3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In search of Bigfoot!  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: In search of Bigfoot!
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Well, Larry... then you're blessed!!!

All I care about at this point is that it arrives in one piece, safe and sound...

Down here, they likely hauled it to my town in an Amish buggy
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
well, Ill say this, there is a very good chance that you will enjoy it when it shows!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Hey Doc, don't worry, the bow will show up in great shape, I hear Kirk does an excellent job of packing his bows. Finally got to see a Sasquatch in person at GLLI and talk to another person that owns one. The risers look blocky to me in photos but in person they have a pleasant line. Lots of mass in there with the G10, maybe a bit lighter in yours, I think you will like that. Waterfall bubinga is a beautiful veneer. Can't wait to see the pics.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:

Down here, they likely hauled it to my town in an Amish buggy
Hey ol bud, you opted to live in PA! I think I might hijack me a buggy on Monday!   :scared:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
here is what those veneers look like under glass...

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
No way will a bow made like that get to you in one piece!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Owly,

Remind me to never put you on my "call" list if I am ever bummed out or need encouragement!    :laughing:

That is just so kind of you right before bedtime.     "[dntthnk]"  

Things will start to unfold here a bit quicker later tomorrow and into the early week...

Especially after the bow actually arrives in my hot mitts!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
Think he just means since its a takedown    :pray:  
This is gonna be interesting. Hope it fixes whatever you were having problems with after it gets there.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
You are absolutely right mr. owl.... it's a 3 piece bow.   :readit:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
:)   I didn't figure Hoot Owl meant it to be mean really...    ;)  

But if that was the joke...cause it's a "3-piece" that one went over my head, guys... it was late! LOL :)Ya'll got me good on that one! Good'un, guys!   :saywhat:  

As you all saw... the limbs are XX carbon matrix.

After my deposit, I managed to pay ahead a bit at a time, thru my “wait period”.  As luck would have it, by spreading out the payment over time, I was able to squeeze out a few “bells and whistles.”

One option I really wanted, due to my lower draw weight, was to go with XX carbon and foam core on my limbs. I was shooting for a draw weight in the 45-47# range.  Kirk agreed that the XX works best in the longbow limb and the XXX in his recurve limbs. We settled on XX and foam core.

Because I love wood grain, I inquired if there was a terrible performance loss if I got veneers both belly and back of the limbs?  Kirk recommended very thin veneers back and belly under thin glass.  He stated with the carbon and foam core, I’d only lose a few fps.  

I know the logic of veneers on the ‘back’ and black glass on the belly for enhanced performance, but then I sit there in my stand with my bow backwards admiring the backside veneers on long waits…and am NOT prepared should/when a deer shows up.   :knothead:    

That would not do… Yup! THIN veneers on belly and back…with the carbon foam core limbs... that'll work!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
Remember, these we saw Kirk posted yesterday...

That's the belly...

the back was going to be thin veneers of that great looking bocote (nice job on the sculpted tips, Kirk)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
Looking good. Hope she arrives Monday and you can spill the beans. Interested to see how the I-beam and caps came out.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:  Of course I meant because it was a 3 piece takedown! Even Kirk wouldn't ship a takedown assembled, unless he was afraid that in all your excitement you might struggle getting her put together! Monday is your day Doc.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Here ya go Dave... i found that picture of the bocote veneers....

Here is a photo of the Matrix carbon, and how the stuff is laid up.....

There are many different types of carbon and each recipe has a different lay up configuration and different strength properties. Using the right combination with uni carbon combined, can enhance the stability and performance of the limb considerably.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Back from the day shoot... did really well considering I was dancing with my old partner...and not the new gal.

Shot high on ONE target --- a long rang goat against a rock wall...

Seems I have some repair work on that carbon...or try to salvage some parts anyway... Craaaap.

sigh... just looking at those veneers and woods again brings back grand memories of the first time Kirk showed them to me... I think a tear ran down my cheek to think that li'l ole ME was going to get THOSE woods in MY bow!    :eek:  

That is some graphic on the carbon, Kirk!

I know you blew up a lot of limbs finding what lay up of the varied formats of carbon limb materials provide you the performance + vertical and horizontal (?) stability that you wanted.

I think I'm glad I met you now that you have that all figured out!    :thumbsup:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
Good luck sleeping tonight Doc. Like a kid on Christmas eve.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
Oh, with my luck, the loyal USPS folks will have inadvertently slipped it into a trailer bound for Maine and I won't see it till Wednesday...    :scared:  

Larry posted our bows both shipped at the same time and his hit NY early YESTERDAY... so I am trying to steel myself for perhaps Tuesday....but I can hope!

On with the story...

As Kirk and I discussed the layout of the bow and the 2 beautiful woods (you've seen both the Bubinga and bocote), I managed to scrape a few more $$$ and get the belly ramp caps to accentuate and compliment the bocote and waterfall bubinga in the riser.

But the goal of all this, besides being devoted to a few “performance enhancements”, (XX carbon matrix and foam core) was to get a bow that FIT.

One that I would pick up and would snuggle into my hand the SAME WAY every time…to help create consistency[/b] so the rest of my form work would result in improved accuracy.  

My choices have always been to offset my consistent inconsistencies in my self, by trying to eliminate inconsistencies in those things I use!

Now if the Postman would just here so I can see what I can see...!    :saywhat:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
Easy Dave, good things come to those who wait and wait and wait...  hehe. Once she is in your hands you will forget all about the wait, with those woods you should be overwhelmed.

With Kirk's skill I am sure you will love the grip.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
How about a sneak preview of those belly ramps Dave?  if this doesn't make you loose sleep... nothing will....    :biglaugh:  

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
And stippled grip too? Doc, you went some bells but mostly whistles on this one!  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©