3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool silencers is longer better?  (Read 194 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool silencers is longer better?
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
I normally use cat  :scared:  40  :banghead:  slowed the bow down arrows started to shoot stiff(bare shaft) and tryed to trim the weight but lost the silence) Is it better to have 15-20 wraps at 2 1/2-3 or 30+ at 1 1/2-2 same weight but more to wiggle.  :biglaugh:    :deadhorse:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool silencers is longer better?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
I use a wool/acrylic yarn called Wool Ease Thick and Quick.  It's what Apex Predator uses in his tutorial in the how to section here on Tradgang. It's a really thick yarn, 6 ozs, whatever that means. The right yarn is the key. I've found that 8-10 loose wraps on a 2 inch jig I made from a coat hanger works great. I also make 1 1/2 inch diameter too. PM me if you want to try them, I'll send you some to try out.  :thumbsup:   I have plenty of brown and black, a few green and red.

I have pics, but can only send to your email.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Honestly, I am convinced that silencer placement on the string is more important than material (although wool is probably my favorite).

The vibrations travel down the string in an S (or causes the string to take that shape). Trying to put a silencer at the high point and the low point usually do it for me. Rarely are the space EXACTLY equal from the ends.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
On my blacktail and stalker I found an even spacing worked, But on my dal dye I'm finding that lower limb 16 from tip and 71/2 froum upper tip works the best   :dunno:  strang as it seems>>>-->
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
I use 25 wraps around my first three fingers and after shooting them fuzzy I trim them by repeatedly pressing in two pieces of round cardboard traced with a beer can. So mine are beer can sized.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
I haven't found a big difference in size either.  I agree that placement is key as well as wrapping the ends of the string where it slaps the limb.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
I make my own and leave them a bit longer. Maybe too long since they also serve as a wind indicator at times!

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
I dont leave them too long.But use many strands for a thicker ball.Ater installing the high count wool strands I trim them with scizzors for a nice rounded thicker appearance.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
what roger said.
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I make my own silencers with 100% wool yarn.  Regardless of string size,  Ill take 30 pieces of yarn 2 inches long.  Tie them together in the middle with a piece of B50, install them into the string.  One time,  i left the yarn a little long...Id say it was about 3 or 3.5 inches.   When you shot the bow,  you would get a "thwap" type noise!  The yarns were too long! I trimmed them back so that the circumference of the puffed out yarn ball in the string was about 2 inches.  No more "thwap",  DEAD QUIET!  My 2 cents and experiment results   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©