3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A story of survival  (Read 656 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A story of survival
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
This story could be fact or it could be fiction. Even if it was fictional it very well could happen. The outcome might be different depending on weather the character in the story is prepared or not.

The "Last Defense", LaClair Bowie

It was late October, in Iron County in Michigans western upper peninsula. The sun  had set long ago and I didn't get out of my treestand until it was pretty dark. I started my long trek back to the truck,  My longbow carried at my side as I walked, the bow quiver that was attached to the bow held four razor sharp broadheads and a hex blunt.  

The hunt this afternoon had been pretty uneventful. Except for a doe with twin fawns,  a grouse and a porcupine  the four hour set had been relaxing but unproductive. It was a very dark night. As my dad use to say, "as black as the inside of Toby's hat" My small "Nebo" flashlight powered by a single AAA battery was attached to the brim  of my cap by the clip on the light. The small beam of light was enough to see the trail in front of me but it was ink black to my sides.  

As I walked I was wishing it wasn't so far back to the truck. I  had help from a couple  of the younger guys in camp when we packed in my ladder stand, and I knew if I was  lucky enough to take a deer back in there I'd have to have help again getting it out.  The trail I was walking out on had become pretty packed down from the many trips in  and out to the stand. Over time most of the sticks and twigs had been cleared off the path so my footsteps hardly made a sound as I moved over the ground.  

Suddenly I heard something behind me...a rustle...something, that raised my hackles. I unzipped my heavy CarrHart vest so that the bowie knife that was riding in it's sheath under my arm was more accessible. Then before I could turn  SOMETHING hit me on my  back...HARD!.... I pitched forward, my bow went flying somewhere off to the side,  my cap with the light attached also went flying. My body twisted in mid air so as I hit the  ground I rolled a half turn. The "Thing" on my back was off for a split second but right back on me in a flash.

That split second gave me time to be on my back and bring up my right arm to shield my neck and face. As the creature lunged for my throat, his jaws clamped  down on the heavy leather armguard on my forearm. I could smell his foul breath and I could feel the pressure as his legs and claws raked at my heavy CarrHart outerwear.  What seemed like minutes was really only seconds.

Somehow my free left arm was able to reach the butt of my knife under my right arm. The big blade cleared it's sheath and came up  in an arch to bury it's nearly 10 inch steel blade all the way to the brass guard. The animal screamed and reacted by letting go of my arm and in an instant it was off of me and scrambling away through the brush.    

I kind of rolled on my side and sit up. I reached for my cap which was close by with the little light  still burning brightly. I turned the light on the knife still clenched tightly in my left hand. The blade  was covered with blood it's full length. Some tawny brown hairs clung to the blood and gore. Hairs that would latter tell that my attacker was a cougar.  

My CarrHart clothing was torn in several places by the big cats claws, but somehow, other than  some minor cuts I had avoided any serious injury. What would the outcome have been if it were  not for my trusty blade? I dread to think of how it could have turned out. The Jungle Book story  of Mowgli who  turned his knife that he called his "Tooth" against the tiger Shere Khan come  to mind. My tooth was my LaClair Bowie...my "Last Defense"  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Mr.H

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A story of survival
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Well, I don't carry a bowie, but I do carry a knife on a daily basis.  Good habit to have.

Thanks for the share.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
My knife saved a horse from getting a broken leg once. Had I not kept one in my pocket it would have been a sad ending for the horse. Her leg got wrapped in a lead line and it was pulling against it fiercely torquing the bone and knee joint. The lead line was tied to a horse trailer. A swift slice of the lead line ended the incident quickly. The horse was free with only a slight sprain.

Keep'em close. Keep'em sharp.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  
WOW..what a man, what a salesman, and what a product.  I gotta admit I don't have one, yet, but I do have about a half dozen others.  I'm wantin' one of your Buffalo knives real bad.  One of these days, one of these days..  :archer2:

Offline PTLMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
I like big knives.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I really like the finish on this blade Ron.

Is it color-case hardening from charcoal/bone?

Those knives need to see moose hunts, bear hunts, and hog hunts.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
This is 10,000% why I ordered and carry my Laclair bowie every time I am in the woods. I hunt 90% of the time alone!

Thank you Mr. Laclair for a great product

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Last Sunday, testing broadheads

Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Great story!  Can't wait for mine to arrive!

Like the finish like on the LaClair Bowie as well - is this the finish on your Fighter?

Bob C
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Nothing the LeClair Skinner couldn't handle.  :D
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Bob, your knife is done I'm waiting for the sheath and harness from Art. It should be any day now. Your knife has the same blade finish as the single guard bowie...   :thumbsup:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
But, in the picture, your wearing it under the wrong arm! Love your stories Ron. Real life factional!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Your website continues to impress.
 Every time(almost) I visit there's something new to see. Great story, and very well could be true.
The knife shown at the end of the tale has a few different features than the one you're wearing and as advertised. Is that a variation that is available?
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Great story! I like blades!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
 The knife shown at the end of the tale has a few different features than the one you're wearing and as advertised. Is that a variation that is available?  
Yes, that's the newest version of the Bowie and it will be on the web site very soon.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I dont have a big Bowie but I need to get one "just in case". I even carry my knive to church!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Ron-great story and really gives you something to think about when you are outdoors in the boonies and all alone! This story might not be so far fetched! Two years ago in the UP, west of Escanaba, my cousin Tom was in his evening stand for just a few minutes and he heard and saw what he thought was a doe heading his way. He quickly gathered his bow and before he knew it, there was this cougar right in front of him! Tom commenced to shaking in his boots with a massive adrenalin rush! He realized then that he did not want the big cat to know he was there! Then suddenly, that cat looked up at him and let out a snarl that about curdled Tom's blood! When Tom came back to the cabin that night I knew immediatly that something had happened!
Thanks for the reminder! lol

Kenny   :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Every time I see one of Ron's designs I get excited. I make knives and I still get excited! I just cant help it. It just speaks preparedness!

Just a few short years ago I would scoffed at some of the claims that he is making about his knives. I have never held one of his but now I have held many knives big and small and I know them as well as about anyone. His knives are what he says they are. There are too many knife guys that can testify. Granted, some big "cheap" knives are nothing but glorified boat anchors, but this is not one of those. This a real tool.

Some dont care for the big knives as I once did myself. I have since come to appreciate the awesome cutting ability of a well made, balanced, 10 inch Bowie in the right hands. There is some techinique involved in cutting through different mediums and once a person learns a couple of these techniques, it will probably cause a doubter to start to understand. It's not mystic and it's not a macho thing, as such. It's simply learning how to cut.

I really want to get my hands on one of these knives.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Cool story Ron!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
I thought I already had the perfect knife. Now I know better.

Great story!    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©