3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In search of Bigfoot!  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: In search of Bigfoot!
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
That is some perfect lighting on that, Kirk...

And yeah...that oughta have me "tossin and turnin, turning and tossin, turning and tossing all night[/b]"

And if that ain't enough, this outa help up the ante.

Introduce your Shop Assistant, Kirk...is her name Gracie as I thought?

BTW, I put up a question earlier... when do you most strongly recommend the G-10 for an I-Beam vs. a wood I-beam? Is there a weight point or what?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Owly,

Nope... not mostly Whistles...cat calls or "wolf whistles, maybe, but that is all just things that naturally flowed outa the combination of carefully chosen woods and then the artful melding Kirk did...tying it all together in harmonious ways --- Those were all his ideas.

And every addition also served a functional purpose... stippling was part of Kirk's recommendation for consistent grip alignment too.

All I had to do was sneak around at 2AM and steal all the aluminum cans out of my neighborhood recycle bins for a couple weeks and take them to the Recycle place for cash myself...

Y'know...some of them still had BEER in them. Added bonus!   :eek:    :scared:    :knothead:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
that's a wild looking riser doc nock!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Very nice!! I like that combination really well.

God bless, Steve

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Doc that is exactly what I was thinking! WOW! I'm gonna hook up some bags and baskets on my bicycle and start picking cans too! I wish you nothing but 12 rings and P&Yers from here on out. Well, starting tomorrow....maybe  ;)    :p
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Doc, you should have no worries about the grip fit ....... the one kirk made for me, my hand automatically goes to the same place each time. I was sharing with a fellow bowhunter of mine how my previous bow made my elbow hurt after shooting it. My new Sasquatch does not, and in fact seems to make my elbow feel BETTER!
AND shoots "Dead in the Hand".  :thumbsup:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Thanks, Larry...I'm sure yours is pretty "wild" too in that you have had it in your hot hands for 2 days now!  :)

Thanks for all the neat comments. I picked woods, sure, but the Meister is the one who put it together in a way that carried thru.

Kirk and I talked a lot via email on how to bring this to fruition.  I didn't want that beautiful waterfall (snake fight) bubinga to just be seen in the sight window...rest of the I-beam was edge grain...so Kirk quickly suggested that he was going to run a lam of it down the back side of the riser to tie into the bocote veneers on the back... and then he got the idea to use the "belly ramp caps" to show that gorgeous bubinga wavy grain and tie it into the I-beam. As you see on page 4, it worked incredibly well.

The man has the eye of an artist!

The bow looks as good from the back side as the belly side:

I like grain (figure, burl and swirl) and I like contrast... I got it all with Kirk's help and choice of wood blocks to put together and then tie it all into one smooth transitioning piece of functional art

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Sweet looking bow Doc, I hope it does everything you want it to, and you've learned well Grasshopper, Charlie would be proud.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
Great looking bow Doc,let us know how you like shooting it.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
Sorry about missing the I-bean question earlier Doc.....

Wood I-beams are not new at all, It's the name we chose for that center lamination that's new. a lot of the older Bear bows and Ben Pearson bows to name a couple incorporated multiple lamination's in the wood risers to help strengthen them. Often times is was done with the same piece of wood too..... Besides strengthening the riser it also eliminates warping or twisting that isn't uncommon using one solid piece of wood.

The G-10 material i use is actually called  Garolite. It's an epoxy fiberglass lay up with very high tensile strength. i recommend this product for increasing riser stiffness and adding mass weight to a riser for those who like a little more physical weight in their hands.

when do you most strongly recommend the G-10 for an I-Beam vs. a wood I-beam? Is there a weight point or what?
To answer your question specifically, I would most strongly recommend using G-10 when the  riser wood choice is questionable in strength vs the draw weight of the bow. A good example of that is using domestic hardwoods like black walnut, western curly maple, or all different kinds of burl wood.... the riser shape and length itself can be a determining factor too.

I also highly recommend it for those that like really skinny grips with a circumfrence of 4.75" or less.

Your riser has a "Radius Back" and will be stronger than a riser with a "Flair back" like this one because the two limb pads are connected, or tied together.

here is a couple flair back risers with, and without an I beam.... the first one has a G-10 I beam exposed. the second one uses a flair shape footing with fiberglass accents for strength.

I hope that answers your question... Kirk

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
My son David and I were able to spend a good bit of time speaking with Kirk at ETAR (and shooting his bows  :)  )and I will say that this whole thread is further proof to me of the type of bowyer Kirk is. He was so willing to discuss, not only what he does, but why he does it, and that speaks a lot. It really seems that bow making, and that includes designing, trying, testing, etc. is really a passion for him and it shows in his work. I can only say that if I was to look for a new bow his name would be at the top of a very short list.

My son, however, has a really short list, one, and that is Kirk. I just have to get him to the point where he can earn money from people other than me.

Enjoy your bow, Doc! I'm sure it will be a shooter as much as it is a beauty.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
Well, see...I'm NOT done learning. I never really understood that G-10 I-beam as well as I now do.

Tween my fat arse grip, and the strong woods, the wood I-beam just works fine and suited my tastes better and I'm sure, will give my poor ole tired bones plenty of riser mass.

