3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How big is this Wisconsin bear.....new pictures  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: How big is this Wisconsin bear.....new pictures
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Very difficult to judge.  The first pix is a close up, compared to the pix with the person in it, and the person is rather bent over/slouched rather than stretched out.  The bear's structure doesn't appear an immature/small animal, but pix can be deceiving.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I am thinking that the bear is not a long one, some just don't stretch as long.  Mine from 2010 was like that.  Massive in the front,  not as much in the butt, but not terribly long.  This one looks thicker than mine did (belly, especially stretched up like that) and his dressed weight was 250 with an estimated (by taxidermist) live weight around 320 ish.  I am guessing that this bear is a bit heavier than mine was.
ChuckC

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Bears are rarely as big as you think they are.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »

Here are some updated pictures of the bear you guys helped me guess the weight on...again thanks for your input.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
I still think you are under 200# on that guy...big ears, small head, lots of light between the belly and the ground.

It does look like he has been eating well!  You putting kegs of beer out there too?

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
The crease in his forehead makes him a mature bear. The broadside shot shows a deep, muscular chest. He's a good one, I think. I'de shoot him without giving it a second thought. As to weight...well, he may just be bigger than I think. Could make 300# is just a guess. Still...they fool you...big time. It will be interesting to see what he weighs if you can get him. Good luck. He's worth spending some time pursuing.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
I think he is a shooter.  I won't guess a weight, I have no experience, but I would sure ground check him.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Personally only ever killed one and he was small at 225 - have seen many one the scales anywhere from 100 to 640 (NC blackies run big!)

No way to judge that one without reference though he has a good belly/chest on him even being stretched out as he is.

No clue on how big but I would not waste a second trying to get a shot on him!! Bear is good eating!

Chief
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
JimB gives good info for sure. Been out of the bear game for a little while but I know this, That bear will be a chore to pack out. He is pretty large.
Please do us all a big favor and PM JimB and find out what measurments to take so we can all learn more. With all of his experience, I bet he is close. But cameras are funny to judge by.
 And please put the bear on a scale.
When do you hunt?
Good luck,

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
I would bet 300+

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
That pix gives better perspective than the first I think.  He's bigger than I initially thought. I'd drop the string on it.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
You cant always go by the ears Ive shot 20+ inch bears that had little stubs for ears and others that thier ears stuck up like this one. Its a big bear and he's there in the daylight Id try for him. Maybe its like deer they are usually bigger than they appear on the trail cam . No way to judge the weight till its on a scale ....Tim

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
There's one way to find out for sure.
Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
It's nice to see more pictures.The one picture shows the muzzle well.The muzzle is very thick and that only comes with age.A young bear can't have a blocky muzzle.We can now see the height of the bear on all fours.His back is very close to the height of the young man's belt.That's tall.

If I were hunting that spot,I would give that bear a lot of respect.I would expect him to be very alert,like any mature big game animal.I've only been within bow range of two bears app. that size and they are very hard to draw back on.They may not see as well as some animals but they can sure pick up movement.It's great that he is coming in daylight.One little mistake and he could go nocturnal.

The more I see of that bear the more I think my guess may be conservative.I wish you the best of luck and hope you keep us posted.When does your hunt start? Are there any other bears coming in?

Here is a chart that helps estimate a bear's weight,based on measurement.Body length is taken to the tip of the tail and the circumference is around the chest.

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
I think you can find out if you throw in a 300# scale and check when you shoot him. They can be decieving, just get Vig to post a pic of the  400 pounder that he took last year for you. His Dad, Grizz
mike

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Wouldn't have dared guess,that is until you showed the comparison pic. If that ground is somewhat level,I'd say Bear must be 5.5 to 6 ft. tall, well filled out = 330 to 370   Tough to judge Bears
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Pretty amazing how vast the difference is in all these guesses.
I assume all guessing have at least some experience hunting and seeing multiple bears, which makes it all the more interesting at how far apart the guesses are.
I downed my biggest bear in Alberta. We weighed it with a come-a-long and a 500# scale from a tree.
When I show pictures of me and the bear I get guesses of 200 to 500 pounds.  Pretty crazy.
My buddy's first bear was a 165# blackie that everyone in camp guessed at 225-250. It had SUPER long fur, but when skinned out it looked dog like as shown in the pics above.
David M. Conroy

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I'm still sticking in that 275-300 pound range.  If I am wrong it is going to be low.  He is so filed out it makes his length decieving, which means he is quite possibly heavier.  I have seen a lot of dead ones and killed them myself, and the one thing for sure most over estimate weight on bears.  And most of that is due to dimension differences.  As Jim's chart shows, weight will vary greatly on healthy bears with length differences.  Good luck and God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
This is fascinating.  I hope you get him!

Can you measure some of those logs laying on the ground and put a blaze on a couple of the trees 36" high?

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
Stopped in Hesperia at the sport shop today. The owner has a Michigan black bear full mount, that field dressed over 400#. The mount came out  slightly smaller than "life-size". Sure looks real comparable to this one.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©