3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear shot placement  (Read 288 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear shot placement
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Leaving in a couple of weeks.  I've been studying the anatomy photos, some folks say shoot the pocket between elbow and shoulder some say divide in half top/bottom and shoot 4" in front if that.  What says the experts?

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear shot placement
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
I'm in the 4" in front of the middle camp.  Half way back, half way down and 4" forward.  In my experience the heart/lungs of a bear are further back than a deer.  The chest slopes from the diaphram up to the neck much more than a deer so the vitals are further back.

Biggest bear I have ever seen and had a shot at I had a pass thru in the shoulder pocket 1/2" from my aiming point..........and lost him.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
Biathlonman,let bears come in to the bait and feed for a bit and settle down.They will be cautious for a bit till they settle in.

I wouldn't shoot when they are on their belly feeding.In that position the shoulder blade can roll down,almost horizontal and block a good bit of the lung.For sure,I would hold half way up as far as top to bottom.Mature boars have a pec muscle that hangs down quite a bit below the sternum.Like Pete says,the sternum slopes up but the pec muscle looks like the bottom of the chest.If you could see a bear like that from the front,there is a deep cleft between the pecs.

Double lung a bear with any sharp broadhead and he will go down very fast.Good luck on your hunt and have fun.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
I'm doing a spot and stalk hunt...but keep it coming guys I'm taking notes.

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
The preferred shot for me is the 1/4 away.  Bear vitals are much more forward than deer.  Good luck.
"They're all trophies"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Like I was saying.  Three replys and one guy says they are further forward then a deer and one says they are further back!  IT CAN'T BE BOTH!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Get him quartering away a little bit and shoot him in the middle up and down, and middle right and left - always worked for me!

Black bears are pretty thin skinned and the ribs are lighter than people think.  The shoulder blades are tougher than those of a deer - stay off the shoulders - but the ribs are similar to a deer.  They have a relatively smaller chest cavity than a deer for body size - think big raccoon.  In my experience they give up the ghost pretty easy on any reasonable shot placement.  Just stay off that shoulder blade.

Good luck!

Ryan

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
As others have said... cut the bear in half top to bottom and in half side to side, aim for where the two cross. I like a broadside shot. I've seen a lot of bears lost on quartering shots (probably because they were shot too far forward). No matter what, stay away from the shoulder. You might as well shoot a rock, the shoulders on a bear are rock hard.

When I hunt bear I want them as close as possible! Under 15 yards.

If you hit them right they won't go far, but a bad hit and your in for a long hard track.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
This might help:

Vitals are further back, NOT further forward than a deers.  
Where you hunting, Brad?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
In this corner weighing in at ?#'s we have McMiller and in the other corner weighing in at ?#'s we have straight arrow. Gentlemen we want a clean fight, no eye gouging.   :deadhorse:

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Mmgrode, great photo!  Headed to Montana on the 6th of September.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
McMiller wins by a knockout!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Have a fun hunt, Brad.  Are you targeting bears or hoping for one incidental to another hunt?  Nothing quite like bear hunting!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm targeting bears, others in camp are chasing elk.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Great pic mmgrode, probably one of the best and most accurate I have seen - thanks.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Shot mine at the 2/3 up the body and a shade less than half way back. She ran 80 yards total distance before expiring. Double lung a bit high and back, but still both lungs. Stay off the heavy shoulder and outta the fat belly. You will be fine.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
Great pics, and info guys, I find this really helpful, for me and the wife who will bear hunting soon. We are newbies at it, but both experienced hunters.
samuel koger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©