3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Silencer Issues  (Read 344 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
String Silencer Issues
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Why is it that I cant get my wool silencers to look neat and clean? Mine look like a crackhead on a bad hair day. Am I not using enough material? Ive been splitting the string and putting 12 strands of wool in between. They seem to work fine but look tacky. Any tips on getting nice, fluffy silencers?

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Silencer Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I wrap the wool around 3 of my fingers, # of wraps vary. Then insert that through the strings. Then just slide a pair of sharp scissors into all the loops on one side and cut them all at once, then the other side. Makes for a nice even ball.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Issy,  I just started using wool and followed the How I silence a bow string in the how to resourses by apex preadtor!
  I take and wrap about 12 wraps around all four fingers(side by side) spread out! incert into the split string and trim off 3/8s of a inch off each side!  I don't want a ball- but more like if i was using beaver fur- gives a longer puff!  Shoot the bow a few times and it should be all puffed out! you can trim any extra like giving a hair cut if needed!!
Hope this helps!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Izzy, on all my silencers(fur,wool,and rubber) I serve to small like nock points 1/16 th apart on the string, and then place the silencer material around the string parallel to the string with the center of the material in the center of the served points. Then I hold the material in the center of the points and serve over it so it cinches the material into the center of the served points. This will expand the material away from the string in a nice puff ball.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
My bowhush puffs look nice.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
I had my wife get me some wool yarn at hobby lobby and I have two wood pegs that are on my string board that are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches apart. I wrap the strand around the pegs tight 15 times then  I take some of my serving material and tie in the middle, then I pull the pegs out and you got yourself a littl puff. I then separate and put in between the two bundles in my string and then string the bow. Grab some scissors and cut the middle of the puffs, they will kinda look like a figure 8. And when you go out and shoot they will puff out and you have a little ball of wool on your strings that work just as well as anything that I've used.
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
I do it just like mountain lion stated above.  I get a better ball for me using only ten turns 2" long.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
A lot depends on the yarn you are using. Go to a yarn store and ask for a good "felting" wool yarn. I have used some yarns in the past that were too "slick".

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
izzy cant believe you where hunting with terry and didn't get his advice on this or a least order some bow hush from him.,they are the best,missed you at the muzzy

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Izzy, I'll send you a p.m. for a really nice clean round ball when you are done...
                                Keefer's <><

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
I make my own from wool/acrylic yarn.  I made a jig from a coat hanger and it makes a perfectly round 2 inch puffball.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Funny Reaper I just sent him a p.m. about the coat hanger jig with some instuctions...I tried to explain the coat hanger jig and where to cut it from the sleeve ends...Best tool I found yet..

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Kevin, Ive got some Bowhush strings with great, little, puffy balls but I didnt do em myself. The ones Ive done myself, silence my bow but they never come out right. I think Im onto something now though fellas, Ive doubled my amount of yarn. So far so good. Thanks for the PM Keefer.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Izz, put them in,shoot them for about 50 arrows,take some scissors and trim them up. Will look real pretty.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Keefer.....brilliant minds must think alike!    :laughing:
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I make my wool yarn silencers by wrapping the yarn around a (the shortest length) credit card. About 9 or 10 turns. This is how I get my loops.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Didn't read the other replies, but I will tell you what I do.  I take wool yarn and wrap 20 wraps around 4 fingers of one hand. The wool I am using is fairly thin, so if you have thicker yarn you can get away using less turns. Then I take a piece of serving and wrap it tight around the middle, making like a figure eight of the wool.  I put a drop of superglue on the knot to keep it tight together and when dry trim the ends.  I put it between the strings where I want it and trim the ends so there is around and inch sticking out either side.  You can go a little shorter, but if you go too short it is hard to keep it centered.  Do the other end the same way, making sure that there are no loops that haven't been cut at the end.  Go shoot some arrows and it will come out looking like a ball.  If it is too big you can trim it some.  I like the serving in the middle because you can move the wool puff a little bit to adjust the exact location without it all coming apart.  Good luck.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
I make my wool yarn silencers by wrapping the yarn around a (the shortest length) credit card. About 9 or 10 turns. This is how I get my loops.
This works for me....then trim after shooting to make them nice and even! But it's also not a fashion show.....if they work .....so be it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Keefer- can I get that PM too?... Thanx

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
For me wool fluffs better than acrylic.
After they have been installed you can kinda pick brush them, by holding the strands on one side of the string and picking at the other side with a dog grooming brush, to seperate the strands and fuzz them a bit. Your wife's basic hair brush works fairly well too. Then go shoot a little while, then you can shape them up, to your liking, with scissors. The amount of picking and shaping depends on how anal you care to be.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©