3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should a trad newbie shoot woodies?  (Read 589 times)

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
Should a trad newbie shoot woodies?
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I need some more advice. Based on my other thread about poor accuracy with my broadheads it appears I might have to buy some new arrows at some time soon. When I got back into this I had the intention of ditching aluminum and carbon arrows and going to wood at some point. My question is with me still being fairly new and inexperienced to traditional tackle should I just jump in and go to wood shafts or should I stick to modern arrows until I gain more experience? I already fletch my own aluminum arrows. I was reading some of the tutorials here and it looks like all I would really need to buy was a tapering tool and I could just get one of those cheap plastic ones to keep the costs down and I could improvise some of the other tools needed. I saw a video somewhere with a guy who was hammering table spoons into trade points and hafting them onto his woodies. Things like that really appeal to me and I sure couldnt do that with aluminum arrows. I know the wood arrows will need more maintenance than aluminums. Should I just jump in with both feet and do it?
Thanks to all for your patience with a new guys endless questions.
Scott.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should a trad newbie shoot woodies?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I think if you have the time to make wooden arrows and enjoy doing it go for it. Really good wood shafts are getting harder to come by it seems like every day. Most places where you can buy wood shafts will have them spined right but they are nowhere near being weight matched. There are quite a few guys on here much more knowlegable about wood shafts than I am. Welcome to the site!
James Kerr

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Shoot what feels right to you. I have never shot anything but wood. Remember to have fun with it.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
When you say weight matched are you saying individual shafts should be weighed and sorted like I would with bullets if I were reloading rounds for competition?

Scott.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Stick with what you know.  I think wood arrows are for experts.  Every time I try them, they humble me.  I do not think beginners need the extra complexity a wood arrow brings.  Carbon and aluminum make more sense to me and I am not a beginner    :campfire:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Scott, woodies are great.  Don't be afraid of using them.

Until, and unless you are into big tournament perfection, don't get TOO wrapped up in perfectly matched shafts (spine / weight).  Get them close and shoot em.  

I have also found that woodies fly best out of some of my bows.  

Another trick,  whether you bare shaft tune or not,  get a decent spine match (to your bow) then use 5 or 5.5 inch fletch and you can shoot nearly any reasonable arrow, especially with field tips or narrower broadheads.

Have fun and shoot some arrows.  Gain some experience before you get too into the perfection thing.
ChuckC

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
Stick with what you know.  I think wood arrows are for experts.  Every time I try them, they humble me.  I do not think beginners need the extra complexity a wood arrow brings.  Carbon and aluminum make more sense to me and I am not a beginner     :campfire:  
X2
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I started with wood and still shoot wood and some aluminum. Dont be afraid to use them but if you cringe at the sight of a broken arrow you might want to start out with something else.
Dont get me wrong i love wood arrows and love to build and hunt with woodies. Try them out and see what you think.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
I love wood and it is all I shoot but I would not recommend it to a newbie-too overwhelming. Would not recommend reloading to a newbie either. Focus on shooting ability, form etc. When it is all under control and you are looking for more try some wood arrows and if you really fall in love-go for it!

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Yes.  We are talking wood arrows here, not rocket science...well I guess its sorta like rocket science.  Really woodies aren't complicated.

That said, for me carbons are by far the cheapest arrows in the long run.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Wood arrows are neat. They are not as perfect as aluminum or carbon though. If you buy a dozen shafts, most likely 4 of them will be perfect and good for hunting, 4 will be ok and good for 3-D, and the other 4 will be good stumping arrows. All depends on what you want to get out of Archery. I number my arrows and take note of which ones fly the best, those are my hunting arrows. If I have one or two that just don't fly well, even after trying to straighten them, I brake them over my knee:)

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
If you can tune em shoot em, if you can't keep trying that's the only way to learn, and sooner or later you will get it.Lots of great advice on site, Good Luck and Happy Shooting!!!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »
I like woodies a lot. Try to find a supplier who is willing to match a batch for you. My suplier handspines and weightmatches my shafts for me so they are all very equall and close to carbon.
I straighten them myself. I always check, before I go shooting, if they are all still straight.
When you have well matched, straight arrows, who are right for your bow, nothing equalls them!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
I've shot both wood and aluminum arrows when I was starting out in trad bowhunting 48 years ago. I found an aluminum arrow was very easy to tune to a bow rather than a wood arrow.

To this day, I've always shot an aluminum arrow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Turning out a matched set of woodies takes some know how and effort. Also maintaining them takes effort. They all warp  some so must be kept straight. Buy a supply of reparrows while you are at it. You will need them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
they smell better than carbon.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
You really dont need another variable in the equation when learnig. Find a carbon or aluminun that is spined correctly and get some instruction on tuning your bow and maybe a lesson on shooting and form. The lesson on shooting and form may just be the best investment you ever make!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I say jump in with both feet. Thats the only way you will know if they work for you. A fellow TG member gave me a dozen Sitka Spruce shafts. I love these arrows because I've learned to hand straighten them, put self nocks into them and add various field tips and broad heads. BTW, they shoot like darts.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Some here may disagree with me, but shoot what you want to shoot.  I have bows that are cut to center that I shoot carbons from and I can get them to shoot with minimal fletching.  But I also have bows not cut to center that when compared to center shot bows can be a nightmare to tune.  Work hard on getting the best tune you can, but don't give up because you are not getting lasers out of every arrow.  Slap some 5.5" bananas on there and get in the woods.  I love wooden shafts, and like them specifically with particular bows.  However, they tend to fly best with narrow broadheads and big fletching, which means they are not very forgiving and really hard to get to tune perfectly. I will never shoot aluminum again because I simply cannot find a reason to do so; I like wood and really old wood (carbon). My 2 cents.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Depends a lot on your free time, because there is a lot of other stuff to learn and master.  I have not become good enough in other areas to take on wood arrows.  I tried, but got frustrated because my time is very limited, and was first used for things like practicing and learning shooting, learning how to cut arrows, fletch arrows, sharpen broadheads, tune a bow . . . But it's something I look forward to doing one day.

Good luck.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©