3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How come there are NO traditional hunting shows?  (Read 694 times)

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How come there are NO traditional hunting shows?
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
I'm subscribed to a youtube channel that has a lot of very entertaining traditional bowhunts.

Leatherwoodoutdoors

I especially like their deer drive hunts...couple of 3-5yd kill shots on the ground...good stuff.  They have a few wheelie hunts in there as well but I think they're all moving to trad gear.  They're getting much better in their production quality as well...good kill shots with solid impacts.  I like watching them because they're more in my age group (mid 20's) but are very mature.  I like the way they handle themselves on film.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Lets start one!!! Who needs TV. We can submit hunts and produce videos to sell online. Everyone can video their kills and we can compile them all. All we need is someone to put it all together for us.

Forget the sponsors getting air time. Ads only. Buyers of our video don't want to see that anyway. How to pay for it? It will cost the hunt submitter $50 per hunt submission (or whatever it is). Nothing but hunting. It would go from hunt to hunt.
I am not to good at self videoing but it woudl be cool.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I think Terry, Denny, Ron and the rest of the original TradGang should make one.  I think they make this sport look as fun and exciting as any other outdoors activity.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing The Bowhunters of Tradgang become a dvd series.  

Out of 36,000+ people, there's gotta be some decent footage.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Years ago, C&W singer, Gary Morris had a hunting show, frequently using selfbows made by a friend of his named Brad Smith, if memory serves.  It was really a great traditional value show, but, like so many other great shows, it was cancelled.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
It is true it cost a ton of money for a show.  I liked Tred even though he was over the top, he would show him missing and not always going after a "world record", more of hunting as it is.  Mr. Ferguson had I though a great show years ago, where he would show how to do things like arrows, bow making etc.. I thought it was great but cancelled.  The only way I can see a traditional show making it on the "big" channels, is to have something like america's funniest video's, where a host introduce's a few video clips of the week.  I think Mr. Langer does a great job too, but I think Telvision land just wants too much money, and there isn't enough sponsors to keep it alive.  I think Tradgang TV would rule!!!  A channel where it would encompass, tradtional, 3d, hunting, building, survival, history, lessons.  Just remember, even if we all came up with the money the network, director, writer, producer will have there say and muck it up.  Go hunt, shoot or fish, video it.  Then come home and do all the editing, then dub and add music and look how much time and money it took, it isn't cheap or easy.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2012, 02:27:00 AM »
I am going to make something online, for us trad bowhunters.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Actually saw a recurve hunter in a Primos Truth vid hunting elk. He passed on a MONSTER Bull Elk at 37 yards I think it was.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
I saw that one I think....apparently the bull was 15 yards from him in brush and he could not see it for a clear shot even though the camera man could from his angle....  he had one an annual hunt drawing if not mistaken...was a good show.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
hunting shows are only popular if they show LOTS of kills ?
Getting kills on film is tenfold more difficult with trad tools .
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick Perry:
hunting shows are only popular if they show LOTS of kills ?
Getting kills on film is tenfold more difficult with trad tools .
I think that our community has a deeper appreciation for the journey, as well as the destination.

I know that I truly enjoy seeing a guy with trad gear sharing all aspects of the hunting experience. I think there are others who feel the same way.

I built a place for us on line, it will be all trad videos 24/7/365.

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
I built a place for us on line, it will be all trad videos 24/7/365. [/QB][/QUOTE]

great!...where?...how do we get there?

can we post videos on it?

this might be pretty dang cool!  :thumbsup:

Offline AZWarts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Thats awesome Kirk!
A superior pilot uses superior judgment to keep from using his superior skills.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
where?

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
I had proposed on another site that we have more than enough talent and video footage if we could get a couple sponsors and support from bowyers and some industry leaders and clubs.....and start with just one of our better known personalities talking about traditional bowhunting (self, long, and recurve)...and then introducing a video to show.

Between Wensels, Mittens, Stony Wolf, Cascade, Black Widow, 3Rivers, etc we have enough to do a couple years......  They could also include a youth segment or one that talks about ethics, challenge of the hunt, honoring our prey, seeing how CLOSE you can get rather than how far away you can take a shot....building your own gear (strings, arrows, bows) sharpening broadheads...have a history segment with a 60 sec spot on a historical figure or info from TBB or North American Indian bows and arrows or Sand County Almanac, etc.

Anyhow...other than getting the funding and a slot on DISH....getting permission from the video owners to allow their DVDs to be shown once per season at most.  Think of exposing current and future traditionalist to the DVDs of Fred Bear, Paul Brunners Archery Elk:Dream Hunt, or Bowhunting October Whitetails with Wensels, or Primal Dreams, or Up Close and Personal, or Mike Lapinksi, Denny Sturgis, Bob Swineheart, Monty Browning, E.D. Thomas(no that is no erectile dysfunction LOL), Fred Anderson, John Strunk, Mike Mitten, Paul Brunner, Ron LaClair, Dean Torges, Tom Parsons, G. Fred Asbell and a host of our more experienced members from PBS, Comptons, etc...

I see a couple shows that cant be more than home grown setups in a garage that are on television...so getting someone to give you a chance has to be the hardest part.  Maybe Fred Eichler would help get things rolling...who knows.

Wishful thinking on my part but we could definitely have something with all the footage we have at our disposal with just a few producers in agreement.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
It's the difficulty level.  I asked my buddies who film hunts "wiredarrow outdoors" why they don't just make the switch to trade.  Seeing the success of Wild Traditions and Letting Loose, I figured they could actually get some capital doing a trad video.

"It's hard enough to get kills with compounds".  That's who they sum it up...and it's hard to argue with that logic.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
We can do it ourselves, I have already taken action to facilitate this endeavor. If anyone is interested just email me. [email protected]

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Dave you know I want in on this If I can help in any way let me know Thanks Mike

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
It's coming back, it always does.  I see the look in people's faces when I show them any little trad video I've done.  Heck, I shot a fox with my GoPro on the other day and the guys at work loved it.  Wouldn't have believed it unless I showed them.

Eventually, whether other hunters admit it or not, they want to watch someone else do it better.  There lies the niche.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Here is a video a friend and I put together of a recent hunt.

Like others have said before I think the biggest problem with getting a show on network TV is overcoming the cost.

There are more and more people converting to traditional archery everyday, if that trend continues it's only a matter of time.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©