3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ridgid 14" Bandsaw  (Read 143 times)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Ridgid 14" Bandsaw
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I have the option to buy a 14" Ridgid bandsaw at a very good price to replace the "toy" bandsaw I have. If anyone has this saw I would like to hear their thougts and opinions.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ridgid 14" Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Depending what you are using it for and how much. It is under power for re-saw. The blade that comes with the saw is not a good one at all. And for some odd reason(s) some saws vibrate more than others and no amount of adjustment wil eliminate the vibration. I would test it first. My two cents.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
I had one made about 10 years ago, absolute junk. There was a manufacturing flaw that prevented the wheels from aligning so the blade tracked like a drunken sailor.

Two trips to warranty repair didn't fix it so Rigid sent me a new rebuilt band saw.

I was so fed up with fooling with the saw I never opened the box when it arrived and shipped it to my brother. When he opened the box he found it only contained about 2/3rds necessary parts to make an operating saw.

Rigid will make up any parts, no questions asked, but the gals that answered the phone didn't know a motor from a blade guide and seldom sent the right part.

He finally got the saw running after a year of scavenging parts.

I understand Rigid dropped the manufacturer that made my saw and makes a pretty good saw now with a life time warranty.

I would want to cut with the saw you are looking to buy and see how it performs before you buy it.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks Eric and Tripper............

This saw is in new condition with the original blade for half price. I will check it out tomorrow and see if it viberates and is quite.

Thanks again

James
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Well, I know more about woodworking than Traditional Archery and I would tell you to pass on that saw unless the price is really right.

I have experience with the era that Eric is talking of and the more modern ones.  The newer ones are better but not by much.  

The only good advice I can give is to get an older Made in the USA Delta or a newer Jet or Grizzly 14" unit.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »
I don't know about all the problems others are having but I bought a used one last year (tried it out first) and it works great.  First thing to do is to put a 3/4' wide blade on it and make sure you have it adjusted right and it is a cutting machine.  I use it to rip oak, osage, walnut and other woods.  The price was right and I'm a happy camper.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
I bought the bandsaw and after tightening all the bolts, setting the blade tracking and tentioning the drive belt it runs fine and cuts good. Thanks guys for all the input, it was a big help

James

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©