's a takedown i bought used off this site.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
I own two and after seeing Felix's twins I ordered another,LOL. I have owned several and they are now my go to bow. My other bows are getting very jealous.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
I've been through a vast bunch of bows,and I am a Silvertip fanatic.Tons of great bows out there, but I have always been drawn to my Schafers.
I love the history behind them, and the modern day team that builds them are the most down to earth and friendly people you'll ever meet.
I sat on a select piece of exotic wood for over 8 years, waiting to be built into my personal bow of all bows. The decision came pretty easily, it turned into one hell of a Silvertip.
David M. Conroy

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
TTT

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
I own a couple of Silvertip recurves built by Dave and to me they are awesome in both workmanship and performance.  One is a 60 inch in the other is 62.  More than that though, both Dave and Beth are a pleasure to deal with.  A couple of summers ago I had a chance to stop by their place as part of a trip.  It was neat to see where my bows were built and chat with the guy who did it.  I was even more impressed with the work that he does given the fairly simple setup he has.  He is a true craftsman (as are many other top bowyers!!).  While we were chatting Dave showed me how confident you can be in a Silvertip limb.  This one had a flaw in it and had been hanging on the wall.  Sorry for the blurry pic but you get the idea.  I hope to stop by again sometime.  Very nice people and a nice part of the world too.....Rick.

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I've got one 'Tip I bought used several years ago, and along the way I bought another set of limbs.

But the other day when I was out at Dave's, those two bows of Felix's made me drop 200 bucks on wood for my next one.  Except mine will have Macassar in the middle and B&W ebony in the swells.  I'll order it with Macassar veneers and probably 50 Lbs.  The hunting limbs will be 57# and backed with some kind of snakeskins.

IMO, there is not a better hunting recurve than a Silvertip.  They're a great blend of speed, smoothness, ergonomics, and they're dead sexy.

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Okay, hows'about a few pics of double 10x's with Silvertips.

Brother and I in Havre MT

Soulbrutha Troy and I at Troy MT.

Soulbrutha Troy and I at Thompson Falls

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©