3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For the PA hunters?  (Read 309 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
For the PA hunters?
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Well a friend of mine just offered me a free pass all season long to hunt on his 180 acre mountain in Jim Thorpe PA it is surrounded by protected federal property and it has no homes on it. He has not hunted it since he bought it 3 years ago. He scouted and saw deer,turkey and bear.

So tell me a little about Jim Thorpe PA and PA hunting.Thanks Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For the PA hunters?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Tags may be tough to come by this late. You get an antlered tag right off the bat for sure, but does tags will likely be sold out now. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Jim thorpe is beautiful, especially during the fall. A great town right on the lehigh river. It's a really nice area. Fairly hilly.

I expect that hunting in Pa is the same as anywhere else, just some different scenery.

Good Luck!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Hate to say this If it hasn't been hunted in 3 years and your friend hasn't been there. I hope you don't have to be chasing all the trespassers off the property. Pa is noted for people trespassing with out permission. It's the only down fall in the state.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Craig:
Hate to say this If it hasn't been hunted in 3 years and your friend hasn't been there. I hope you don't have to be chasing all the trespassers off the property. Pa is noted for people trespassing with out permission. It's the only down fall in the state.
I agree be prepared to have guys try to throw you off your own property. i have see it first hand. no joke! But it could be amazing spot if its been untouched.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
The only downfall of the state? What about our Deer Elimination Program? LOL
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Could not agree more. You have to be watching your land. Getting a doe tag may be trouble.

I'm hunting on the other side of 476. It's my Dads place but I know folks are on it. I have to carry a gun.

Martin

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
that's a great deal. i hate it for you as far as the poachers go, that must be a pain. My wife is from Wellsboro,and man is it beautiful up there!
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
Hope it works out for you! Keep us posted.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
You guys def hit all the negative points. How about some positives now?
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
Kyle,

You're right! Great news is; last time I was there with my son hunting turkeys, we saw three really nice buck in the hollow that runs through the property. I hope they are still there. They were just growing their antlers. The farmer next door planted corn behind the barn which is where I hunt for the most part. Its a bench that runs flat for a couple of hundred yards and then leads down to water in the hollow. The bench is just lower then the surrounding area. I know they think they are out of sight. Okay, now I'm excited!

I'm thinking of heading up there on Sunday to post it and scout again.

Martin

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
It sounds like you have a wonderful opportunity to hunt on, hopefully, your own private mountain paradise.  Keep us posted on what you see this season, and don't forget to share some pics!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Positives?

Hmmmmm........well, last year I saw four deer in all of bow and gun season. I guess that's better than seeing three deer!

Hey, we are starting to get that early Fall smell and morning chill in the air. Something definately stirs inside you as the season approaches. I can't wait to get out there to try again!

Good luck to all the PA hunters!

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
I saw hundreds of deer down here on the 80+ acre property that I hunt. A lot has to do with how things are managed in your area and how much pressure there is. There were days when I counted 60+ deer in a single morning.

Hopefully no one has been hunting that property. You may have a little deer haven on your hands!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Live in CO., still own a cabin in Jim Thorpe, Pa. Always see deer, turkey & bear when I'm there.  I would certainly take advantage of the opportunity.Good luck.
"They're all trophies"

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
not the deer that there used to be here in pa, BUT i think there are better buck than than there used to be aslo.  I see nothing negative about having some more property to hunt that you didnt in the past.  Like others said, keep an eye out for trespassers!!!

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
It's only good if you bring someone.

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
lpcjon2,  I live 30 minutes from Jim Thorpe and this property is in Zone 4C ,no doe permits left at this point. You can get a Buck tag to hunt a 3 point per side or better and included fall and spring turkey tag for nonresident. Bear permit is extra but is not a draw. I would love to have the opportunity to stump shoot and scout the property with you. Good Luck this season.......Bobby

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Thanks for all the reply's guys. My buddy was up to the place a few weeks ago and he did find a few(2) wooden stands. They were removed and a posted sign was placed along with a business card of his buddy who is a PA State police detective(may help deter a few). We are going to make a date to go and post it some more, and cut a few trails.

I got some advice from Dock Nock to contact the DNR guy from that area and make friends with him(The owner of the property is a Medical Examiner and has a ton of law enforcement friends)Maybe as a professional courtesy he can keep an eye on it a bit better.

As with all property I know the poachers are about, but with fresh posted signs,trails and word of mouth that we will be up on the property on a constant basis may help.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Timothy,

I will be hunting just outside of Lehighton the second week in November. Let me know if you will be hunting at that time. I would like to meet you. Its about a ten minute ride.

Let me know.

Martin

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I've hunted my dads friend who leased 4 different farms. Think peppers & cabbage.  Anyway tons of deer sign and was told of recent elk sittings. His was years ago too.  I saw several does and a yearlying tried to climb up the tree to me-very cool.
Good luck
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©