3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Human Urine - Mock Scrapes - Study  (Read 730 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Human Urine - Mock Scrapes - Study
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
I'm headed to the nursing home and collect all the Depends I can! Watch out Pope and Young!    :D  
:biglaugh:

Just hang them from trees like scent wicks.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Owlbait, not a bad idea. Hang a rag soaked with human urine from a tree limb over a mock scrape and let the wind carry the scent.I'm gonna try that and see what happens.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
That "mature" scent from the "home" should bring in bigger bucks, eh?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I never thought about the female better half cooperating on this one?
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Aye!   JoeKeith, is this your idea of getting women into the sport of hunting?    :biglaugh:

Just kidding...no harm was intended!!! Its just this post really made me laugh!

JL    :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
I pee on coyote scratches and they get rehit. Have one right now Im after that scratches over my tracks.They don't care where it came from its just another trespasser. We make animals way smater than they are. And my sucses with deer proves they are way smarter than me.  :banghead:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
I have been peeing for ever off stands and in scrapes as well and they tear things up. I peed on does and they just watched me and turned and licked it so yes its an old wives tail been saying for years myself.

I actually think my pee is a big time attractant because of the sugar in my urine spilling over.

Also same with blood I found I cut myself and was leaking all down the tree and the does walked right in and licked the tree and looked up they didn't see me I didn't move.

What the deer supposidly can tell is the fat content I have read thats how they deterime dominance I also read. That would mean I must me the dominent Buck because again I have to have a lot of fat content also.

I won't dump unless I have to get out of the tree or blind and go away from where I am positioned.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by joekeith:
I don't believe it bothers them at all.  You want some action, have your favorite female pee in a jar that time of the month.  That makes a difference.

:bigsmyl:  
That will definitely attract more bears and cougars.   :thumbsup:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
Keith some practices could be detrimental to marriages...lol

I know someone(un-named) who used to get his wife to freeze her used feminine products then just as the rut was beginning to start would thaw then hang them about deer nose level.

That seemed to draw curious critters of several kinds including deer.

I know for a fact that the man was threatened by the wife about what would happen if he ever "let the cat" that she had anything to do with said feminine goods....lol

I sometimes marvel at the lengths some hunters will go to.....in the name of research and for a successful hunt...lol

God bless,Mudd

PS: If asked "any" questions about this, I will flash my divorce papers and plead the 5th...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
Keith, my own experiments in that vein yielded no positive results. But again, that might be an old wife's tale.      :saywhat:  

There is no blood associated with cervid estrous urine.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:

Originally posted by Brazos:
 Briefly, I have on several occasions poured a bottle of fresh urine out with large groups (10-20) of deer 150-200 yards away with an ever so slight breeze to carry the scent of the urine to them.  Once I poured the urine out there was a 15-20 second delay and all the deer happily feeding w/o a care in the world would all look up in my general direction very concerned and w/I seconds would all leave the area in a quick orderly fashion (no flagging of the tail or snorting).  So don't kid yourself if you think deer don't mind the smell of human urine.  
I respect your observation. However, it may be an incorrect perception. You stated that you poured urine out 150 yards away from a group of deer with the wind BLOWING TOWARD THE DEER to carry the scent.

Your observation is that it is the smell of the URINE that scared the deer.

I would perceive that it was the smell of YOU downwind of an entire herd of deer that got you busted.

I would be more inclined to trust the observations of a study where only the human urine vs. synthetic/deer urine was used vs. having a human variable present, such as in your case.

I won't disagree that standing 150 yards away from a herd of deer with wind blowing toward them is going to scare them away.

Try it with a cup of water next time and see what happens...

Just a thought...        :)  [/b]
I was thinking the same thing. If the deer can smell the pee because the wind in blowing toward them. They can smell you standing there pouring the urine with the wind blowing your scent toward them at the same time.

God bless,
Charlie

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
X2 what USN Sam1385 said.

Kris

Offline killer_chicken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
X3, as USN_Sam1385 said, try the same with a glass of water for a control.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone advocates depositing such a strong human scent in a scrape or area where one hopes to find a deer. We work so hard to put stands in the proper places and to leave as little odor as possible in order to defeat the deer's first line of defense (his nose) and then to contradict all this effort by deliberately urinating in the very area where you want the deer to appear for a shot---makes no sense to me at all.  

I take a plastic jug which I painted in camo fashion about three or 4 years ago now---weighs maybe a couple of ounces or so, and is absolutely no trouble to tote along.  I have never seen a big buck do anything even remotely foolish like rushing up in reponse to human scents of any kind so I try not to leave any behind.  However, do what makes you happy and good luck to you.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
PENN STATE    did a research study about 10 years ago and  found deer could NOT  tell the differences between urine species.  Numerous   types of urine from several species, predators included,  AND HUMAN were used. The deer recognized them as urine ( how the hell they did that i'm not sure ) but could not tell the difference !
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
LOL, well I will certainly not claim to be an expert on the subject. I actually killed a nice 7 point white tail one time while I was peeing. The buck walked within 15 yards of me while I was in mid stream. Managed to get the flow shut down and then did not bother trying to put things away before shooting the deer. I dont think it bothers them at all.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
Ha!
I think you bothered that buck a little!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I often pee down my legs while on the stand.
This way no other hunters take my spot:)
Slickhead

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
I wonder how they would react to cougar or wolf urine? I still say human urine MAY be useful but a lot depends on diet, medication, and health.I will continue to make my lures from combinations of scents, with DEER urine being the base for those scents.
I dont know about wolof urine but I once watched a coyote take a pee and within 15 minutes a doe came along stuck her nose in the coyote pee and then began trailing the coyote . It sure wasnt alarmed !

That was about 30 years ago and I have been experimenting with human urine ever since . I dont believe a deer knows the difference between any urine . To a deer urine is urine .

BTW ............ I also dont believe all the urine sold as deer urine is really deer urine .
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
Wonder what the people who read this stuff 1000 years from now will think about us

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©