3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I should have shot the little one  (Read 293 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
I should have shot the little one
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Open morning of Utahs deer and elk hunt found me in a tree stand waiting on a bacholer herd of bucks. I had seen a good herd of 12 bucks running up a fence line to bed. There was 8 good 4x4 bucks and one real big daddy pushing that magical 30" mark. After a long wait for first light I spotted two bucks coming up the fence line. One was a good 24" 4x4 and another 4x5 that was few inches wider and taller. They were doing what I was hoping and were headed right for me. Before I new it I had the smaller of the two feeding 15 yards to my left with his head behind a small quakie. I passed on the shot hoping the bigger one would follow. Now the bigger one was still out of range following the smaller 4x4. Then he jumped the fence and started coming in strait at me until he was about 10 yards away. Thats when he got my scent and in a flash he was gone with all my dreams. That is a classic moneuver for me. I always screw it up when waiting on a good buck hoping to bag the bigger one and then come up empty handed. I had a few shots on some 2x2's and spikes but didn't want to end the hunt yet. Maybe I screwed it up again and will not get another shot oppertunity.  :deadhorse:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I should have shot the little one
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Wensel boys would be proud of your restraint...

And it ain't greed if it's  your goal!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
That is why god designed us with our feet pointing forward. That way it does not hurt so bad when you kick yourself!! There will be more opportunities for you. It sounds like you have good patience so you will be rewarded. Good luck..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
If your loking for sympathy, not going to happen!  :D  You've been watching HOW MANY good bucks? AND you had a shot opportunity that YOU passed up? Bro, I'd like to see 1 good buck every couple years and I can't remember my last shot opportunity. You did the right thing. If you wanted that buck we'd be looking at hero shots right now! Go get em.  :archer2:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Takes alot to hold back like that, but that means that they have one more chance of getting bigger! This just might mean there is a bigger one in your future,  I look toward to seeing pics!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Takes alot to hold back like that, but that means that they have one more chance of getting bigger! This just might mean there is a bigger one in your future,  I look toward to seeing pics!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
I like that first post, about not being greedy if it's your goal! If you can't be proud of it-don't shoot it. Here's hoping you get a shot opportunity at a big old buck     :archer2:
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
You will get him next time!

Good luck,

Bisch

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
That is what it takes to put big ones on the wall.  If you want big trophies you did the right thing.  That is why I don't have any big bulls on the wall, I have a hard time passing up smaller ones.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Uh oh, get him before he sheds his velvet and disappears into that secret cave they live in until the rut.

Takes a lot of restraint to pass like that...at least thats what I've been told.   never tried it much myself   ;)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
At least you saw some animals Jimmy. You'll get him next time. Good luck   :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
I live by the adage, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth".

Then again, I don't have any big racks on my wall either.

Good luck!  We all do this for different reasons and they change over time for most of us.  Get out there and do your thing!  I have never even seen an elk in the wild.  That's a dream hunt for us out east...

Really hope to see you with a success thread this season.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Stick with it, man! Sounds like you got it figured out already. Keep on 'em and show us the pics!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Got a buddy that says"everything happens for a reason"

Rock on bro!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Yea, I feel your pain.  Going for any legal buck this year (3 points on one side, excluding brow tine).  The big one eludes me, and for some reason I attract spikes that I can't shoot!
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
you have to do what you feel is the right thing to do.  And if you let him slide at ten yards, then I bet that was a good choice   :notworthy:    :notworthy:

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
your season isnt over yet, is it? stay on em! gett r done! good luck!  :thumbsup:

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
You have the right to choose which one you would rather shoot. Nothing wrong with counting coup.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Your problem sounds like one I would love to have and you don't seem to cncerned about fixing yet.  I hope it works out for you but a shot oportunity on a real good animal is worth a lot more than the hope at an exceptional one in my book.  Sounds like you know the problem and how to fix it if you desire.   Or learn to be content.  Eitherway, good luck and God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline RK808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I "used to" have this same problem.  It was to the point where my hunting buddies were about to get physical haha!  The idea was: If the oldest or most beautiful showed up; it was all or nothing because I'd rather have taken the chance than wondered the rest of my life, "What if?"  

But in the last few months ... creating opportunity was so much hard work that the "idea" changed.  It is now : "If this other monster didn't exist right before my eyes, would I still shoot this smaller one?" If yes, nocked and drawn.  If no, get the camera and snap some pics!  

Hope you get that big boy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©