3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Muscle Cramping while Hunting  (Read 347 times)

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
Muscle Cramping while Hunting
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
I've suffered from severe leg muscle cramps since I was a kid.  Last October (2011) while on a mountain biking trip to Moab, UT with my youngest son I stopped in at a well-stocked bike shop and noted they had a large display of vitamins, supplements, energy drinks, etc.  I asked what they would recommend, if anything, for muscle cramps.

Three guys working there all came to where I was standing and recommended Sportslegs.  Long story-short, I bought a bottle and now before I work out I take the recommended dosage.  The impossible to believe news is that I have had only one minor leg cramp since October 4, 2011!!  

This fall, if you suffer from leg or other muscle cramps after exerting a lot of energy, do yourselves a favor and order this product (I am NOT a company representative - I'm just a guy who found something that has changed my life and I want to share this with you).  My workouts are harder, I can do more longer and I don't have excessive soreness the next morning...plus - NO CRAMPS!

http://www.sportlegs.com/about/welcome.asp
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Muscle Cramping while Hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the info....going to REI to buy some right now!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
You might want to check for a potassium shortage. I was having calf and foot cramps every night. Started stocking up on bananas and no more cramps.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
From my experience the biggest cause of cramps is dehydration.  You absolutely MUST drink water.  I see so many guys going up the mountain for the day with just a 16 oz bottle of water and then at night they wonder why they are all cramped up.  I have a MINIMUM of 64 oz of water with me and sometimes more.  Dehydration is one the biggest causes of fatigue as well.  Your body needs alot of water.  All the vitamins or supplements in the world won't help if you are dehydrated.  This isn't to say that the supplements aren't required at times but make sure you are plenty hydrated before taking them.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
I have developed some muscle cramp problems (much more severe than I've ever had in my life) since becoming an insulin-dependent diabetic, and found that they are inversely related to my intake of water and gatorade-type drinks.  As my intake goes up, the cramping goes down.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
From my experience the biggest cause of cramps is dehydration.  You absolutely MUST drink water.  I see so many guys going up the mountain for the day with just a 16 oz bottle of water and then at night they wonder why they are all cramped up.  I have a MINIMUM of 64 oz of water with me and sometimes more.  Dehydration is one the biggest causes of fatigue as well.  Your body needs alot of water.  All the vitamins or supplements in the world won't help if you are dehydrated.  This isn't to say that the supplements aren't required at times but make sure you are plenty hydrated before taking them.
X2
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Yep, dehydration is the main cause.  Poor circulation will cause it also.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Drink more (water) and take Potassium like others have said. Unfortunately Coffee and alcohol deplete your body's

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Potassium and Vitamin C    BOth will help
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
lots of fluids and bananas are what I take when hunting or hiking....also if have to be still for extended periods on stand I do isometric exercises where you just flex muscles and use against themselves...minimizes movement but helps keep them from stiffening up.

from SERE school many years ago...learned that if you feel thirsty or start feeling effects...that you are already dehydrated....muscle cramps, vision impairment, elevated heart rate as body tries to cool down and if you stop sweating you are in serious trouble.  If sweating you need to be drinking almost continuously to keep up with it....if you dont have to pee after drinking 16oz or more...then you are behind the curve already.

You can go weeks without food but only days without water...I think they told us 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food before your life is threatened....add extreme heat and sweating and it could be advanced.

Hydrate the night before and take a bottle to drink while on stand....save an empty to empty into if you are hydrated and the rest is waste.  Just dont drink the yellow bottle later... LOL
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips gentlemen, but I've tried a lot of those with no success.  Potassium, bananas, lots of energy drinks but nothing worked until I found Sportslegs.  BTW, the only place I've found them is at bike shops or the internet.  I'm not sure that REI has it...good if they do.  I also bought a Camelback which I carry with me at all times.
RMEF / NWTF

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip, but I too suffered from cramps while mountain biking and after going to a Camelbak with more fluids available along the ride I rarely have them.

Hydration is key.

Supplements help. Bananas are my go-to supplement.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
This summer I got dehydrated at a two day shoot. That night I cramped bad and it was suggested that I drink some pickle juice and let me tell you all, it worked great!!!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I have the same problem after a day of long walking, especially in the Winter when we tend to not drink enough water. I make it a habit of having a few quarts of sports drink (Gatorade)in camp if camping and if a day hunt I always stop at the first convenient store to get some Gatorade. No problems then. As an aside my doctor turned me on to a trick. Keep a bottle of Tonic water in the fridge and if you feel some tightening in your leg muscles take a good swig of the tonic water. Kills it almost instantly . Something to do with the Quinine in it.  A caveat though. The FDA  has come out against quinine drugs for leg cramps. I'm talking over the counter drugs. The amount of quinine in tonic water is small but it does the trick. It is still used in mixed drinks at bars.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
You need Potassium in fairly large doses. I always carry a couple bananas with me when hunting all day we're climbing and moving.

Might not hurt to carry a few salt tablets and some Gatorade. Cramping will definitely put a "cramp" in your hunting....   :saywhat:    :rolleyes:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
A lot of this advice is very helpful. As already mentioned, if you are diabetic be even more careful as many of the drinks that give energy also can seriously spike your blood sugar. Then all the cramping, vision issues, and dehydration problems are greatly compounded. I can't think of anything that has affected my hunting more adversely than problems caused or aggravated by diabetes.
Sam

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
You got that right, Sam.  I don't touch energy drinks unless they are carb-free.  But those electrolytes are great for relieving normal cramps due to dehydration.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
I am not diabetic, though it does run in the family.  This has been an on-going issue since I was a teen (I'm 56 now).  I've eaten up to 1/2 dozen bananas before activities, have taken just about every potassium supplement I can find, drank different drinks, carried 3-4 bottles of water at a time.  Sometimes it helps, other times not so much.  These cramps are pretty debilitating; I can recall standing along the highway for an hour until both my hammies and calf muscles relaxed.  Hurts like h#ll!!  Like I said, Sportslegs have been a life changer.
RMEF / NWTF

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Yes water+++++Geezer check that drink to see if it has magnesium in it, I take a magnesium supplement to ward off leg cramps and plain water with NO sweetner or sugar.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
For those that don't want to carry around bananas(Like me cause they would be a big destroyed MESS)....stay hydrated and take a half dozen of these two at a time through out the day.

Luckily I found a drug store one afternoon and they saved me another sleepless night!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©