3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Purpose of backing???  (Read 149 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Purpose of backing???
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I have just about finished up building my first bow. It is a red oak 68" 46# @28". Man I had a lot of fun building it and can't wait to get started on another one. I have went and bought a drill press and put a sanding wheel and and picked up a nice band saw today.  So I am ready.  My question is on backing. What exactly is the reason for backing. I have shot the bow maybe 100 shots now with no backing. But I do not want to ruin it if I really need it on there. So please explain its need and what is the material of choice to be functional and look good.  Thanks

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Purpose of backing???
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Probably should have posted on bowyers bench section. I will move it there please delete. Sorry.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Acollins,,backing is usually used to help keep splinters from lifting on some types of bows from the grain being cut into like a boardbow and some types of staves.Some almost demand it and others seldom need it.Common backing would be rawhide, hide glue and sinue and snake skins.Snake skins and rawhide dont increase the poundage but sinue can.

Offline pznuts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
You should get Paul Comstock's The Bent Stick.It's reasonable and is a wealth of knowledge. Was it a board bow or did you follow a ring?

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
Board

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©