Some of the much smaller, almost "splinter" style longbow grips and risers just never gave me enough meat to hang onto...or weight to keep the bow grounded...

Crash, Grinch,

Thanks! I made all my choices on this bad boy, except the woods, to do one thing... help me shoot better! Kirk came highly recommended as one to truly put the meaning back into the word custom bowyer, and I was assured (as has played out here by others posts over and over) that if anyone could make a grip fit ME, it was HE!    :thumbsup:  

Kirk added the artistic flare and eye appeal.  I made a few suggestions and over time, he'd get back to me and say something like, "Y'know, I thought you were nuts (I think he still does) but that idea of one veneer on the belly and a different on the back might just work", but other'n that, it's all his own artistic flare surfacing.

David,
I agree.  Kirk will never make the most money...he invests way too much time with a customer, teaching, sharing and building a total appreciation (and understanding) in what choices the person is making so they have NO buyer's remorse.

I hung around a few bowyer's shops. I've seen things done. But to see it, almost experience it and to actually come to "understand it", has only elevated the process from just plain amazing to a true scientific/artistic level and made me feel a part of "MY BOW".

I don't know your son's age, but helping him buy something that will be with him over time and help shape him in an adventure of the outdoors will serve him a lot longer than a new cell phone, laptop, or even a car...

All 3 of those might only serve to help him dig a deeper hole with those purdy looking gals... and that can only lead to TROUBLE!  :)    :rolleyes:    :goldtooth:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »
Doc, when you get that beauty in your hands, would you please show some closeups of the grip and your hand on the bow?  You have a nice eye for wood combos.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2012, 06:11:00 AM »
Doc Doc Doc, you know you won't sleep a wink until she arrives.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
"Sorry about missing the I-bean question earlier Doc..... "

Apple has come out with a fiber supplement?
Crap.

Killdeer    :confused:      ;)    
Wake up, Doc!
Maybe it will come in an early Express run!
    :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
GOOD MORNING VIET NAM!!!

Ah, yes... I think if Kirk had sent it "Express" he'd have told me.  I think it's just PRIORITY and they tell me locally, that doesn't get any special handling for delivery...just rolls out with the regular mail and if it's there, it's there... comes in after the carrier leaves, NOPE!

Yeah...I'm excited...but shoot...it was worth waiting for my "slot" to open up...so it's worth waiting a few days yet...A FEW!   :bigsmyl:

BEyondmyKen,

This is the best I can do for you...right now.

Kirk studied my shooting over and over from videos and stills... and is apparently quite good at picking out the degree of angle folks have in their bow holding position... as you can read, many have been so delighted with the EXACT fit they got from KIRK

That doesn't shot much... but it's something to hold ya while I wait...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
OH...btw, my Rememberer didn't break...

That adorable dog's name really is GRACIE!

Not only a fine assistant in the shop and a great eye for detail in the finished format, but apparently quite the squirrel dog who tries to climb trees to boot!    :rolleyes:    :jumper:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:

I don't know your son's age, but helping him buy something that will be with him over time and help shape him in an adventure of the outdoors will serve him a lot longer than a new cell phone, laptop, or even a car...

All 3 of those might only serve to help him dig a deeper hole with those purdy looking gals... and that can only lead to TROUBLE!   :)      :rolleyes:      :jumper:    

I definitely agree with you on all points there, Doc. No cell phone, no laptop, too young for a car yet (only 14). Knowing my son he will find some way to work off the money needed to get one. He's done it before for one of those wheelie things (he still shoots both - and still shoots trad better than me - kids). He's making and selling wood arrows at present - nice stuff too.

Enjoy your bow. Hope this was a bit of a distraction from a few anxious moments of waiting.    :)
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
David,

Didn't mean to meddle. Sounds like you're a GOOD parent in not handing the world to your son...

I see that as a form of child abuse to give all those things...then when real world reality hits when on their own...they get blindsided.

If he shoots Trad so well, perhaps if he has a strong enough desire for a Sas...he can sell that wheelie contraption with the season approaching and do well!?    :bigsmyl:

Congrats to you and your son.  He doesn't realize the benefits of your parenting approach just yet, but he will!

I know this is my "once in a lifetime" bow experience and I have every confidence that this will be "IT"!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
No worries about "meddling", Doc. I need as much wisdom as I can get. I ask daily too (James 1) but can always use it from those that have walked the road as well. So, thank you, and feel free to "meddle" away.  :)

He's not at the point of selling the wheelie thing yet. Still enjoys shooting both. I think he really wants to take a deer this year with both (if possible - and he should have the opportunity). He missed one last year with the compound and had a chance at a big deer (130's?) with the recurve but didn't feel comfortable shooting it with the shot he had. I'm thankful he was willing to pass a shot that he wasn't comfortable with. I'm guessing the wheelie will go before too long though as he "enjoys" shooting traditional far more (who doesn't when the try it). His choice though in his time. This is one of those areas where I have to give him liberty to choose. It's not a matter of right or wrong morally.  :)  

Looking forward to the pictures when you get the bow.

Blessings.
David

Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©