3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A day on public land  (Read 811 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
A day on public land
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
I left the house early this morning to do a little scouting for the upcoming deer season. Pig killing is open on our WMA`s now and I would like to kill a pig but getting a line on some deer was 1st.
  I parked the truck and gathered my gear. Decided to head to the River and then Check drains running up for persimmons.
  Before I go any farther with this I`ll let you know how I scout for early deer season.I`ve already located MANY soft mast trees and now I will check as many as my feet will allow to see which ones have fruit. I`ll remember all those with enough fruit to drop and cause deer to "build" a habit to come to them. I really pay attention to those in thicker areas. When I locate a tree with lots of fruit I first decide on a stand location for two winds if possible then think my way through for the best way to get to the stand avoiding the direction I expect deer to come from.
  I try to find a lot of spots in the swamp for persimmons...my favorite and spots on the hill in case the swamp floods which will usually be crab apples or live oaks. They drop early here. As the season progresses I will find hot acorn trees as they drop then hunt funnels in the rut.
  Right now my focus is on getting ready for the month of September.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A day on public land
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
I got to the River and had to take a pic. I love being around the River. It seems to calm me in a crazy way and things really seem to slow down when I on a near a River. Crazy maybe but true. Some of you I`m sure can relate.

I eased on a around and spotted something on a sand bar. It was 9 turkeys. Kinda far away but if you look close you can see a big Gobbler..

I carried on down the ridge I was on and dropped of in the bottoms. Saw a bit of pig sign but not much and no porkers.

The sign I did see was fresh but I was more intent on covering ground than hunting pigs. I checked Dozens of persimmons with nothing promising then found a good one. It was loaded and in a place thick enough that you could not see 30 yards. It also had already began to drop and had a few deer tracks under it. It will be smoking by deer season.

Carried on and ran across this snapping feller..

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
I eased on down to a lake called the Blue hole and had to snap a pic of it. It is usually full of gators but I did`nt see one this time..

I started around a log and was headed for a ridge to follow out and spotted a bright yellow leaf on the ground. I whipped a judo out and took a shot. Hit the leaf ...all is good with the Mohawk. I took a step and heard the sound I have heard to many times this year....

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
For you snake lovers No offense but I`ll go ahead and tell ya he did`nt make it.
  After a shark bit his head I moved him and noticed he had a squirrel about 5 yards away. He had bit the squirrel in the back...never seen this before.

I eased on out after retrieving my arrow wondering if I had not stopped for a shot if I would have stepped to close to the snake. He was about a foot from where I would have stepped going forward.Brother John told me he asks God to guide his life always and his feet in the swamp. I did the same.
  I went by a couple of other nice sights

While going out on the ridge I found a spot for some high ground deer hunting as well.

All in all a day to be thankful for..RC

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Dear Lordy! you all have snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would never hunt there without the proper protection! nice pics and thanks for sharing.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Great pics and story RC. I have two persimmion trees on my place. They are loaded and should be a hot spot come October. I scout the way you do. I love to find them white oaks that look like somebody has ran a roto tiller in a circle around them. You know what I'm talking about. Always enjoy your post........Good huntin Dave
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Very nice story and pics, RC! Felt like I was tagging along!    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Very nice. It reminds me of my earlier years back in the bayou country of Louisiana... Lots of good memories.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Neat photos....like always!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Great pics again, Robert.  Man, those snakes are everywhere down there.  Glad they weren't out too much when I was down there.  That is pretty cool, that you saw the squirrel that he bit, too.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Just fantastic RC!

I've thought of you and your pictures many times when in the swamp myself......looking for mast trees!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing AGAIN.

Hows that kayak working for you Rc?

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I appreciate you checking my spots for me.  Now we can start looking for you a place to hunt.   :saywhat:
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Glad to see the Mohawk is on!!

Thanks for the journey today RC.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Hey RC! I know what you mean about the river. I have the Flint up here and it is like my church most days...I also identify with snakes in the swamp! Good luck to you sir this deer season!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I really enjoy your walks and your pics, thanks for sharing.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
I left the house early this morning to do a little scouting for the upcoming deer season. Pig killing is open on our WMA`s now and I would like to kill a pig but getting a line on some deer was 1st.
  I parked the truck and gathered my gear. Decided to head to the River and then Check drains running up for persimmons.
  Before I go any farther with this I`ll let you know how I scout for early deer season.I`ve already located MANY soft mast trees and now I will check as many as my feet will allow to see which ones have fruit. I`ll remember all those with enough fruit to drop and cause deer to "build" a habit to come to them. I really pay attention to those in thicker areas. When I locate a tree with lots of fruit I first decide on a stand location for two winds if possible then think my way through for the best way to get to the stand avoiding the direction I expect deer to come from.
  I try to find a lot of spots in the swamp for persimmons...my favorite and spots on the hill in case the swamp floods which will usually be crab apples or live oaks. They drop early here. As the season progresses I will find hot acorn trees as they drop then hunt funnels in the rut.
  Right now my focus is on getting ready for the month of September.
That's a chapter on early bow season hunting strategy, right there!      :archer2:  

I never saw or even heard about a rattlesnake with a squirrel kill.  That is pretty unique.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
As usual great pics and story.  Thanks for the walk!

Eric

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Enjoyed it, although I dont know if I could get used to all those close encounters with those snakes. Thanks for the early season hunt tips.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
RC -
Thanks for taking us with you. Pretty country where you live my friend.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©