3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In search of Bigfoot!  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
In search of Bigfoot!
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I'd like to share my experience and my trail through the woods in search of a bow that would solve some long-standing issues...if it were possible.  

As my investigations unfolded, I began a "Search for Bigfoot".  Perhaps you'd like to join my journey?

Before I start, let me say that I have heard many great things about many, many bowyers on this site and elsewhere.  I’m sure there are other bowyers who could have done a great job addressing my grip problem, but I only had so much money and at my age, so much time.  Life the past 2 years, visiting my father in a nursing home daily, driving 2 hrs to and from work...left me a bit wore out.   "[dntthnk]"  

Yes, I have a grip issue with standard risers--90% of the bowyers I talked to over the years felt they could ‘fix the problem!” but I’ve been burned a few times so I decided to give it one more try.

Friends recommended 2 bowyers:  I contacted Kirk and one other bowyer by email.  Both got back to me. I talked to one who recommended I try his customer's bow who lived in my region. I did. Not even close.  :(   Words can be so fragile when it comes to explaining something so complex as a bow grip or challenges to same.

Kirk responded by email. A few exchanges later, after reviewing my perceived issue with grips, Kirk provided me with a list of things that he would need from me to figure out if he could build a custom bow that would resolve my grip issues.  He wanted “data” to determine if it was a grip design problem, or if there were flaws in my form or execution that no bow grip would fix.

I’m a data driven guy and Kirk asking for “data” to review, well, that fit my personality!

There is a “cost” associated with him diagnosing and custom building a grip to fit, but Kirk appeared very thorough in what he asked. I learned from others that he pulls few punches and if it was not a bow grip problem, I sensed he’d not waste my money or his time!  I liked that!

Kirk gave me an outline of what he would need.  He wanted videos and still pictures from a bunch of angles and viewpoints plus hand tracings.

We struck a deal.  He invested heavily in time and reviewed everything--- and provided feedback to me that he identified a body mechanic issue with how I rotate my wrist and that he felt he could remedy my issue.   And the safarri began...

Next: The build choices....
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: In search of Bigfoot!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
wow..this gonna be awesome  I agree that Kirk is a thinker and very meticulas on how he does thingd..you can tell by his post and video's
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:01:00 AM »
Mumm's the word....but Kirk did an absolutely first rate job for his customer.  Now....let the story unfold Doc.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:18:00 AM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »
This ought to be good!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
The Build choices

I had to make some very difficult “choices”.  Choices abound on his website, but funds were limited.  His “Riser Design” web page shows a one piece and his 3- piece bows in 3 different configurations.
 http://www.bigfootbows.com

There is also another “page” for Upgrades listing costs on special features, overlays, and a myriad of “add-on’s”.  I did my homework on his site. I studied the options closely. I made a list of choices and figured my budget. Next step was to ask Kirk questions.

I carefully wrote out my questions:  Which t/d 3 piece riser configuration is most forgiving? Which produces the best performance, etc.  During my “waiting period” Kirk systematically answered my questions in turn.  He took time to “explain” the "why" on some things in ways even I could understand.  I learned a lot. I not only was choosing MY bow’s custom configuration, but I found I was also building a relationship.  

I'll pick up here Sunday...off to a shoot.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Where ya goin', Doc?
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Doc, I'm just hangin here, GEEZ

Seriously, I recently had Kirk build a bigfoot for me including a custom grip from a grip and riser I sent him, along with hand pics and tracings, Kirk did suggest a slight modification and it worked out wonderfully. Traded numerous emails and Kirk was always very helpful, knowledgeable and easy to converse with. Had an excellent experience and by the way, Loving my bigfoot sasquatch td. Thinking about my second.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:

I'll pick up here Sunday...off to a shoot.
Now thats just plain mean.

Is there such a thing as a "story foul"?

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Sorry guys...   :notworthy:  

Killy,
Big Jim Hurt (Chris Hurt, the trick shooter's Dad) has a PLA shoot down near the MD line in S. York Co at his local club this weekend. I got some job search chores today, and need to run there either tomorrow or Sun to the shoot... Bow was mailed priority Thurs AM from OR and might be here Sat... so I'm really torn about going tomorrow to shoot. Didn't get a trackin # so that won't be an option.

