3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows that surprise the dickens out of you!  (Read 438 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bows that surprise the dickens out of you!
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Some time ago I purchased a Martin ML-14 longbow at a steal price, 77@28 for a workout bow on the way up to my 80 lb goal, but now that im getting comfortable with it, its turning out to be far more than just a workout bow, its for sure gonna see some field action this yr.
This thing hits like a hammer and shoots where Im looking,and for me thats as good as it gets, no matter the price or name.
Any of you ever bought or traded for a bow ( with mixed expectations) that surprised you beyond your expectations?

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows that surprise the dickens out of you!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I always had problems with a high-wrist grip until I shot a Kodiak Hunter. That thing shot better than me every time. I ended up giving it to a buddy who was about to blow up his Gramp's old bow, he plans on killing a mule deer buck with it this year.

I'll be keeping an eye out for another one...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
The plan was to start loosing arrows out of a bow ten pounds lighter than my hunting weight after turkey season in order to more easily focus on form. My objective here was specifically form focused with a forgiving design and specs as prerequisites. The newly designed Orion riser along with new ACS RC limbs was selected for the task.

Over-all Experience: Was totally taken by surprise…All expectations were either met or exceeded. My previous concerns were with the grip, shootability, and actual speed. The results far exceeded my expectations. This particular bow has actually driven me to revisit and re-evaluate my expectations. The bar has been raised to previously unchartered heights.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
My sunset hill, once I got it from nate and shot it was like WOW!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I traded for a Jerry Hill longbow. That bow was a real sweetheart to shoot and had a great feel to it. Like a dummy I sold it because I had to have something I thought was better. I have since dropped in poundage or I would have bought it back! And I did have a chance to get it back......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I have been shooting a Schafer Silvertip and went out and bought a cheap bow. A ILF Hoyt Excel with TT limbs, the bow is a shooter. I can't believe how well it shoots. For a $324.00 bow it can't be beat.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
1960 Bear Grizzly. What a breath of fresh air compared to some of the noisy modern "high performance" recurves. I'm surprised more folks are copying these designs.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Bear Tigercat surprized the dickens out of me!

><>>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Agree with JCJ and Igor about old designs tuned an old 60" Ben Pearson colt that was gave to me,rough shape 0000 steel wool, urethane and a new string.I bareshafted it yesterday evening and to my suprise it was about the easiest tuning job I ever done, quiet sweet shooting bow that I'm sure will make one of my kids or someone else a good bow not only as an intro. bow but one  to hunt with, as I think it's important to have an easy shooting design to hook em!!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
A Brown Recluse,  It shot smooth, but hard.  Much better mannered than I had heard.  I think I need to get another.   :bigsmyl:

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
Every Hill bow I shoot. The way they cast heavy arrows amazes me. To get that kind of performance out of a straight limbed longbow is phenominal.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 03:15:00 AM »
I had a Bear T/D Hunter 55#, it was just a plain nice compact, light good shooting bow.  I bought it new in 89 and took several deer with it but as happens I got married, started a family and I ended up selling it.  Compared to what I shoot now it was nothing fancy but it was just a good practical bow and the funny thing is I haven't seen but a couple for sale since.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 03:48:00 AM »
My Bezaleel Cougar TD recurve.
I´ve had 3 recurves, didnt need one more. Bought the Bezaleel bow out of curiosity and recommendation from a dude.
Now that bow is the only one I shoot (except some ILF stuff), cuz it is simply perfect to me.
Its the best bolt down recurve to me.
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
I bought a used Fedora 560 Hunter recurve when I saw the shape it was in ( basically brand new) and the price ( incredibly low).  After some initial tweaking at Denton Hill this past July, the bow shoots amazingly well!  I almost sold it because I didn't use it.  I would have regretted that!  ~Steve

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
The Bear Grizzly is a very underated bow in my opinion.  Good grip and solid performer.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by joekeith:
A Brown Recluse,
Same here,but for different reason. My buddy bought one when they first came out. We heard great stuff about them. He bought one first and when I shot it,he said "What do you think?" My answer was, "I'm glad YOU bought it!" All that hype and man was it a let down.He thought the same.
Everybody is different though and I'm sure plenty of guys love them.

A good suprise was an old Martin ML-10. I bought it all beat up for around $40 years ago. Heard they were junk,tons of handshock,etc. I messed with the brace height and arrow spines and weights. Dang thing turned out to be a pretty sweet shooter for me.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Hoyt Buffalo...
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Bought a Titan because it is bulletproof - no exotic woods to mess up hunting. Usually like a big grip and good looking wood bows.
That bow shoots more accurately in my hands than any other bow on the rack. Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
My new to me Thunderhorn surprised me. To look at a 58" long bow with a tiny little riser your first thought is this thing will draw like a 2x4 and be very unstable. Well that ain't the case! Very smooth, stable and accurate.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
The bow that surprised me the most is the Bamboo Hill kit bow I got from Mike Yancey, the bow may not be the prettiest one I own but for what I paid and the effort I put in making it, she shoots as well as any other bow I have.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©