3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sasquatch sighting in NY !  (Read 567 times)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sasquatch sighting in NY !
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Very nice!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
yep, satin finish..when I'd first talked to Kirk, he said that his 58" bow would give me the most speed,and the 60" would have a little sweeter draw. At first I told him I wanted the 58", but after thinking about it for a bit..I know I shoot a 60" a little better so that's what we went with.

Now on to how it shoots, bow is very dead in the hand, no percievable vibration at the shot at all..I like that. Kirk speaks of his bows being fast, and this one is no exception, I've shot and owned a ton of bows, and this one is right up there with the fastest of them. Stable? yep.

Now about the limbs, some bows with foam and carbon have more of a "tink" sound than a "thunk" and these limbs are no exception, I've got it quieted down pretty well, but still getting a little bit of a tink sound, at first I thought it was coming from the limb tips (the string does lay on the belly of the limbs for about an inch or so), but afterr playing around with brace heigth and silencer placement I think the sound that's left is coming from between the limb butts and the riser. I'm going to check with Kirk and see if it's ok to put a thin piece of cork between the butts and the riser, I'm convinced that this will reduce the sound to a mere thunk.

ended up with 400 easton axis 29.5"bop with 225 grain tips, total arrow eight with fletching and wraps is 535 grains and it is really spitting them. lazer beam flight, got em tiped with centaur big game heads, no doubt in my mind they will blow through a whitetail in the blink of an eye.

over all I'm pretty impressed with the bow, one of the fastest I've owned or shot without loosing any stability.

one last think, Kirk says he builds these to a persons draw..which isn't really all that common, and I believe it's true, I pulled it back to 28" and you can feel the weight start to build..so it's nice to know I'm getting all the bow has to give at my 27" draw.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Good stuff buddy!   :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Is XXX how many years you have to extend your mortgage to pay for it, or how many hunting seasons you have to wait for it?   :bigsmyl:   Looking forward to more pics. Must be hard for Kirk to build stock bows when all that time goes into the custom fit and grip.   :thumbsup:  
Not really, Owlbait... Just check out Kirk's Upgrade page:  I'm not sure so an email would be required, but I think...THINK his wait time is around 6 months now...not bad for truly CUSTOM work!

Big Foot Bows - Upgrade Price List

Carbon backing:
*single X = $100,
*double XX = $200,
*triple XXX = $250

*Foam cores: $100

G-10 I-beam: $75
Wood I-beam: $50

There are a lot more "upgrades" so you can build a dream bow to suit your own budget...or to match however many recycle cans you can haul on your bicycle at 2am before folks catch you stealing from their recycle bins like I did!

Larry,

I saw pics of yours lying by mine during the final stages... them snakes came out nice...but I don't much like snakes for real. Figure I lay that down, I'd turn around, see it and jump & scream like a girl and run away w/out my bow!

Glad yours  got their Sat! Kirk and I figure both routed thru NY and the whistle blew and mine didn't make the truck to PA...hopefully today!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ms greenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Oh guys give it a couple months and he will be tradeing it off for a widow

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Sweet looking bow! Kirk does beautiful work!
James Kerr

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Wow Larry.  Very nice!!  Getting great performance at a lower weight and draw length takes a skilled bowyer.  Gonna have to try my one of them Bigfoot bows some day soon.

:thumbsup:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by ms greenhead:
Oh guys give it a couple months and he will be trading it off for a widow
I have a customer that was a serious Black widow fan for many many years that sold them all.... He just ordered his 6th Big Foot yesterday.....

Not to be bad mouthing Black Widow at all. They do have some pretty cool risers. I'd definitely take one in on a trade sometime. I'd love to put a set of my own limbs on one sometime.

I don't know how i missed your thread Larry, but i did.   :rolleyes:

I was explaining to a few guys at Denton Hill about the advantages of having a draw length specific bow built for them. The guys with shorter draw lengths as well as the longer draw shooters benefit from this most. You get your maximum performance having that bow start stacking about an inch past your draw length.

