3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: surprised by a miss?  (Read 173 times)

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
surprised by a miss?
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
i was at a 3d shoot on sunday and i was shooting exceptionally well that day but one shot i cant get out of my head was i came up to this ram about 30 yards away but i was on one rock bluff and there was a gully then another cliff and it was on the other cliff. so i came up to the stake and stared at the 10 ring well really a speck of dirt in the middle of the 10 ring and i drew held and released and didnt move at all till i heard the arrow thump, but the thump was of me shooting low and straight under it. this amazed me because i felt soo good about the shot before i even drew the bow in my mind i had made a perfect shot and it felt that i had already nailed a 10. i was so stunned i missed that i had to shoot another arrow so i drew another arrow took a deep breath and did everything the exactly same as i did before and this arrow went right into the spot.

has anyone else ever experianced any misses that took you by surprise like totally off gaurd that you missed?
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: surprised by a miss?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
I sure have...had the same senerio you just described happen numerous times.  The shot felt perfect just the many before it, but way off the mark...can't explain it really, not sure what happens.

I like the ones where you are surprised when you DO hit it  :)
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Same thing happened to me Sunday. I was shooting pretty well, even hit a couple x's and 10's on a few targets that have given me trouble in the past. Was feeling really good about a mule deer target about 34 yards away. Drew back, zoned on the 10 ring, let her fly, and missed the target 6" low!  WTF! Shot again, perfect height, but 18" left! All right, one more time. Burned a hole in the 10 ring AGAIN, and smoked an x. Frustrating to say the least, but at least we proved we could do it! Lol. Who knows what happens sometimes. Finished the round fairly well, even in the fading light.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
I forgot to mention that was the first time I've shot a 3d course since may, and it was with a new arrow set up. It's all fun and games... 'til you miss the target!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
For me it is usually on a very large target.  I think the size tricks my brain into thinking it is closer than it is.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »
yeah i messed up a bull elk at 15 yards but i only landed in the 8 ring haha
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
That usually happens to me when I am shooting well.....I kinda lose my focus and get robotic. I expect every arrow to follow the last...thump, thump....what the heck? Use it as a good thing, a reminder to ALWAYS have lazer focus.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
YEP
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
x2 what Roger said. I think I just loose focus when I get in the groove and shooting really well.

That is one reason why I usally practice with one arrow and never return to the same spot as my last shot. Every shot is "new" and I focus.

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
You did your part. Call it a successful shot.   BILL

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
I never expect to miss......but it happens! Miss judged the distance, lost focus, or my target panic raises it's ugly head......or all of the above...lol!    :banghead:    :banghead:    I have found that stump shooting has helped me more than anything, even on the 3/D range. But never forget...anybody can miss!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
I miss so much it never surprises me...

The most memorable miss actually happened to my friend, Rodney. The target was a smallish buck well within Rodneys comfort zone. The object was to shoot between two trees that were close together...but not to close. His concentration was total, his draw smooth as silk, his hold was rock solid, his release...perfect and the beautiful, hand made, POC projectile was on its way to the ten spot! As the arrow was getting ready to pass between them one of those trees moved (that's right moved) just enough causing the shaft to strike it. The exploding arrow was a sight to behold. Pieces of Cedar went everywhere. It was amazing...smelled good too!

You may be asking...Did I laugh?

Of course I did! Cause that's what best friends are for!

:biglaugh:      :laughing:
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
We had our club 3d fall shoot last night! Iwas very surprised by a miss on my first target, over the back and lost an arrow to boot. The bantering from the other shooters sure threw me , so concentration saved me from total imbaressment . I knew what I did wrong and had to fix it (quickly) .  I'm thankful for all the stump shooting .  End result was a good shoot.  Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
If you are going to miss, thats the way it should be.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©