3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How come there are NO traditional hunting shows?  (Read 692 times)

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How come there are NO traditional hunting shows?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 04:29:00 AM »
I think there are a lot of trad shooters on tv these days. I worked from home and keep the hunting shows on pretty much all day.
Obviously Eichlers show, but bow hunter tv, muzzy, American archer, and backland routinely have trad shooters on, even pig man was shooting a bear take down this yr.  More and more all the time.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
Our time will come. Maybe not with a divoted series, but at least with more exposure. Fred Eikler does a good job with his show, but it doesn't promote "trad archery". It's just another hunting show. They're all the same. We went here, these are the bucks we've been seeing and have pictures of, this is the scent we used, sponsor plug, we had to change our set up, this was (all the uneccesary) equipment we used..... Blah blah blah.
It would be nice to have something to watch that we could actually learn something from, and appreciate. Something that showed a little more involvement from the hunter, and I don't mean smashing ginormous antlers together and blowing the grunt tube like its a damn flute.
It's about time the hunting show evolved to show that we're not just ruthless killers of cute fuzzy animals, but that we're people who respect life and the outdoors, and care about the management and conservation of this beautiful place we call earth. And that we do more to protect what we love than any anti or tree hugger could dream about.
We need to show that it's not all about the kill. But rather an understanding and appreciation of Gods great gift and all his marvelous creation!  Every hunt, every journey is an adventure. We need a show that promotes that adventure, not just the kill. And certainly not all the latest and greatest, you need this to be successful, crap. It's the adventure we crave. Not just shooting big bucks. Sorry for the rant.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
OK, this IS a bit of a reach, but we've got Trad Hunting "shows" right here on Trad Gang.
And no commercial interruptions.
Every time one of us posts a pictorial essay of one of their hunts, we get to watch and learn and get pretty pumped for our own little world. Or at least I do.
I don't like to name names, because someone always gets left out, BUT when Charlie Lamb or Andy Ivy tell a tale, it's about as interesting as it gets.
LOTS of others tell a good story as well.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
The "hunting industry" has ruined any chance for a quality hunting show. It's all about selling the latest gadget or camo patern. The standards for programming are eroding. The outhouse channel used to prohibit repetition of "impact sequences". Now you can repeat them twice. It's really a sad state of affairs.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
For any given wheel bow show, you can get money from sponsors for:  Bow, rest, quiver, sight, peep sight, stabilizer, laser rangefinder, laser rangefinder tactical riser attachment system, string silencer, limb vibration dampeners, riser vibration dampeners, quiver vibration dampeners, stabilizer vibration dampener bushings, buck fever vibration dampeners, erratic heartbeat vibration dampeners, knee knock vibration dampeners, release, strings/cables, string loops, arrows, broadheads, vanes, lighted nocks, hard sided case, bow hanging hook, special "archery" gloves, mask, pants, boots, shirt, etc.....  Is there any other absolutely mandatory bow hunting equipment that I missed?  If I left anything out, my whole hunt will be ruined.

Not much money advertising for a couple of sticks and string.  Especially when so many trad hunters make their own sticks and strings instead of buying them.  

Maybe we should all get together and start a non-profit traditional archery entertainment foundation.

Cave drawings - the original outdoor channel.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Walk into any sporting goods store or pick up a catalog and what do you see? Kind of tells you where the majority of $ are being spent. Shows will follow the $. My Charter TV/internet/phone bill got so out of sight I drastically pruned it. Kept the basic and extended basic package so my wife could watch her "reality" shows, but lost my military channel, history channel and all my outdoors channels. Don't really miss them. I was getting a bit tired of seeing nothing but 150+ bucks getting shot and 5 minutes of hand pumping and whispering.

Take the dogs for a walk through our local cemetery/woods trail and see how many deer I can get withing longbow/recurve range of. Far more satisfying. There are lots of good Trad Hunting DVDs out there if it's pouring and I don't feel like getting soaked that morning.

Sour grapes? Maybe.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I did love Tred Barta's show - it is one of the things that got me interested in traditional.  He is sometimes over the top, but he knows it and revels in it.    It was so different to see an entire episode devoted to shooting at sandhill cranes and not killing any, but Tred didn't care, he obviously enjoyed the journey.  It was sad to see illness strike the man.

I also agree, that it is all explained by the $$$.  I've read in a couple places that some of the older well known hunters would rather be shooting traditional, but they get paid a lot to shoot the latest compounds (with a full compliment of accessories).
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
I think it's a coming thing... There is a show on the outdoor channel called "Hunting with Sasquatch" that is pretty cool. it's not all trad bow hunting, but it's not your typical hunting show either. I built a long bow for this huge mountain man and he's already taken a mountain lion with it and a huge bison. and is giving up the compound bow completely this coming year and plans on taking elk, and white tail with the long bow this season.

The Bison hunt will be airing in late August.

http://laramymiller.com/

Scott Anderson from backlandTV just contacted me last week and wants to use one of my long bows this coming season too.... So i think it's getting more popular, and we'll see more this coming year.... Kirk

http://www.backlandtv.com/about-the-show/

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
theres a show on the pursuit channel called "backland experience". the guy on there uses a longbow with flint arrow tips.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Bjorn said it all. More M-O-N-E-Y  in the Wheelies, and More Compounds  OUT  there than "Tradish".???  :confused:   Is this the New Slang for "Traditional"?? Cocktail Slang, "Oh yes... I Shoot Tradish."  :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Admittedly, it's been a number of years since I paid any attention to hunting show. But with the exception of Eichler's show, I used to cringe when the preview of any show involved someone with a stickbow. Nearly without fail, the hunter would be some overly-opinionated individual who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. If that's what another traditional bowhunting show would involve, I'll take a pass.

Offline flintznstyx

• Trad Bowhunter
Eric

Banshee TDR 60" 43#@28"

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I agree with the fact that we don't have enough to sell.

But, I think that done "in good taste" it would be more acceptable to mainstream folks...

Fat chance for a show like that though... but hey, just in case, I'm available, LOL!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I know the answer...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
The best "hunting show" is the one starring you and your favorite bow in your favorite spot to hunt. There is nothing that can replace it. Trust me when you're older what will you want to daydream about and fondly remember? Some guy hawking more stuff on TV or You and your friends woodland exploits?!
Member NCBA

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
I would not care for the glitter and bright lights of show biz. I prefer the low key,  somewhat introverted approach to hunting that many trad guys have. Leave the spotlight to somebody else.  Commercially, you guys are right when you say there is just not enough money in it to interest most large companies.
Sam

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Personally I don't see a need for it. Most of these TV hunts are just advertising campaigns. I like the fact that we try and remain pure to our sport.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Lets start one!!! Who needs TV. We can submit hunts and produce videos to sell online. Everyone can video their kills and we can compile them all. All we need is someone to put it all together for us.

Forget the sponsors getting air time. Ads only. Buyers of our video don't want to see that anyway. How to pay for it? It will cost the hunt submitter $50 per hunt submission (or whatever it is). Nothing but hunting. It would go from hunt to hunt.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Most, if not all, of those bow hunting shows are just advertising events with a little close up footage of game and a lot of fist pumping, chest pounding and high-fiving thrown in to celebrate the products that are being endorsed.    I wouldn't be at all surprised either if those "hunts" are filmed on game ranches or in areas that are cultivated solely for the purpose of the advertising.

That silliness is ok if you like that kind of thing but I don't hunt or act like that.   I pass.

Offline Mike Taylor2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
A trad hunting show plays in my dreams and daydreams every day this close to the season.  I'm a star and no commercials.  

I wouldn't watch another hunting show on TV if it was free.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©