Kirk is on a short holiday to celebrate his Wedding Anniversary and I want him to be around to clarify anything I say that needs illumination and to help w/ pics.

Here's a "preview" to hold ya all till I get back on line

These will show up--- as this unfolds...  :)

...gotta scoot!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
I've ordered a few custom bows throughout the years, but I have never dealt with a bowyer as thorough as Kirk.

I am also a STICKLER on grips. A few bowyers have gotten close to making a grip to my satisfaction, but Kirk nailed it dead on.

If you're able to supply Kirk with the information he asks for, you'll wind up with a truly CUSTOM bow that SUITS/FITS you.....no one else may like it, but it will be EXACTLY what you ask for.

I was fortuntate enough to hunt with Kirk earlier this year. I think 5 of us were already shooting Big Foot bows, plus Kirk brought along several more bows for folks to try out. I knew that Kirk had built my grip like I wanted, but it really opened my eyes to what Kirk was doing in terms of building grips to suit different guys. On that trip, I was able to shoot 8 or 9 of Kirks bows, each one with a different grip....some I could have gotten along with, and some I didn't care for at all. The others guys loved their grips as much as I did mine. My grip was totally different than any bow there, but it's the perfect grip for me.

I think you're going to be impressed with your Big Foot Doc.....Kirk has taken the word CUSTOM to a new level.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
I know everyone drools over bocote veneers, but I like the looks of what is going into the middle of that oreo!!! Without all the little pin knots I bet a bunch of folks won't even recognize it.
Thom

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Doc, mine took 3 days from Kirk to SC.

Very attractive wood, drool drool. Love bocote.

Which bigfoot are you getting?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Doc, I've always enjoyed your posts and think of you as a good guy, but I believe you have violated some posting ethics by stringing us out.   :readit:   Hope you get to pick up your bow tomorrow.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Hey...CRash, et al,

Well, I'm finally back at the computer "briefly."

I'm not "violating anything"... I'm just a student of Charles Lamb!  :)

Seriously... we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Katman, thanks...now I for sure lost Saturday to being here!  :)   Thurs-Fri-Sat... I'll be rattlin around here like a pea in a boxcar hopin and waitin.

I can say that what is on it's way is a 60", 47# Sasquatch LB.  

Billy Ship,
I know that Kirk will be flattered to read your kind words...but indeed...custom is as custom does.

Never understood how "custom" got aligned with the ala carte chinese take out menu for ordering up just "wood combos". Indeed, Kirk offers a truly "custom" experience...

Where's Kirk w/ pictures when I need him!? Oh, yeah...celebrating his anniversary with his lovely bride of many years! Yeah!  :)

Thom, whatchatalking bout Willis? Pin knots? What you think that is bro? PM me...!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the PM Dave, do I get a second guess?    :biglaugh:  

Cant' believe I'll be gone for all the excitement coming up!
Thom

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
NOpe...Thom...ain't Yew...or hew or U...

This will be fun.

Good luck hunting NE...geeze, I think I'm torn tween my new bow and wishing I was going with YOU!

:bigsmyl:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
All I know is, next to Kirk and Doc I'll be the first person to see it, touch it, and maybe even shoot it before y'all!  Heh,heh!

Lee

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Now Doc ol buddy, you are tormenting all these fine folks on here. Including me!!!!

So you have my permission to continue...........forget sleep, it's overrated.   :bigsmyl:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
Well this is off to good start Doc.   :thumbsup:

I made it back from the coast this evening, and it's late... but i suppose i could at least give the guys you are teasing here a couple more pics, and tell them about the snake fight....

This purdy red wood we are using for an I-beam in this bow riser is actually called Waterfall Bubinga. This particular batch i purchased,looked like a snake fight to me, so i told Dave i call it "snake fight bubinga" or "Bubba Snake fight"....

So here's a shot of the rough riser laid up with some matching veneers.

I promised Dave I'd help him out with some more photos and do some explanations on some of this stuff as we go through the build.... We had a lot of fun building this one together...

Here's a couple more of our next step putting  the overlays on her....

I gotta get some Zzzzzz's.... More tomorrow... Kirk

Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©