3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blister prevention and blister care...  (Read 239 times)

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
Blister prevention and blister care...
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Greetings All,

I forgot how much fun it is to break in new hunting boots...i.e blisters  The fit is right...they are just extremely stiff.  Manufacturer has a fairly long break in period on them...

What do some of you do for care and or prevention of blisters?

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blister prevention and blister care...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
I apply mole skin on the "hot spots" as they show up when I break-in new boots. Don't let them become blisters.

Offline ssoden

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Silk socks with wool sock over the top ... no more blisters  :)

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Ditto.  PolyPro undersocks with wool on top.  I carry a package of Moleskin in my day pack.  Apply Moleskin to hot spots before they become blisters as LBA suggested.  I've had a moleskin 'patch' stay on for a week.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Vaseline on your toes or wherever the boots are likely to rub.

Offline Ranger75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Duct tape is a great "field expedient" substitute for moleskin.

Don't know if you want to try this on your new hunting boots, but an old Army trick is to get them soaking wet and walk around for awhile while the leather's soft. Helps them mold to your feet.

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
X2 on what Ranger75 said.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
2X heavy socks the first few days to stretch the boot then 1 pair and if they feel like they are still rubbing go back to two for another day or two.......usually comfortable in a week.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
If it's too late and I have a blister already, what I do is make a small hole to it, make sure all liquid is out and then press back the skin for it to adhere back to where it was. Et voila, almost brand new!

Good luck!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
It sounds corny, but have a female friend buy you (or, if you are very secure, purchase yourself) a few of those little sets of women's knee high stockings.  They are ultra thin and light.  Wear them under your regular socks, preferably Smartwool, Wigwam, etc.  This is an Infantry trick that allows the boot to rub on that liner rather than on your skin.  I still do it sometimes when I know I'll be walking a long way.
Silence is golden.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Sweeney3 has it, we did this in the Marines. Along with mole skin DT. Saddle soap will help break boots in. And any blister around an inch gets cut opened drained, and will heal pretty quick. But use your blisters to find the location of the rubbing (on the inside of the boot) and apply neets foot oil,saddle soap or any softener you like to help prevent it from happening again while your breaking them in.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline caihlen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Brand new boots.  Stand in a tub of hot water until they are soaked though.  Wear them until they are dry.  No problems.  Only works for leather.

All of the above on blisters.  

Don't forget second skin for really bad, popped ones.  Saved my butt a few times.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:22:00 AM »
Light polypro type liner socks are great to wear under heavier socks to prevent blisters. I have a pair of boots that I need to wear 4 pr of socks so as not to blister.

If I get blisters, I use the latex type blister bandaids. Some brands stick longer than others, I think the good ones are Dr Scholls, but I'd have to check my pack I haven't bought new ones in awhile.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
guess i've been lucky.  only major blisters are boots that were slightly too large.   I do get some hotspots from time to time.   Also stiff boot guy, one of these days I'll switch to plastic.  The pair that didnt fit was terrible how bad the blisters were and ended what little of a sheep season I had left.  

I also pop mine and try to take care of things from there...probably not the right way but it works for me.  Basically anything to keep the boot from rubbing on it be it mole skin duct tape, will all work.  I dont directly apply it to the area....as much as around it.

I find liner socks for some reason make my feet slide, creating more blisters/hotspots than just one pair of straight wool.   Currently wearing Lowa's, have worn the Meindl Alaskas and Canada's. They also make my feet sweat more both in my old basic boots and my hunting gear...had issues so stopped.    

If they are the Alaska's or the lowas or something similar with the higher rock guard around them, dont expect too much movement in the leather.   I havent messed with the lasportiva's yet so cant comment too much on them other than friends that have them love them for early season sheep!  Much lighter weight, rigid, durable.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©