3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows that surprise the dickens out of you!  (Read 445 times)

Offline gobbler716

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows that surprise the dickens out of you!
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Anyone have experience with any PSE recurves or longbows?
To err is human, so keep practicing!

Offline gobbler716

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I bought a near perfect Kodiak 55# on ****, I cannot wait to take this on a hike in October.  Must practice more and more.
To err is human, so keep practicing!

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Martin Hunter
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
My first Hill bow. I wanted one largely because it is so highly regarded as the classic example of a truly "traditional" longbow (whatever that means). However, when I got it I loved it immediately and had no trouble adapting to it. Now I own 5 Hills and seldom shoot anything else.
Sam

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bernie B.:
Boy, this is a timely thread for me!  My son gave me a '69 Bear Super Kodiak (45#) for Father's Day this year - great gift!  

I hadn't shot a Bear bow since I sold my Bear Grizzly in 1970.  I sent my "new" bow to John Rafferty at The Bow Hospital to get it refinished.

I just picked it up at the post office two days ago and wow am I pleasantly surprised!  I love the grip on the bow and it's absolutely dead in the hand.  I love shooting this bow!  It's going with me to the deer woods this fall.

Bernie
In a recent trade I had the chance to shoot an early 50's 66" dual shelf bear kodiak, a '59 kodiak, and a '69 Super kodiak. I went home with the '69 because of its shoot-ability and looks. BUT that dualshelf was the smoothest bow I have ever shot.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Green Mountain longbow.....very smooth, plenty quick, extremely quiet, and it shoots very accurately for me.

I am very impressed with this bow and I'm a dyed in the wool recurve shooter.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »
My old 45# Super Kodiak. My Dad bought it in the early 70's. Every time I shoot it I wonder why the heck I don't use it more.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by JCJ:
1960 Bear Grizzly. What a breath of fresh air compared to some of the noisy modern "high performance" recurves. I'm surprised more folks are copying these designs.
I agree with you. I've got a B.W. but I can't get over how well my '69 Super K. shoots. It's also whisper quiet even with the old "noisey" spring arm quiver. It's not as fast as some of the new bows out there but, then again niether am I.   :biglaugh:   I am headed to the woods this year vintage style complete with some original Bear cedar arrows.

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
My Groves Spitfire and new Fedora.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
No surprize with my A&H's they are all what they say they are. My custom Gerlock is right there with them.
  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Centaur, never shot anything else to compare

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:00 AM »
A 64" Ben Pearson Colt that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago.  Only 45# draw and I wasn't expecting much when I first shot it.  Well you can certainly say it surprised the dickens out of me!

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
I just put my 72# limbs on my Wallace Stealth and it blew me away.  I hadn't shot them since I got since I already have a Brack with 72# limbs but this one smokes.  I could tell from the first shot I was going to be hunting with it this season.  It's a smooth shooting tack driver and its 14fps faster than the Brack at 195fps.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
ive been shootin bows for about 11 years now and have tried almost all top grade bows. I kept reading on here how great of shooters the old super kodiaks are. well i shelled out 400.00 bucks on a 69 and was blown away of not only how well they shoot but how stable and quiet they are. i have to say its one of the best designs of bows ive ever shot.ill be huntin with a 43 year old bow this season and lovin it.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
My 58 inch, 48@28 Howard Hill Badger. Bought this bow on a whim. Shot it was couldn't beleive how well it shot for such a small bow.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Mike Taylor2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Just received my String Follow, Hill Style longbow from 7 Lakes.  A SF Carolina Night I believe it's called. I've never shot a Hill Style bow and was expecting a thumping / slow bow.  Man was I surprised.  Maybe not quite as fast as my other Reflex/deflex bows but it's much more accurate.

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
my two tracks ambush recurve 60lb@28. I haven't shot an enourmous amount of bows but I can't imagine one faster than this!
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I was visiting a friend in SC who owns 2 Hummingbird Recurves.  They are heavier bows with one at 68# 30".  I'd been shooting 50#. I couldn't believe how smoothly it drew back, and threw a massive 2419 arrow around 700g into the foam target so hard I had to use 2 hands to pull it out! Apparently the bowyer lives an hour from, so it would appear I'll be making a personal visit and shelling out some $$$ in the future!  

I am also a big fan of Bamabows. They are light, stable, shoot where I'm looking, and whisper quiet.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
My first surprise was the first time I pulled a static recurve . The second was the first string follow I built/. I expected it to be so so in the performance dept. Instead . well lets say its a lot more bow than I expecterd it to be4.

God bless, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©