3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to lengthen carbon arrows?  (Read 442 times)

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
How to lengthen carbon arrows?
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
With my current arrows I'm measuring 33" from nock point to the shank on the 250gr fp. The fp itself is adding about 1.5" to the arrow length.

I need to add an additional 2" to my arrows so I can use broadheads, without them hitting my hand or the bow back.

So all in all I need to add 3-3.5" to my current arrows.  Is there an established way to do this with carbons?

I need to modify my current arrows, I'll be going with longer bamboo arrows in the future, but those won't be in the cards before fall turkey season.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to lengthen carbon arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Holy wingspan Batman!!

What carbons are you shooting and what is the bow?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Post up a picture of you at full draw please?
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Shazam! You need to give up archery and take up basketball player.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
I think he shoots a horsebow or something with r-e-a-l long draw.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Better yet here's a video, This isn't my bow in the video, mine is a horsebow I just finished, and I don't have a good video of it, but at full draw I'm pulling the tip of the arrow onto the crook of my thumb and forefinger.

Arrows are Easton storm uncut carbons

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
This is a video of the horsebow, but I'm not at full draw here, and the bow isn't finished.

I was just using this video to check nock point and tillering so don't go by this....

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
I am looking at doing the same thing, but for different reasons.

My plan is to find an AL shaft or tubing that fit's tightly inside the carbon. Using your requirements I'd cut a 6" length of the Al shaft and slip it inside the carbon shaft.

Cut a sacrificial 3.5" piece of another carbon shaft. Clean up the ends and epoxy/glue it to the original carbon over the internal al sleeve.

Then foot the whole assemebly with another pice af Al shaft on the outside about 1 to 1-1/2" longer than joint.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
May I suggest, an old method to determine draw length. IMO it is too easy to draw longer than necessary. The most common arrow length is between 27 and 29" and the shorter arrow is less affected by wind in flight. You will find it very difficult to find arrows beyond 32" or spined for your bow.

Have someone mark the arrows with a pencil when you put the nock at a point between your arms in the center of your chest, when you extend both arms and fingers; mark where the tips of your middle finger(s) are on the arrow shaft. A wood yard stick will also work, or a bare shaft. Close your eyes, and do not try to over-reach. You should be comfortable when reaching forward. Do itt three times and then average the three lenghs measured.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
maybe try an arrow stretcher, they should be on the same shelf as the turn signal fluid and the sky hooks???   :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by huntmaster80:
maybe try an arrow stretcher, they should be on the same shelf as the turn signal fluid and the sky hooks???    :laughing:      :laughing:  
I'm the highest bidder on one on FleaBay right now...

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
I watched your videos and understand your situation. I probably would try a hardwood dowel cut 3" longer than the splice. Epoxy with 12 hr epoxy.  I might try beveling the end of your arrow shafts, to fit inside a bevel on the splice. I think an external footing, would create a bump when drawing.  

The hardwood dowels can be found in many sizes.  If it is necessary to build up a dowel a fraction at a time, wrap the dowel with painters tape to get a snug fit. Don't force it into the shaft, or you may split the shaft, and/or not have room for the expoxy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Forgot, I would dip the ends when finished in a quality enamel or floor finish, to seal the splice and keep water/moisture from affecting the splice.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Find footing Aluminum Arrows that fit your carbons and get the incerts( & incert are just about an inch long) to fit the Aluminum Arrows and at least an inch over lap and see if that will take care of your long draw. I have been doing this with carbons that split less than a 1/2 inch when hit I cut off the bad part and more then use the footing(my case 2 inches of 2117 with a 2117 incert) and adjust to length (cutting if I need to) they fly just as my other footed shafts( with 2 inch footings)also stands up to hard hits (stumping )even better than plain footed carbons
Hint: round the edges of footings  chuck them in a drill and sand /file the ends rounding them
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
If you can draw 33" and shoot accurately, you will have one devestating combo.  Now you only need the 160+#s that the Mongols used...

There was a guy in the bow shop here several years ago the drew a compound to 34".  He only drew back to a standard anchor.  I am not into sports, but they called him "Big Country".  He was some kind of ball player.

He used an aluminum arrow.  It came in 34" lengths.  You might try some aluminums.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
What size are your carbons AD? 2117 will fit 35/55 GTs. I think it's 2215s that fit 55/77s but I'd have to check the chart here on TG for that right shaft. I know 55/75s are 32" uncut. The nock adds about 1/2". If you foot with a 2.5" piece of alum shafting with insert for the alum you'll be close.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
If you can find another carbon shaft that fits snugly inside of the shafts you're shooting, just cut off a 3-inch piece or so and epoxy half its length into the end of your shaft.  Then epoxy the length extenion you need from a throw away shaft of the size you're shooting onto the 1 1/2 shaft liner. (You may need to sacrifice one normal shaft for several extension pieces.)  This is the way a lot of multi-piece fishing rods are joined.  Might be a better idea to work on shortening your draw. Good luck.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
If I understood you right you said you measured from the nock to the tip of the point,and had 33". Carbon Express has the Heritage arrow shafts that measure 32.75 from the nock valley to the end of the shaft. These shafts left uncut may be long enough for what you want.

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
The shafts are Easton Storm .340 spine. They measure a touch over 32" uncut.

I do happen to have 2 shafts that are broken, so I have enough spare carbon parts!

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I didn't get to the hardware store to find a wooden dowel. I do think the best route is to foot it with another piece of carbon.

I did have a 2219 aluminum shaft that fits over the carbon, but it's a tad loose, and I'd rather not make the outside diameter larger.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©