3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow quiver changing arrow spine?  (Read 306 times)

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow quiver changing arrow spine?
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
I've heard that a strap on quiver can change the spine of your arrow. If this is true, does it weaken it or stiffen the spine?   :dunno:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow quiver changing arrow spine?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Quiver dosent change a thing if you start tuning with it on the bow from the start.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Get the straps off the limbs and on the riser or it will rob your bows performance and your arrows will show stiff.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
The quiver doesn't change the spine of your arrows, but it can change the spine your bow needs in order to tune correctly.  It can cause the bow need a lighter spine or your current arrows to shoot stiff.  Doesn't generally change things more than 5 lbs and you can often come right back to perfect just by going up some in point weight.

The change seems to apply mostly to light riser bows cut out from center.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
A bow quiver can act as a stabilizer on a bow. It can work against you or it can make the bow shoot more consistent depending on the weight of the quiver and how (and where) it fastens to the bow. If you have a quiver that does change how the bow shoots, then you need to re-tune the bow for that quiver.

It's debatable whether it's a question of the quiver interfering with the action of the limbs affecting the efficiency, or whether it's an inertia problem caused by a heavy quiver which causes torque.  

We try to keep our quivers as light weight as possible to avoid any problems with how the bow shoots. In fact we hear all the time from guys shooting our quivers that they actually improve how their bow groups. We are now starting to make some larger 5 arrow quivers and at some point they may have an effect on how some bows shoot.

:archer2:    :archer2:

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Its even more then that! Depending on the position of the arrows in the quiver and the position of the hood and grabber your arrow will perform differently. In a recent tuning session with a new string my arrows shot better without the quiver then with it on. It was how the riser torxed in my hand at release! I have a GN quiver and I need to try something that moves the mass weight forward on the riser I think. I am still playing with it.

Now I know why others have so many bow quivers. It will take some time testing to figure this out.

Martin

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
You guys must shoot better than me.
  :D  

I would think you would have to be on the verge of being to stiff anyway to notice IMO.

Now the added weight and quieting characteristics are another story.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
A bow quiver almost always changes the tuning of your bow due to the extra weight on the limbs. It is more unnecessary weight that is in turn robbing the limbs of performance.
James Kerr

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
A bow quiver should always be mounted well into the riser so that it is completely off the working part of the limbs and fadeouts.

The effect on tuning is most noticeable on light riser bows cut out from center.  On the shot, the arrow initially presses against the riser and moves it away from the arrow a tiny bit.  The added weight of the quiver and arrows resists this movement somewhat and the riser moves less.  Arrow spine now needs to be less to go flex around the riser in paradox.

I don't have any high speed video to validate this theory, but have experimented enough with my setups and others to convince me it is true.

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Thanks guys! My quiver is the new strap-on from Selway. I don't really need one more thing to expirement with right now, so I'll just use a hip quiver this year. Problem solved.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Sirius, based on the riser and depth of cut, I don't believe the Selway will affect either of your RER bows.  Strap it on and try some shots.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Never noticed any difference with a quiver on any bow I have owned. But then again, I mount mine well inside the fade outs, so they don't effect the working portion of the limbs.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
This must be a compound forum.  :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
I wonder certain things and this is definately one of those times.  Science says that a properly made bow that does not flex thru the riser cannot and no way be affected by a strap on quiver, slide on quiver, basically any quiver if it is slide it up on the fades adequately.  If you do this and it still affects the tuning you had better put that one down because it is fixing to give you a head ache.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
my two longbows shoot great with the kanati. but both were tuned with it on.  my titan recurve however was not tuned with aquiver on it and it shoots great with the kwikee quiver I put on it last week.  that bolts to the riser though and is pretty light weight.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
If the quiver is mounted properly on the bow just above the fadeouts then it shouldn't have any effect on limb efficiency or arrow spine. The change is in how it affects the bow regarding torquing. The heavier the quiver, and the position of the quiver can amplify torgue in a negative way. Just as an inline stabilizer can minimize torque, an out of alinement quiver can maximize torque.

Just to compound things, you would also need to figure in the type of bow and shooting style.  
                    :deadhorse:

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:
If the quiver is mounted properly on the bow just above the fadeouts then it shouldn't have any effect on limb efficiency or arrow spine. The change is in how it affects the bow regarding torquing. The heavier the quiver, and the position of the quiver can amplify torgue in a negative way. Just as an inline stabilizer can minimize torque, an out of alinement quiver can maximize torque.

:thumbsup:
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I understand and agree with your torgue theory but torgue and tuning are 2 different things.  If you are torguing the bow, you are simply twisting it off center, not flexing the riser. Once again, if anything is causing the riser to flex, you better retire it before it retires you.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
On every recurve or longbow I put a quiver on and I do have an assortment of them the arrows stiffen. I simply just tune the bow with the quiver on.
 On my mohawk it is enough that the arrows have to be 3/8 longer to shoot perfect.I do have the quiver towards the thicker part of the riser. Bow quivers are really good and makes for carrying less stuff but I really like the feel of a bow without one.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©