3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A story of survival  (Read 662 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A story of survival
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
carry mine OFTEN, it has been many places with me.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Lin, you are too kind Sir     :readit:  

I'm flattered that you'd want to get your hands on one of our knives. I've been admiring your featured knife, the "Hombre" ....can we work a trade?...    :rolleyes:  ...    :knothead:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
Thanks, Ron, for the great service!  I am 100% that this knife will get as many positive comments as both my Shrew Hawk and LIL' Shaver have.

Need to place an order for some more LIL' Shavers (two) for customers of mine.  I'll email in order with details this AM and will contact you this morning to follow up!

Thanks, again, and give my compiments to your blacksmith and sheath maker as well!

Bob C
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
Great story my friend!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Ok Ron, like I did not already have a rough time walking out in the dark. Now I will be looking for big cats;)
I got charged to 20 yards by one last week. It was just a small Momma Bobcat. I got in between her and her kit. Very cool! OK, I admit, I pulled my sidearm. But I did put it back when she stopped  :)
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Katie, as if you weren't already a dangerous woman,..now you're packing heat..     :scared:  

:biglaugh:  

The new "Defender" Bowie is now available on the web site.   http://www.shrewbows.com/bowie_defender.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks Ron: finally a good post without any Tec stuff.

Online Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
GREAT story  :scared:

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Yes, you should always strive to be as high up on the food chain as possible.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I carry a fixed blade knife even though my folder is what I generally use, but as you say "you can't be too careful".  That's one reason I also carry a sidearm. Even though I have the gun, there is a very reassuring feel to a sturdy knife. Perhaps that is a throw back to my Neanderthal roots.  Ron LaClair's knife is truly a goodie, and I wish I had one.
Sam

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
Cool stuff Mr. Ron. Big knives,longbows,Hawks and a 45. You would fit in good down here...you sure you ain`t a swamper???. lol.RC

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Been carrying one like that a friend made me 30 yrs ago. Hunt an area in Eastern NC, called Pungo, the area is loaded with deer, also bears, and red wolves. Have had many a deer taken from me by bears. The place is a wildlife refuge and only open during bow season and in Nov. The only allowable game to take is deer, and its not rare to see 10 bears every time you take a stand. Real spooky riding your bicycle out in the dark. Rons story made me think about how dangerous it is to hunt there, and thats why I had my friend make me a bowie knife to carry. The bears make it scary hunting there but you see more wildlife in a day than you see all year in some places.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
So there's that many bears in the area and you're not allowed to hunt them?...Sounds like Game Mismanagement to me..

Some may think that carrying a big knife is not much protection against bears but it'll give you a comfortable feeling to have none the less.

I just got off the phone with C.L. Matteo the blacksmith who makes my knives and Hawks and we were discussing the new "Defender" Bowie. I told him it would be reassuring to have the knife with you not only in the woods but also if you ever had to go into some of the rough areas of some of the big citys it might come in handy. (remember Mick Dundee in NYC?) He said he didn't think you should use a knife like that on a human. I told him,   with a knife like this you don't have to draw blood, just draw steel ...   :bigsmyl:

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Ron,if you haven't,you should read the story of Harry Wolhuter,Kruger National Park's first game ranger who killed a male African lion with a 6" sheath knife as it was dragging him off to make a meal.
 http://www.kimwolhuter.com/harry.htm

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
A large knife is good to have, a .45ACP better, but, both are worthless unless you have the will to use them.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Thanks for the link Jim, I've read that story before but it's been a long time ago. It kind of gives credence to my fictitious tale..   :readit:

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
It definitely does.There was also an older gentleman that saved his own life with a buck folding knife when a tom lion jumped on him while hiking on Vancouver Island,BC.He got hurt pretty bad but he managed to pull the knife,open it and kill the lion,after it latched onto his neck.

I haven't carried a knife on my belt for years but this story and some others,plus a big increase in lions where I often travel alone,has changed that.This year I've started to carry a 6" sheath knife across my chest(and it's honed) in addition to another weapon under my arm.I think the big knife is a very good idea.Probably never need it but I bet the guy on Vancouver is glad he carried his.

I think the method of carry needs to withstand a hard slam also.Your shoulder harness looks just right to me.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
That story raised the hair on the back of my neck! I went up into Ontario with my two sons. Actually, we were rifle hunting, but having read all of the horror stories on Canada's gun laws, I was being very law-abiding. After leaving my stand at dark, my gun was unloaded and securely in it's case hanging from my shoulder. I had at least 3 bears prowling around me as I stood at the end of a two-track waiting for my older son to come pick me up. Every once in awhile, a large dark form would cross the two-track silhouetted by the moonlight.

I never told my son, but I did have a medium sized "hunter's bowie" in my hand the whole time. Not as good as a man-sized one like yours, but would sure beat fingernails and teeth   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the Read Ron, definately has happened before. No Big Cats in my neck of the woods but I have been "Hunted" a couple of times by Wild Dogs.

The Scariest was Hunting on my own way out in Western Queensland several Kilometres from Camp. It was fast approaching Dark when the Hairs on the back of my neck "Stood Up' just as described in your story Ron. I turned and was startled to see a large German Shepherd Cross Feral Dog, crouched ready to attack just about 20 yards away.

I attacked it first, running and screaming at it. At that time I only carried a large folding knife. The Dog retreated but shadowed me 30 yards to my left through the Scrub as I jogged back to Camp. I have carried a Green River Hunter Sheath Knife since

Only a couple of weeks ago when I came back to browse Tradgang after a long absence I visited your Site Ron. I spied your Shoulder Harness and being a Leather Craftsman I will be making one for my new Bowie which has a 9" Blade. Not what you want to hear on a commercial basis but thanks for the inspiration

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
I just got off the phone with C.L. Matteo the blacksmith who makes my knives and Hawks and we were discussing the new "Defender" Bowie. I told him it would be reassuring to have the knife with you not only in the woods but also if you ever had to go into some of the rough areas of some of the big citys it might come in handy. (remember Mick Dundee in NYC?) He said he didn't think you should use a knife like that on a human. I told him,   with a knife like this you don't have to draw blood, just draw steel ...    :bigsmyl:  
The city streets can be nasty indeed.  Problem is concealing a big Bowie knife while in the city.   I carry an SOG twitch which I can pull out of my pocket and flick open with one hand in an instant. I get into some rough city areas at times.  That Bowie knife is awesome though!
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©