3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbon arrow footing question  (Read 154 times)

Offline stickum

• Trad Bowhunter
carbon arrow footing question
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
When you add an alluminum foot to a carbon shaft does it weaken the spine?  If it is longer than the insert does it stiffen the shaft?  Trying to figure which shaft to go with and this info will help.  I got a new long bow 49lbs @ my 28" draw.  I have some MFX Classics 400's from a my recurve and a 30.5" featherd shaft with 145 gr tip hits dead center where I am aiming at 20 yrds but the bare shaft is showing to stiff.  5 to 6 inches left of fletched shafts.  These arrows are 14% FOC and the local stores only have 125 tips and lighter.  Trying to figure out whether to go to 500 spine or if I can tune these.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbon arrow footing question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
In General,
Footing same length as insert will weaken.
Footing longer than insert will stiffen the weakness caused by it's extra weight.

I think a 500 shaft would tune better with your 125's and footing, but it would be cheaper to order heavier tips/heads and tune your 400's with shorter footers.
CoilSpring

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
I use a 1" footing on the front and 1/4" in front of the nock.The two come so close to cancelling each other out,that you won't notice a change in tuning.As long as you are doing it,protect both ends.

Offline stickum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Thanks, these are some old classics that I won at a 3d six or seven years ago.  Just talked to a guy at cabellas and he said that the new classics come with adjustable weighted inserts from fifty to seventy five grs.  That should make the 400's work I think.  The 30.5" bareshaft with 125 grain tip hits about 6" left of fletched and the same shaft with 145 gr tip is 3-4" left of fletched.  The 145 gives me 14% FOc, so between full length arrow and wtd insert do you think the 400's will tune?  (rt handed shooter)Cabellas has fletched half dozs of 400 and 500 in stock.  I will buy a half doz to tune, but still not sure whether to go with the 400 or 500.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©