3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you guys prepare your Hunting Clothes  (Read 792 times)

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you guys prepare your Hunting Clothes
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Just wondering how everyone gets there hunting clothes, boots ready for season. Do you hand wash them and air dry outside? Just wondering I used to use scentlok and I would use the dryer etc to heat activate it. No I have switched to just regular clothes, and bought some predator camo from st joe river.And was wondering what your routine was.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you guys prepare your Hunting Clothes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
clothes I machine wash in baking soda.....air dry outside...and leave outside for couple days then put in tupperware bin with some evergreen and oak leaves.

boots...hose off with water hose....put upside down outside to let sun and rain get on them.

in between washings....air out in sun on porch rails and porch chairs...or if in camp on bushes and tree limbs turned inside out facing sun and air.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Brock,bingo!! I do as he does. rat'   :thumbsup:
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I do the same as above but put earth scent wafers in container.  Ken

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
About the only thin I do is sprinkle in some baking soda on my clothes and make sure I spend a little time standing in the first cow pie that comes along-Elk poo works great too. Bring wind indicator and use it often!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
I keep things hanging out of the sun to prevent UV damage.

Spray with homemade permetherine spray at least two weeks befre the hunt. (watered down concentrate) You'll need it Brain for the chiggers this year. They are brutal.

I bought some of those earth smell dryer sheets. I place the clothes in big rubbermaid bins with one or two sheets so the smell transfers.

Rotten leaves in the bottom of a bin with a towlel over the leaves, then clothers, also does the same thing. Make sure the leaves aren't too moist. Mildew will form.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I used to be really careful, did all that stuff.  Bought all that stuff to try.  

I still wash my clothing in scent free UV free detergent.  That is it though.  

I store most of them in an open tupperware storage container in the back of my truck (w topper).  I play the wind, religiously.  I am thinking now that most times, all the rest really doesn't matter a bit.  If you are upwind. .  you're busted.

ChuckC

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Im with ChuckC.

Dont really think about it too much.  I usually hunt in what Im wearing that day.  Dont usually wear full camo.  The deer havent noticed.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Sport wash.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
At the end of each season, I wash everything that can be and hang it in my "hunting closet".
Boots get thoroughly cleaned and I put the leather "goo" on and my rubber boots get Armouralled.
Those clothes and boots are for that only.
When the season starts, I just put them on.
I no longer believe the "Nose" can be beaten. No cover scent, no pine boughs, or whatever.
One time I went to hang a stand and got descented, rubber boots with "no smellum spray", good to go I thought. This was on our land and my wife says, I'll bring the dog and we'll go for a walk. I'm up in the tree and hear the dogs bell coming. A Beagle.
He had his nose stuck right to the ground to just past my tree, stops, turns to the tree, walks over and looks right up at me.
Keeping things relatively clean and doing my best with the wind is my strategy now.
To each, his own.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Never wash my hunting clothes except my pants...need to get the blood stains out. Keep them in an airtight container after the season, air them out prior to the season, then spray them down with my masking scents. Same with boots.....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
Dry clean everything it is all wool, except for my underwear and boots; I have many different types of boots, everything from canvas to moose hide mocs to Ely,Mn made mukluks. I have not seen where the scent of my tread alarms deer so I simply clean them and spray them with waterproofing treatment.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by WidowEater:
Im with ChuckC.

Dont really think about it too much.  I usually hunt in what Im wearing that day.  Dont usually wear full camo.  The deer havent noticed.
Same here. So hot in early season here, it wouldn't matter if I washed them in paint thinner. Soaked in sweat before ever hitting the stand.

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
I just put them on and go. I'd rather hunt than wash clothes.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
I live in the sticks and wear mine yr round. The heavy wool and cold weather stuff I put in a big zip up bag that bed comforters come in, more to keep bugs off than anything else. I don't really practice scent control. Just hope I see something between wind shifts.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I air out my wool (which is about all I wear) a day or two and wash it about every 5 years if it needs it. Usually wear rubber Muck boots and don't do anything to them but put them on.  Rub leather conditioner into my leather boots.  That's it.

If you're upwind, most critters are going to smell you most of the time, regardless of how careful you are.  Body and hair odor, breath, etc.  soon overpowers any precautions you take with your clothing.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
Wear rubber boots which i spray with scent killer. As for hunting clothes I wash with scent free detergent and air dry them before hunting. Keep them in a rubbermaid container but will hang them up to get any scent out if the weather is nice. Then I playthe wind because nothing is going to save you if the wind is blowing your scent to them.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Wash with baking soda, air dry, then place them in a rubber maid container with baking soda.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I machine wash all my clothes with a scent free washing detergent and then put them in by bag. As for boots I just let them air out in between hunting trips.
James Kerr

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Like Brock,but put cedar in with them
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©