The down side is that the short draw shooters have a responsibility to make sure that bow doesn't exceed the maximum draw limits, and if they decide to sell the bow later, to point this out to the buyer.

Here's a couple photos showing the satin finish reflection. Getting that black Wenge grain filled is much easier said than done too.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Kirk was telling me about the draw specific aspect of his bows...and stories.

Reminded me of my self bow friends whom I also admire...the first thing before they hand you their bow is to ask what your draw might be...if it's longer than they built their bow to take...you don't get to TOUCH their bow...!

I'm sure people will get ticked thinking that any glass bow can be pulled to whatever length...but when it's built specifically for short, then over flexing it will lead to problems down the road...don't let them do it, Larry!

Mine is set for 28.5...sometimes, when age allows, I can pull 29"...but that 1" fudge factor allows some leeway, just not a lot.

You don't want to let me pull YOUR bow... But I'll let you pull mine...you just won't get the horses outa mine at your draw.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Doc, I shot Kirks bow at denton, not sure what his draw length is, but he said his would be right around the weight I was looking for at my 27" draw...all I can say is his is a dog at 27" compared to mine at 27"...hehehe

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Larry,  is your SAS consider a recurve or is it his hybrid of a longbow?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
hybrid, although I think if I was to shoot it in certain 3d shoots I'd have to shoot in recurve because the string does touch the limb for about an inch or so

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Kirk explained to me that with his hybrid, it depends on brace height if the string touches or not... but he told me he works with each bow he builds, shoots a passel of arrows thru each one, determines what brace works best for that bow/set of limbs and shares that...

Mine came with a recommended brace height... there is a sweet spot that he finds for each customer so as not to leave anything in the bow on the table but not to compromise performance for looks.

I will never shoot a competition course in my life so the only "class" would be what my Momma beat into me as a kid..and with the new designs being built today, the difference in long bow vs. recurve has been left in the dust...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Bows are very nice.  I shot several at Denton Hill this year.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by larry:
Doc, I shot Kirks bow at denton, not sure what his draw length is, but he said his would be right around the weight I was looking for at my 27" draw...all I can say is his is a dog at 27" compared to mine at 27"...hehehe
Well larry all i gotta say is that the difference between your XXX carbon-foam core limbs, and my XX carbon with bubinga veneers alone is going to make a substantial difference. That and even though our bows are the same length, I've got the working portion of the limb a good inch longer on mine so i can draw a full 30" before she starts stacking..... but that extra 2" of power stroke makes up for it bro...Nothing that leaves my shop needs flea powder bro...

That's why i recommended the XX carbon for Dave instead of XXX. He draws 28.5-29" himself and doesn't need that short powerful working limb we have built into yours.

It's amazing what you can do to the same length , same profile limb by manipulating power wedges and taper rates alone. But the carbon is really nice for guys with a shorter draw length.

I was pleased with the numbers we got out of yours. That one is going to be a tough one to beat at a 26-27" draw.    :readit:  

Here's a couple photos of yours on the tiller tree showing the brace and full draw. Those limb tips are not traveling very far at all.

Kirk

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Looks like about three inches. That says fasttttttttttttttt to me./ Sotry about the stuttering LOL.
I think you have a lot of limb working there and using just about every bit of the energy very quickly and efficiently;.
God bless, Steve

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
eh, Kirk, you do know I was just foolin'...I knew you had a couple inches on me in draw length, my point was that building them draw length specific really makes a difference  :thumbsup:

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
geesh, I'm a little slow and tired tonight...just got it, flea powder   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
3 pages and no Killdeer comments on a new bow for Larry. Got to be some kind of a record.

That bow is drop dead beautiful!!!!! Good luck with it!!!

Lee  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
aw Lee, she's probably to busy sharpening broadheads or fletching some arrows for her next great adventure

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©