3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does DOCK FOAM Make a Good Target??  (Read 216 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Does DOCK FOAM Make a Good Target??
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Hey all,

Been trying to find some foam blocks to make a target for a few months now with no luck at all.  My last target was made from 1x1x1.5 foam blocks and I had 9 of them strapped together.  Best target I have ever used, but I couldn't bring it with me when I moved to Texas.  Tried to get the same foam blocks when I got here but that doesn't look like it's going to happen,

I did find a block of what is called FLOATATION FOAM or DOCK FOAM.  It is described as Closed Cell Polyurethane and resistant to Gas and Oil.  I cubic foot will float 50 pounds.

I haven't had a chance to handle it or see it.  I thought I would ask you all and see what your experience was with this stuff and whether it would make a good target or not.  I doubt I would be shooting broadheads in it, I would make me a BAG target for that.

I can tell you that the block is GREY in color, if that means anything.

What do you all think?  Has anyone out there used this stuff before and will it serve well as a target for my 47 pound longbows and Recurves?

Thanks

Nalajr

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does DOCK FOAM Make a Good Target??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
YES!  that sutff is great!  It's a little tough to remove the arrows, but it does a great job stopping them.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I have have some dock foam and it stops an arrow good.  It will make a mess if I shoot at it a lot and arrows are hard to pull out.  I still use it from time to time but usually use it as part of my back stop.

Mine is blue however and may be a bit different.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Im a welder at a marina and have shot at it. It will stop an arrow good but they dont want to come out very easy. Even thought it is dock foam it will get water logged because it is open cell foam so you might want to keep it covered. I 3x3 block will weigh about 100 lbs before you know it.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Just don't use the white  crumbly stuff your back yard will look like it snowed(and alot harder to clean up)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Wrap the heck out of it with shrinkwrap if you don't want white chunks everywhere..that defies
raking up.The neighbors may disown ya.
Mike

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
We used to use for backstops behind our 3d's at our old range. It worked but hard to pull wood arrows or arrows from heavy bows. It did keep us from sending arrows to the arrow gods so we liked it.

Offline LEWIS VADEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Very hard to pull arrows when it's cold.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
It makes a mess and you are taking a gamble shooting a finished wood arrow into it.  Some finishes (polyurethane for one) will weld themselves to the foam from the heat of entry.

Do you need a target that will stop broadheads?  If not, there are a lot better solutions out there.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
I have a block of it that I only use for shooting broadheads in to, works great for that.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
For broad heads i get 2-3 years out of the stuff. I don't care for shooting field tips into them. too hard to pull..

They are a bit messy when that 3rd year comes around.... Btw....good marine dock foam will NOT soak up water at all. i never cover mine and they are fine. UV rays break them down worse than weather.  kirk

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
For broad heads i get 2-3 years out of the stuff. I don't care for shooting field tips into them. too hard to pull..

They are a bit messy when that 3rd year comes around.... Btw....good marine dock foam will NOT soak up water at all. i never cover mine and they are fine. UV rays break them down worse than weather.  kirk
Not tryin to argue or anything like that but any foam besides a marine application two part expanding foam will soak up water because it is open cell. I have used it a long time and seen it first hand. All white foam is the same kind. The two part marine foam is more like an epoxy and is a yellow color.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©